Should Character Matter for H.O.F.?

Should a player's character affect their Hall of Fame election?

• Total voters
Sportswriters voting for h.o.f. is one thing that soured me on the h.o.f. as an indicator of greatness.

OK, after thinking on this all day I think I would say so long as the player committed no crimes which are rights violations, meaning I don't care if they get popped for weed or anything like that, they get in.

I mean just as an anecdote 6-time champion Charles Haley was a disgusting shit and he's in, Not much happened as I remember off the field or outside the locker room. He hurt no one that I know of. So he should be in. Same as TO. Great players no matter their personalities.

OJ is an interesting case. One of the greatest players of all time. Found not guilty of murder but did major time for robbery in Nevada. I guess I just don't really know yet.

But if lean one way, I would say on-field performance should be the key to entry to immortality enshrined in the HOF.

Hell, Rodney should be in, but he gets his head caved in over the dirty player thing but he has such great numbers I can't see why he's not in.
Haley's biggest problem was being bipolar. He finally sought help and treatment after he retired.

Back