Science Fiction and Fantasy Art

I remembered Larry Elmore thanks to the Dragonlance series. Outstanding stuff

That guy defined fantasy art for me as a kid. Same with Frank Frazetta.

Larry also did one of my favorite science fiction covers of all time. I bought Shadowrun because of the cover art. Had no idea if the game was any good. He did some Star Frontiers too.

Paul and Stephen Youll are twin brothers who are Fantasy & SF artists.

Here is some of Stephen's work. He did the cover for A Game Of Thrones, as well as some of the other covers for A Song Of Ice And Fire.

a-game-of-thrones-stephen-youll.jpg
1663552894764.png

tumblr_nqh03i086q1ric2iqo1_1280.jpg

Stephen%20Youll%20-%20Into%20The%20Labyrinth.jpg

Last edited:
Virgil Finlay is in the Science Fiction Hall Of Fame.

Much of his work is pen and ink. Pretty cool stuff.

a975e3e280497c0e33a14766e281093d.jpg
2-VF-lg.jpg

Finlay-I-Hate-You.jpg

6078668515_afa93613de_o.jpg

Last edited:
Wish I saw this sooner....but too late.

I was always a Frazetta guy, and I was a huge fan of both Conan and Elric of Melnibone (which I am STILL waiting for a good movie based on the Elric saga.....and waiting...and waiting...)...Boris....

Tip and OPT beat me to it.

But probably my true favorite of all time...H.R. Giger...

75e6617da05515304d6c5b893f95c7fe.jpg

3477ebffb7c0f7d5f6c72836ae480b46.jpg

resource.php

Last edited:
Greg and Tim Hildebrand:

100910b.jpg

One of the best: Roger Dean
Ah, I thought that might be Dean, wasn't sure. I mostly know his stuff from his Yes album covers, and the Uriah Heep Demons & Wizards cover.

I was planning on getting around to him, but am happy to have others post his work, too.

Jean Giraud is a French artist; he did the artwork for Stan Lee's Silver Surfer.

He has a very distinctive style, which is apparent in these images.

1988fff1160c2630d76515f19123a2cd.jpg

84b66100201ff4cf425d4cdeaf2d0107.jpg

ART-F92-339-153-180.jpg

Moebius did so many amazing things, TipRoast. Thanks for reminding me :)
I was sad when he passed a few years ago.

His Silver Surfer is very underrated, iyam.

Pauline Baynes has had her work grace the covers and interiors of some of the most well-known works of fantasy.

Lord%2Bof%2Brings.jpg

51K03tlofOL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

bombadil-cover.jpg

Odd request here folks.. I see a lot of Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury references above and thought someone here might have a clue... I've been looking for a book of short stories I read in the early 80's (1981-ish) since then really. Anyhow, the cover depicted a picture of an elder gentleman shot from above he was wearing a black suit and something like a black bowler hat, and he was holding a gigantic shelled peanut in his outstretched hands. I want to say the title of the book was "Possibilities".. but am likely mistaken. Just throwing it out there to the sci-fi aficionados if it might jog someone's memory, thx :)

Odd request here folks.. I see a lot of Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury references above and thought someone here might have a clue... I've been looking for a book of short stories I read in the early 80's (1981-ish) since then really. Anyhow, the cover depicted a picture of an elder gentleman shot from above he was wearing a black suit and something like a black bowler hat, and he was holding a gigantic shelled peanut in his outstretched hands. I want to say the title of the book was "Possibilities".. but am likely mistaken. Just throwing it out there to the sci-fi aficionados if it might jog someone's memory, thx :)

From your description, the cover sounds Magritte-inspired, maybe something like this?

presence_of_mind.jpg

I did some searches on Google and Amazon, didn't find anything.

Do your recall if this anthology was by a single author, or was it by several different writers?

While doing the search I mentioned in the previous post, I came across these book covers - all were part of my initial paperback collection. (The Flying Sorcerers was one of the last to be added, just before I left for college.)

One of my favorite authors was Robert Scheckley. Loved the two books I had by him - Dimension Of Miracles and The People Trap (full title: The People Trap And Other Pitfalls, Snares, Devices, And Delusions, As Well As Two Sniggles And A Contrivance). Some of it was laugh-out-loud funny.

ec11f9d7ba5aa2c23503832e8754e60c.jpg
220px-DimensionOfMiracles.jpg
c2449bbbfbcc2ba4b49047bcdea5b6bb.jpg

2d81c93034981586bb19d35ed1feb333.jpg

I've been looking for a book of short stories I read in the early 80's (1981-ish) since then really. Anyhow, the cover depicted a picture of an elder gentleman shot from above he was wearing a black suit and something like a black bowler hat, and he was holding a gigantic shelled peanut in his outstretched hands. I want to say the title of the book was "Possibilities".. but am likely mistaken.

Closest I could find:
28499132.jpg

Maybe you were eating a bag of these while reading it:
f0e51cbd7ab866ee326f07dcdbc5209d.jpg

From your description, the cover sounds Magritte-inspired, maybe something like this?

presence_of_mind.jpg

I did some searches on Google and Amazon, didn't find anything.

Do your recall if this anthology was by a single author, or was it by several different writers?

Great offer TipRoast, however it was a photograph of an elderly gentleman from approximately 45 degrees above, with arms outstretched, palms up, holding a giant peanut.. lol

Thanks for putting some thought to it though.. :)

Closest I could find:
28499132.jpg

Maybe you were eating a bag of these while reading it:
f0e51cbd7ab866ee326f07dcdbc5209d.jpg

Well, that has potential! Except for the cover. I was trying to find a list of the stories in this book... One of them, perhaps the first one, was called Blood Letting I believe... Thanks Bishy! Mr. Peanut notwithstanding lol.. :)

Well, that has potential! Except for the cover. I was trying to find a list of the stories in this book... One of them, perhaps the first one, was called Blood Letting I believe... Thanks Bishy! Mr. Peanut notwithstanding lol.. :)

Tough one.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Possibilities-Collection-Stories-Stephen-Editors/dp/B000AN347I

Possibilities a Collection of Short Stories Paperback – 1973
by Stephen, Henry B. Maloney And Lahna Diskin; Editors. Dunning
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Book Services (1973)
Language: English
ASIN: B000AN347I

No cover though. I also googled the crap out of it and there is not much info to find. However, it was released in 1973 from Scholastic and includes "Possibilities" in the title. I got the impression this was a book you read in school so I thought this might be a possibility :coffee:

Short stories mentioned in that Amazon review are: Includes the classic stories "button, button", "the public hating", "harrison bergeron", and "the chase".

One of the problems is that book covers change so much.

Tough one.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Possibilities-Collection-Stories-Stephen-Editors/dp/B000AN347I

Possibilities a Collection of Short Stories Paperback – 1973
by Stephen, Henry B. Maloney And Lahna Diskin; Editors. Dunning
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Book Services (1973)
Language: English
ASIN: B000AN347I

No cover though. I also googled the crap out of it and there is not much info to find. However, it was released in 1973 from Scholastic and includes "Possibilities" in the title. I got the impression this was a book you read in school so I thought this might be a possibility :coffee:

Short stories mentioned in that Amazon review are: Includes the classic stories "button, button", "the public hating", "harrison bergeron", and "the chase".

One of the problems is that book covers change so much.

'Taker? You rocked the %$&@ out of that.. OMG I've been looking for so long, I used your link, the one you pointed out wasn't the one, but another search led to this.... http://www.librarything.com/work/5023916

I thank all you guys for looking into it! Wow, just wow! Great book by the way.. :) :)

Back