Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
This is a thread for posting some of your favorite images from SF & Fantasy.

Could be book covers or illustrations, or movie and/or TV stills. Or even rock & albums (several come to mind).

I hope others will contribute and I'll learn about some artists that I previously did not know.

I'll start with some from Frank Kelly Freas, and will follow-up with other well-known artists from the pulp-fiction era.

I'll limit myself to three images per post (but not three images per artist :D).

1663551611848.png

freas-art-for-queen-and-astounding-sci-fi.jpg

Frank-Kelly-Freas-Sci-Fi-artwork-from-1953.jpg

Last edited:
Frank Frazetta did some of the most iconic book covers in fantasy.

My first foray into the fantastical world created by Robert Howard had this cover:

lancer-conan.jpg
RTEPage-007_frank_frazetta_manape.jpg

And many of his other works are quite well known:

Frazetta1.jpeg

album_flirtin_with_disaster.jpg

Can't post any now, and most are NSFW, but my all time favorite fantasy artist is Luis Royo.

Michael Whelan has done some really nice art for some really good fantasy works.

Brandon Sanderson - The Way Of Kings

wayofkings.jpg

Tad Williams - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy

stone-of-farewell.jpg

Anne McCaffrey - Dragonflight

960.jpg

Chesley Bonestell was one of the very first to start producing what is now called space art. Robert Heinlein used his name as a verb in some of his work.

MHCD-011-300x.jpg
21_ExplorationOfMars.jpg

01a_SaturnasSeen1944.jpg

BONESTSATURN.jpg

2978168.jpg

I've owned this book, and 'Masters of Horror' since I was about 9-10 years old. The cover art of both creeped me out :eek:

Always had a soft spot for Cassaday's artwork in Planetary (which, by the way, is a phenomenal science fiction comic, if any of you have any interest in such a thing!)

planetary-12-cover.jpg

Love old comic book artwork. This one is by George Wilson.

So did I.

When I was a little kid I loved dinosaurs and military stuff so, naturally, when I found out there were comic books that combined the two I was enthralled.

For those that never heard of this comic, there were dozens of them, if not hundreds, that featured WWII soldiers battling dinos and none better than Star Spangled War Stories.

Here's one for ya, Hawg:

Thanks. I might poke around and see if I can find some of these things and read them again. It can be really cool to revisit something that you only semi-remember from your past and most times I am not disappointed.

Somebody should really turn these into a movie franchise. They'd really be fun if done right and I believe they would be wildly successful.

While I don't know much about current comics, I do have some by Alex Ross whose go-to style of hyper-realism is quite amazing. I wonder what Jack Kirby would have made of this guy's work?

Frank Frazetta did some of the most iconic book covers in fantasy.
Loved Frazetta's covers of Edgar Rice BUrroughs works. ERB lucked out with some pretty good illustrators. J. Allen St John did the glossy plates and dust jackets for early hard cover editions, and after a bit of boring covers Roy Krenkal did some good ones which might have been great except that Frazetta trumped him.

My favorites are the covers he did for the Mars series for the Doubleday SF book club, though I confess to liking the campy beautiful blonde wearing a bikini and a glass globe over her hear covers of old Amazing, Astounding, etc pulp magazines

Loved Frazetta's covers of Edgar Rice BUrroughs works. ERB lucked out with some pretty good illustrators. J. Allen St John did the glossy plates and dust jackets for early hard cover editions, and after a bit of boring covers Roy Krenkal did some good ones which might have been great except that Frazetta trumped him.

My favorites are the covers he did for the Mars series for the Doubleday SF book club, though I confess to liking the campy beautiful blonde wearing a bikini and a glass globe over her hear covers of old Amazing, Astounding, etc pulp magazines

I will definitely be revisiting Frazetta at some point (unless other posters get to him first), and I plan on devoting at least one post to the ERB "John Carter of Mars" covers.

Back