Settling Debts

Oswlek

Reaction score
By now I've exposed myself as being overly analytic to anyone who's been on this board for more than a week and a half. And when I don that cap, I have to admit that it is hard for me to see the Patriots being any more than a 50/50 bet to take down the Giants on Sunday.

Despite this, I've noticed some 2001-esque forces at work that give me stoic confidence in NE's chances.

The first and most obvious is the chance for redemption against every team that knocked NE out of the playoffs since their last superbowl. Even the degrees seem to align properly. Only the Jets and Indy won't be potentially dispatched of in the playoffs but NE was personally responsible for NY's absence and winning the SB on Indy's field in the same season that their franchise crumbled is poetic justice.

The matchups have a preordained feeling, with the games prior seeming to break in miraculous fashion to ensure the proper opponent. This was why, late in the third quarter when SF was kicking NY's ass up and down the field leading 14-10 I turned to my wife and said, "I don't know how, but NY is going to win this game. Probably someone will do something incredibly stupid with 30 seconds left and hand them a free game winning FG".

Beyond that, there some fascinating parallels between this year and 2007.

* Both defenses had a late season injury to their right side edge rusher, Colvin and Carter respectively. The difference is that the 2007 was never quite the same, whereas this squad has surprisingly improved in Andre's absence.

* WalkingBootGate and WalkingBootGate2

* In both seasons, the SB is a rematch of a closely contested regular season game. Stretching things a bit further, in 2007 NE beat NY by a single score in their final preseason game and their regular season contest, only to be taken down in the finale. This time it was NY winning by single scores early on. FWIW, SB rematches of close games have gone to the loser 6 times out of 7.

* The Giants' season itself bears striking similarities. A 38-35 loss to a team seemingly destined to go undefeated and then beating said opponent in the playoffs. Barely even making the playoffs after some mediocre play all season, especially from the defense which became a strength in the playoffs. Playoffs wins over an average AFCS team, and then beating #1 and #2 on the road.

* "How are they going to stop their passing game with that MVP caliber QB and all those receivers?"

* Most importantly, one of my biggest vicarious laments about 2007 was that the Patriots weren't able to complete their tribute to Marquise Hill. Under most circumstances, his death would have been an overriding storyline heading into the superbowl. Instead, spygate and 19-0 overwhelmed it and barely a soul even remembers.

The family was burdened with another loss this season, and MHK isn't going to be overshadowed by anything, in the newspapers or, most importantly, in the locker room.

Are these coincidences? Is it Karma teeing things up to let the Patriots settle all debts from the past 7 years? Is this why I'm not surprised in the least that NE has the flu bug is running through the locker room again, just like their last playoff contest on this field?

Perhaps I'm deluding myself, but I've become convinced that NE is going to win this game. Yes, none of this will matter at 6:30, but sometimes you can just feel magic as it is happening.

Den-in-NH posted a conversation with Heath Evans a few years back that insinuated that the Patriots were tired team heading into TGSTNBM. In an effort to avoid the media circus and to keep the team from becoming too complacent, he worked them very hard in practices the week prior.

Not only is this team more energetic and enthusiastic than that squad was, they won't be need to conquer history this time around, just a game. Something tells me they will.

By now I've exposed myself as being overly analytic to anyone who's been on this board for more than a week and a half. And when I don that cap, I have to admit that it is hard for me to see the Patriots being any more than a 50/50 bet to take down the Giants on Sunday.

Despite this, I've noticed some 2001-esque forces at work that give me stoic confidence in NE's chances.

The first and most obvious is the chance for redemption against every team that knocked NE out of the playoffs since their last superbowl. Even the degrees seem to align properly. Only the Jets and Indy won't be potentially dispatched of in the playoffs but NE was personally responsible for NY's absence and winning the SB on Indy's field in the same season that their franchise crumbled is poetic justice.

The matchups have a preordained feeling, with the games prior seeming to break in miraculous fashion to ensure the proper opponent. This was why, late in the third quarter when SF was kicking NY's ass up and down the field leading 14-10 I turned to my wife and said, "I don't know how, but NY is going to win this game. Probably someone will do something incredibly stupid with 30 seconds left and hand them a free game winning FG".

