Sean Payton - Most Underrated Coach in the League?

LOL. You sure do think funny.

You're falling into the familiar trap of using wins to evaluate QB performance. "...he was the favorite, a loss to the Rams when he was also favored". You know better than that.
The team was favored!!

Go look at his personal QB stats to get the cold hard truth.
You'll find his playoff stats barely dropped even as the playoff competition got much better. His QB stats stayed even keel.
Here, I'll do the work so you can see for yourself.

You can easily toggle between career and playoffs. EZ

Except, of course for last year, when he could barely throw a football bc of his shoulder injury. 1 bad year in 10 does not make him a playoff choker as you assert.

So maybe it wasn't that Brees "is a playoff choker" after all. Maybe instead it's that HC Sean Payton is the choker who spit the bit.

Chevs, you know stats are not what counts in the post-season. No one is looking at stats to measure greatness in the post-season. It's wins and being clutch. Brees has ZERO game winning drives/4th quarter comebacks in the playoffs. Even Manning has 2. His choke jobs vs the Vikings and Rams are pretty legendary. Go to the Saints Super fan forum. Even his own fanbase calls him one of the biggest chokers. The Saints should have been in the SB the last 4 seasons when just about every football analyst/pundit had them as the favorites.
If his stats show more or less no drop off from the regular season, that means that on a relative basis he is outperforming statistically, since he is by definition facing better teams, see above. That said, Brees has not shown himself to be particularly clutch, in the regular season or in the playoffs. But he's certainly not a choke artist. He's performed essentially as expected in the playoffs. He's been a steady, predictable performer regardless of the situation - ice man. He seems neither to get rattled nor to rise to meet the moment.

Sure. It's a shot at Bill and not the fact that we have to play the Saints in 2 weeks which most thought would be an easier game on our schedule because Brees retired. Nope. Payton has Winston and that offense smoking and that was without Michael Thomas.

And your thoughts now?
:coffee:

SMOKED by Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

And your thoughts now?
:coffee:

SMOKED by Carolina.

One game. The Saints were missing all their assistant coaches due to Covid.

Also Darnold looks reborn in Carolina. Amazing what leaving the Jete can do for your career.

One game. The Saints were missing all their assistant coaches due to Covid.

Also Darnold looks reborn in Carolina. Amazing what leaving the Jete can do for your career.
Would you agree then that one loss in difficult circumstances, even if it's against a divisional opponent, is not a cause to freak out, and not an indictment on the capabilities of a coach with a proven record of success?

Would you agree then that one loss in difficult circumstances, even if it's against a divisional opponent, is not a cause to freak out, and not an indictment on the capabilities of a coach with a proven record of success?
This thread is not about Bill.

Amazing coaching job to come back from that deficit. Unreal even!
Can you even imagine another head coach leading his team back from a 10 point deficit in a Super Bowl?

How crazy would it be if it happened twice? Each time after your hall of fame quarterback threw game-crippling, rookie-style interceptions.

The biggest knock on Brees to me are his splits playing in a dome vs outside. He just wasn’t the same guy in the elements and that’s often a big part of the postseason.

Sean Payton is definitely in the top 5 for the best coaches in the NFL. However Sean was operating with a maxed out credit card as far as the salary cap and still couldn't get it done with a HOF caliber QB. Winning regular season games isn't exactly the most impressive thing to me. In my eyes Sean Payton is on the level of a Mike Tomlin or a Pete Carroll. The team should be glad they have him instead of the Mike McCarthys or Freddie Kitchens of the world, a rare talent, but can't get it done consistently even with elite talent and unlikely to make it into the HOF.
I agree with top 5. He is that good for sure.

The last 2+ seasons he is 10-2 without his HoF QB - 5-0 with Bridgewater, 4-1 with Hill and currently 1-1 with Winston. Pretty impressive which is why I started the thread.

The biggest knock on Brees to me are his splits playing in a dome vs outside. He just wasn’t the same guy in the elements and that’s often a big part of the postseason.
Very true but he lost his last 3 playoff games at home to the Vikings, Rams and Bucs. He was the favorite in all 3. He has been one of the biggest playoff chokers of all time for a HoF caliber QB.

Very true but he lost his last 3 playoff games at home to the Vikings, Rams and Bucs. He was the favorite in all 3. He has been one of the biggest playoff chokers of all time for a HoF caliber QB.
But Payton isn't. Got it.

My post was in your response to the Week 1 win by the Saints.

My thread was not based on just week one. It was based on the last 2+ seasons of Payton winning games with 3 different QBs with Brees either sidelined or retired.

Back