Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting

I'm pretty sure both TVs have built in Hulu, NetFlix, Amazon, Roku apps. At least I think I've seen the icons onscreen. Just subscribing may be all that's required?

That might be the way to go so I don't notice a significant change in viewing. Almost all I watch now is recorded off DVR, so streaming would be no different. Get used to streaming via the platform of choice and then cut my TV package.

I should look into it.

Sounds great but besides Patriots I watch a lot of history channel, military channel, National Geographic, food network, etc. Can I get those by streaming?

There is a history channel "vault" ap that has a lot of stuff (but you have to pay extra for it) - I watch a ton of documentaries on Netflix and Amazon. I pay for an annual subscription to the Great Courses which came with a Roku stick (not sure they are still offering that deal) which I am crazy about. My cure for insomnia: put on a 12-part lecture series about the Etruscans just before going to bed.

It seems to me that Roku has more aps now - one thing though is that a lot of streaming aps require you to have an existing subscription with a cable provider. This works well for me as I have FIOS at my primary residence but watch a lot of streaming channels at my second home, so frankly I don't know whether the HGTV channel or ESPN require me sign in with my Verizon account (I forget). I do watch ESPN Monday Night football on my Roku.

I've had a PC hooked up to my Home Theater AV receiver for years.

DVI video output from a PC is identical to HDMI, for the video content, so just get a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to the AV receiver.

Bought a sound card for $50 bucks with an optical digital out and that's how I get the audio to the AV receiver.

The big advantage with this is that the audio card has the ability to convert stereo source data to Dolby 5.1 (Dolby Digital?)

I'm not sure what cipherin they do but the sound is pretty awesome.

So I've got gigabytes of media on the PC that I can watch.

I also run Plex on that PC so I can stream that content to my iPad, even when I'm not home.

I recently got a 4K Roku box as a 35 year service award at work.

I was able to get a bunch of the channels Chevv was asking about (Nat geo, history channel, etc.) but I had to log in with my Xfinity account. Not sure if you get those channels if you don't have an existing cable account.

One issue is that a lot of the channels only have stereo for the audio and not 5.1.

Also, there are "hidden" channels on Roku that you can add to your list.

One movie channel (Xmovie8.org?) has movies a few weeks after they are in the theater. Again, only in stereo, not 5.1.

Great article. I am retired from Comcast and use Comcast TV (240 channels including Sports Pack, HBO, Starz, Cinemax, etc., can watch all TV channels on any computer), Internet (200mbps down/50 mbps up), Telephone (unlimited USA, Mexico, Canada long distance calling) for $203/mon.

Here is a new AT&T streaming package that I just saw this ( http://www.businessinsider.com/att-directv-now-the-ultimate-cord-cutter-bundle-2016-11 ) coming out, fyi

seriously cut the cord throw the tv out and do something else. we did that very thing and could not be happier.

you could not pay us to go back to having a tv.

side benefit is fvck the four letter network/nfl never getting a nickle from me again.

Smart boxes are your best value...way more selection than anything else. You can get them for as low as $29.95ish.

I used to sell them as a side thing...for WAY more than that. They aren't perfect (they scrape the internet for uploads), but, still cool. It's like a big youtube for most anything that was ever downloaded on the internet.

They aren't expensive at all...and all you need is a decent internet connection.

The first step is I ordered an amplified antennae to see if I can get locals with it. I have not fiddled with an antennae for like 30 years. Should be interesting. If it works well enough, the picture on the locals will be 1080p and better than what you get with satellite or cable. The antennae is supposed to have a range of 50 miles (as the crow flies). I am in SW NH, but Boston locals are essential. According to the sites I checked, I am in range, but you never know with hills and stuff.

Well, this part of my grand master plan was a spectacular failure. I could not get reception on a single channel. Good thing the antennae was less than $20.

So my options for that part are now spend a couple hundred for someone to come out and mount a roof antennae or keep DISH for at least the locals.

Well, this part of my grand master plan was a spectacular failure. I could not get reception on a single channel. Good thing the antennae was less than $20.

So my options for that part are now spend a couple hundred for someone to come out and mount a roof antennae or keep DISH for at least the locals.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/tv/best-hdtv-antennas/
The Best HDTVs Antennas of 2016

The Gateway to HDTV

1. Electronics
  2. TV
  3. HDTV Antenna Review

<time datetime="2016-11-22 18:45:52">November 22, 2016

RANKED 1-10

</time><time datetime="2016-11-22 18:45:52"> </time>

Summary
GOLD AWARD

ClearStream Eclipse
$69.99
Review
Visit Site

ClearStream Micron
$42.99
Review
Visit Site

Winegard
$49.99
Review
Visit Site

Terk
$54.49
Review
Visit Site

Mohu
$49.92
Review
Visit Site

1byone
$12.99
Review
Visit Site

Insignia
$19.99
Review
Visit Site

AmazonBasics
$17.99
Review
Visit Site

RCA
$38.63
Review
Visit Site

Channel Master
$10.00
Review
Visit Site

I have a Roku but barely touch it these days because it's a pile of shit. To be clear, Rokus are great but their long-term reliability is terrible.