Beyond that, there some fascinating parallels between this year and 2007.

* Both defenses had a late season injury to their right side edge rusher, Colvin and Carter respectively. The difference is that the 2007 was never quite the same, whereas this squad has surprisingly improved in Andre's absence.

* WalkingBootGate and WalkingBootGate2

* In both seasons, the SB is a rematch of a closely contested regular season game. Stretching things a bit further, in 2007 NE beat NY by a single score in their final preseason game and their regular season contest, only to be taken down in the finale. This time it was NY winning by single scores early on. FWIW, SB rematches of close games have gone to the loser 6 times out of 7.

* The Giants' season itself bears striking similarities. A 38-35 loss to a team seemingly destined to go undefeated and then beating said opponent in the playoffs. Barely even making the playoffs after some mediocre play all season, especially from the defense which became a strength in the playoffs. Playoffs wins over an average AFCS team, and then beating #1 and #2 on the road.

* "How are they going to stop their passing game with that MVP caliber QB and all those receivers?"

* Most importantly, one of my biggest vicarious laments about 2007 was that the Patriots weren't able to complete their tribute to Marquise Hill. Under most circumstances, his death would have been an overriding storyline heading into the superbowl. Instead, spygate and 19-0 overwhelmed it and barely a soul even remembers.

The family was burdened with another loss this season, and MHK isn't going to be overshadowed by anything, in the newspapers or, most importantly, in the locker room.

Are these coincidences? Is it Karma teeing things up to let the Patriots settle all debts from the past 7 years? Is this why I'm not surprised in the least that NE has the flu bug is running through the locker room again, just like their last playoff contest on this field?

Perhaps I'm deluding myself, but I've become convinced that NE is going to win this game. Yes, none of this will matter at 6:30, but sometimes you can just feel magic as it is happening.

Den-in-NH posted a conversation with Heath Evans a few years back that insinuated that the Patriots were tired team heading into TGSTNBM. In an effort to avoid the media circus and to keep the team from becoming too complacent, he worked them very hard in practices the week prior.

Not only is this team more energetic and enthusiastic than that squad was, they won't be need to conquer history this time around, just a game. Something tells me they will.

Good post Os - I too have noticed the similarities and they are striking.

I was indeed privelaged to meet and work with Heath in 2007 when I organized an event for his charity. He was very forthcoming - kind of surprising for a Patriot - some of the stuff he told me was really shocking in the fact that I just couldn't believe a Patriot was telling me this stuff!

I've stayed casually close to Heath over the years - we've exchanged emails and Facebook messages a couple of times - most recently when he was hired by NFLN.

One of the things he said after TGTSNBM (and I think he may have since talked about this on NFLN - like I said somewhere else as an analyst he's been pretty forthcoming) - anyway, he said that BB made the guys do full pad practices several days in a row before the SB and they were all exhausted. Said they really needed rest after doing the media bit and all, but BB thought the team was being complacent after the perfect season. He feared they were taking the Giants lightly. And then to compound the issue he said the hotel in Arizona was AWFUL. He said the rooms were gross, the bathrooms grosser, and the beds were like rocks. He said Sunday morning Randy Moss was complaining that he hadn't slept a wink. He said the whole team was tired and cranky.

I think BB has learned from this. It's pretty evident he's trying to keep the team loose and comfortable and relaxed. I doubt they'll be doing any full pad practices this time around. And I bet he made damn sure the matresses were soft this time around.

Hopefully everybody gets stays loose, gets a good night sleep, and we see a more comfortable team take the field this time around.

I was indeed privelaged to meet and work with Heath in 2007 when I organized an event for his charity. He was very forthcoming - kind of surprising for a Patriot - some of the stuff he told me was really shocking in the fact that I just couldn't believe a Patriot was telling me this stuff!

I've stayed casually close to Heath over the years - we've exchanged emails and Facebook messages a couple of times - most recently when he was hired by NFLN.

