Sean Payton - Most Underrated Coach in the League?

My thread was not based on just week one. It was based on the last 2+ seasons of Payton winning games with 3 different QBs with Brees either sidelined or retired.
There goes them goalposts again!

Cheers

11-2 now without Brees the last 2+ years. :coffee:

That still doesn't make him underrated. :coffee:
It doesn't? I mean he is winning games with cast off QBs and a gadget QB. I don't hear anyone in the media really talking about it. If you find something, please post it here and I will reconsider and we can discuss.

I don't know what you consider underrated but to me being ranked the 3rd best NFL HC is not being underrated.

Ranking the NFL's best head coaches for the 2021 season from 1-32
  • Bill Belichick, Patriots. Last year: 1. ...
  • Andy Reid, Chiefs. Last year: 2. ...
  • Sean Payton, Saints. Last year:3. ...

I don't know what you consider underrated but to me being ranked the 3rd best NFL HC is not being underrated.

Ranking the NFL's best head coaches for the 2021 season from 1-32
  • Bill Belichick, Patriots. Last year: 1. ...
  • Andy Reid, Chiefs. Last year: 2. ...
  • Sean Payton, Saints. Last year:3. ...
I mean more of the narrative not just rankings. I just don't hear him get mentioned much on the shows or even in the media for what he has been doing without Brees for quite time now with pretty average QBs. Take for example, Andy Reid. People talk a ton about his successes with Alex Smith and McNabb before he got Mahomes. The QBs Payton has been winning with are not on the level of a McNabb or a Smith IMO.

I mean more of the narrative not just rankings. I just don't hear him get mentioned much on the shows or even in the media for what he has been doing without Brees for quite time now with pretty average QBs. Take for example, Andy Reid. People talk a ton about his successes with Alex Smith and McNabb before he got Mahomes. The QBs Payton has been winning with are not on the level of a McNabb or a Smith IMO.
Goal posts. Again. They're off!
It's obvious he meant ratings not rankings. Silly me.

Btw, I believe she has an invention that automatically moves the goal posts when necessary.

They would have been 11-4 if Brady didn’t suck yesterday.

Talk about letting your team down!

He was probably watching the scoreboard and just as pissed about the patriots win as you are. Distracted.

It was pretty poor coaching decisions when they had the ball in the red zone, 2 minutes left and a first down, and only took 8 seconds off the clock. Three incomplete passes in a row. That really could have come back to bite them with Brady on the other side. They were fortunate that Brady suddenly got old and couldn't see the defender he threw the ball directly to.

:coffee:

It was pretty poor coaching decisions when they had the ball in the red zone, 2 minutes left and a first down, and only took 8 seconds off the clock. Three incomplete passes in a row. That really could have come back to bite them with Brady on the other side. They were fortunate that Brady suddenly got old and couldn't see the defender he threw the ball directly to.

I didn't mind that at all. The Bucs had 2 TOs and the thinking there was a FG was not going to be enough as Brady has been doing GWD all season. They were going for the kill shot against a Bucs secondary that has been absolute trash.

I didn't mind that at all. The Bucs had 2 TOs and the thinking there was a FG was not going to be enough as Brady has been doing GWD all season. They were going for the kill shot against a Bucs secondary that has been absolute trash.
I don't think that is quite right as the Bucs didn't have any timeouts when they got the ball with 1:41 left.

Or maybe I am old too.

I don't think that is quite right as the Bucs didn't have any timeouts when they got the ball with 1:41 left.

Or maybe I am old too.
I am pretty sure they had 2. I do think Payton should have at least run at first down to make them burn one but it didn't matter as for some reason Brady was looking deep on the last drive despite only needing a FG to win. Frustrating.

This is a really, really good point. The crappy Saints coaching was really bailed out by Brady being a terrible QB. Or maybe another way to look at it is that Peyton realizes that Brady is washed, and essentially was just willing to put the game in the hands of his defense, knowing 1) the Bucs would make the boneheaded mistake of trying to rely on Brady to save the day, and 2) that his defense would make them pay.

So really, both Sean Peyton and Brady suck, one way or another. It was just a matter of whose screw-up would overwhelm the other's.

12-3 with Bridgewater, Hill, Winston and awful Siemian. Best coach in the league by far IMO.

Back