I have a smart TV that I use for Netflix in the living room. Have a Chromecast that I use for Netflix in the bedroom and for football in the living room (Game Pass).

Everything else is torrented and watched using Chromecast.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

EDIT: Haven't been using it lately but OPT mentioned Plex - awesome, awesome product.

Thanks. What I got is very much like those. I don't think any of them will be good enough. I am pretty sure I need a roof antennae if I want to do that. If I got at least some reception with the one I got then it might be worth pursuing a better one, but not having ANY reception, even from NH channels makes an indoor ant no good I think.

I could not even get analog signals.

[/COLOR]EDIT: Haven't been using it lately but OPT mentioned Plex - awesome, awesome product.

I have heard this from multiple sources, but I still don't quite get what it does/ what it is?
Can you give the Denzel Washington from Philadelphia-style explanation (like we're 8-year-olds)?

I have heard this from multiple sources, but I still don't quite get what it does/ what it is?
Can you give the Denzel Washington from Philadelphia-style explanation (like we're 8-year-olds)?

At it's absolute simplest level...

Plex is a media server that runs on your computer and makes your media accessible through a number of Plex apps.

Again, at most basic level, you install the client-side server on your PC and import your videos, music, etc. Then you can use a Plex app (ie. on a Roku or phone or tablet) to access and play the media stored on your PC's Plex server.

It basically just makes media content management extremely simple because you only ever have to manage it in one spot (your PC) but can then access it from a multitude of platforms. There's more to it in terms of presentation style, metadata, etc. that people like a lot, but at its most basic level it's an easy way to organize and access shitloads of media without having to copy it to multiple devices.

What about NESN and CSN for Sox and and Celtics games. This a deal breaker if I can't find a way to do it.

What about NESN and CSN for Sox and and Celtics games. This a deal breaker if I can't find a way to do it.

Live sports is one of the more difficult things to replace when cutting the cord. You can stream obviously but the quality/reliability can be dicey.

I use Game Pass for NFL, but right now that's the only sport I care to watch live often. If I also wanted to follow 2-3 others then the cost of subscribing to each individual league's streaming service would be too costly.

I have an LG HD TV, but it is not "smart". I prefer not to have a hackable TV that can operate like a baby monitor.

I have the ROKU...3 or 4, I forget. Little box with a remote and earphones.

I have an antennae that you just put in the window and I get something like 35 channels with it, HD and everything. In fact, the HD on that antennae is more clear than the HD we used to get with cable. The antennae was like $40. I got the one with a signal booster, but I never used it, didn't need it. Weather can sometimes affect the signal, but very rarely.

All we have is Verizon FIOS internet, and we subscribed to Sling TV. Sling TV is AWESOME! Great channels, very inexpensive, and you can change your subscription any time you want, or cancel it. They keep adding channels to the network at no extra charge, too.

My cable bill went from around $220 a month, down to a total of about $130 a month for the internet and SLing TV, plus a couple of apps that I pay for on ROKU.

I already have Amazon Prime, so I get those movies, and I have Netflix. I often watch Youtube on my TV.

Sling TV, with the antennae and Roku is SOOOO much better than cable TV, I can't even compare the two.

I cut the cord in May 2015, and figure I have saved roughly $1500 in that time as a result, AND I am happier with my TV than I used to be. Win-Win.

I'll never, ever go back to cable TV....I'll stop watching TV first. I can finally sit down again after decades of getting phvcked by the cable companies.

In fact, I have a bottle of Crown Royale in the closet that I will crack open the day the cable companies go bankrupt altogether. That will be a great day.

We have a smart TV but the connectivity through apps isn't great. That's at least partially down to our phone line/broadband.

We subscribe to Amazon Prime video via the TV/Roku/PS4. The BBC is paid for by a compulsory licence fee, because there are no ads. Everything else is free to air on digital TV.

The only other thing I buy is Game Pass. Tbh, I watch a third of the games I used to. The reason was confirmed this Monday night. We were watching the MNF game in a hotel in Charlotte. I was quite enjoying it until the 4th quarter when a combination of timeouts, two minute warning and stupid penalties dragged the game out towards 11.30pm ET. I just gave up and switched off.

At it's absolute simplest level...

Plex is a media server that runs on your computer and makes your media accessible through a number of Plex apps.

Again, at most basic level, you install the client-side server on your PC and import your videos, music, etc. Then you can use a Plex app (ie. on a Roku or phone or tablet) to access and play the media stored on your PC's Plex server.

It basically just makes media content management extremely simple because you only ever have to manage it in one spot (your PC) but can then access it from a multitude of platforms. There's more to it in terms of presentation style, metadata, etc. that people like a lot, but at its most basic level it's an easy way to organize and access shitloads of media without having to copy it to multiple devices.

So, you can set up a Plex 'channel' with all your downloaded media on it (presumably with a nice interface to help you navigate)?

Do you use a NAS (networked accessed storage) box for your media? I have one for my music, so I don't have to leave my laptop on all the time.

Back