One of the things he said after TGTSNBM (and I think he may have since talked about this on NFLN - like I said somewhere else as an analyst he's been pretty forthcoming) - anyway, he said that BB made the guys do full pad practices several days in a row before the SB and they were all exhausted. Said they really needed rest after doing the media bit and all, but BB thought the team was being complacent after the perfect season. He feared they were taking the Giants lightly. And then to compound the issue he said the hotel in Arizona was AWFUL. He said the rooms were gross, the bathrooms grosser, and the beds were like rocks. He said Sunday morning Randy Moss was complaining that he hadn't slept a wink. He said the whole team was tired and cranky.

I think BB has learned from this. It's pretty evident he's trying to keep the team loose and comfortable and relaxed. I doubt they'll be doing any full pad practices this time around. And I bet he made damn sure the matresses were soft this time around.

Hopefully everybody gets stays loose, gets a good night sleep, and we see a more comfortable team take the field this time around.

Yes, and it still took Faulk, K. Brady and Neal leaving the field, along with Tommy's immobility for NY to really take control of that game.

A whole lot more went into that game to create the mess we saw, and too many people think NY can dominate again simply by showing up.

Yes, and it still took Faulk, K. Brady and Neal leaving the field, along with Tommy's immobility for NY to really take control of that game.

A whole lot more went into that game to create the mess we saw, and too many people think NY can dominate again simply by showing up.

Yeah there was lot going on mentally. One other thing he told me that I forgot to mention was that the hotel in AZ was in a bad, bad part of town. Like the middle of a ghetto. And there were all kinds of security guys walking around with machine guns and stuff.

I don't know if the Giants found themselves in a similar situation, but he said the sight of those guys had the whole team on edge. There were a lot of bad things going on that year - I don't think we'll see an Arizona superbowl again until they get their shit together.

On the other hand, everything I've heard from Indy suggests that the city has done a phenomonal job hosting and the NFL wants to bring another SB back there real soon.

I don't think you are deluding yourself at all. Their destiny waits them.

Losing Neal turned out to be a major issue as his replacement, Russ Hochstein, gave up 2.5 sacks including a huge beat on the final drive by Jay Alford-- a guy that hadn't done much all year.

Mankins gave up 5.5 pressures on the day which was pretty surprising and Justin Tuck, in particular played out of his mind. Whenever I watch the replay I can't get over how unblockable he seemed. He's certainly a good player, but I don't know if he could ever repeat such a performance.

With all the talk about NY's pass rushing linemen you wonder if we'll see a repeat of what happened in that game or something more like when all anybody talked about was Carolina's DL and they were invisible all day.

One fun fact I ran across is that their LT David Diehl has given up an astonishing 47 sacks, pressures or hits on Manning over the last 9 weeks (CHFF). By contrast, Matt Light has a number of 35 over 17 weeks which is less than half as many if you do the math.

Maybe this sets the stage for a nice performance from Anderson and/or Ninkovich as both are coming in hot.

Yeah there was lot going on mentally. One other thing he told me that I forgot to mention was that the hotel in AZ was in a bad, bad part of town. Like the middle of a ghetto. And there were all kinds of security guys walking around with machine guns and stuff.

I think I heard him or someone mention this the other day. Didn't mention the neighborhood, just the machine guns part. So I was thinking WTF Thanks for clarifying!

I'm liking what I'm hearing in regards to the Pats being "loose". Hell... I was uptight leading up to TGTSNBM and I'm honestly not the most hard core fan. I'm a big fan, don't get me wrong, but I'm nothing like some of you guys and gals (and hats off to you for being so hard core).
who knows what will happen Sunday but i'm enjoying this week way more then before TGTSNBM

I'm also glad to have NOT heard these various Arizona horror stories until now as they woudl have come off as excuses.

By the by... (I'm rambling here)... against Carolina didn't the pats do a lot of "drive blocking" (block like it was a running play but on pass plays) to take-it-to the d-lineman instead of backing up and trying to hold off a bull rush?

:huh: The hotel is REALLY nice I've stayed at the Westin Kierland many times. That's beyond a weird statement.

Back