Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting

(if you don't have a TV with an HDMI port, forget about it).
if you don't have 4 hdmi ports even BostonTim is laughing his ass off at you. Get a smart TV (and you'll already have netflix amazon and a bunch of others and that might be all you need - it's all I have)) , they're basically dirt cheap.

Cheers

At it's absolute simplest level...

Plex is a media server that runs on your computer and makes your media accessible through a number of Plex apps.

Again, at most basic level, you install the client-side server on your PC and import your videos, music, etc. Then you can use a Plex app (ie. on a Roku or phone or tablet) to access and play the media stored on your PC's Plex server.

It basically just makes media content management extremely simple because you only ever have to manage it in one spot (your PC) but can then access it from a multitude of platforms. There's more to it in terms of presentation style, metadata, etc. that people like a lot, but at its most basic level it's an easy way to organize and access shitloads of media without having to copy it to multiple devices.

Yes, if you have media on your PC or NAS, Plex is the best way to stream it to any device.

I don't keep music on my iPhone or iPad, but stream from my PC using Plex.

However, Plex has channels as well.

A full list of the "offical" ones are here, but there are "unsupported" ones as well.

A list of how to access them and a list of some good ones are here.

Plex is how I get Xmovie8.org, not Roku as I mentioned earlier. However, there is a Plex channel for the Roku that lets you access all of your stuff on your TV if it isn't a smart TV or connected to a PC.

Chevss, you'll note that there are Natgeo and History channel channels on Plex.

You can install the Plex server and install the channels on your PC to see if it works for you before you try to get it on any other device

So, you can set up a Plex 'channel' with all your downloaded media on it (presumably with a nice interface to help you navigate)?

Do you use a NAS (networked accessed storage) box for your media? I have one for my music, so I don't have to leave my laptop on all the time.

You can get a version of Plex to run on many NAS's.

I've thought about installing Plex, but I really don't have all that much locally stored media that I need to share often, and I get the streaming options from Kodi (XBMC).

so what about Sox, Bruins and Celtics, can you get them with any of these options? or NFL network?

The NFL Network is available on Sling (a streaming service of live channels owned by DISH). In fact, one of their packages (the $25 one) has the NFL Network and NOT ESPN. If I get Sling, that will be the one.

The others are mostly on regional networks, yes? Harder to get legal streaming options for those, though I have not looked real closely.

A little research and here ya go....Vue is another streaming option to consider much like Sling and the new DiectTV Now.

http://nesn.com/2016/10/nesn-launches-on-playstation-vue/

NESN, the official home of the Boston Bruins and Boston Red Sox, launched on PlayStation™ Vue earlier this month to coincide with the start of the 2016-17 Boston Bruins season. NESN is now available on several PlayStation Vue plans to fans in the network’s broadcast territory, which includes Massachusetts, Connecticut (except for Fairfield County), Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. PlayStation™ Vue is an Internet-based live TV service from Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) that gives consumers an additional option to watch their favorite live TV content. PlayStation Vue is accessible through popular TV-connected devices such as PlayStation® 4 and Roku. For more information, please visit www.psvue.com.

And a little more research for Celtics: CSNNE is also available on Vue, and it looks like it may be coming to Sling soon. Another option is if you have a friend or a family member within the region paying for cable, you can use their login to stream directly from csnne.com or using the nbcsports app.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/10/13/13088378/nba-without-tv-cable-cord-cutting-basketball Boston Celtics: CSNNE, available on Vue Core and DirecTV Now. (Sling says CSNNE is “coming soon” to its Blue Service.)

A little research and here ya go....Vue is another streaming option to consider much like Sling and the new DiectTV Now.

http://nesn.com/2016/10/nesn-launches-on-playstation-vue/

NESN, the official home of the Boston Bruins and Boston Red Sox, launched on PlayStation™ Vue earlier this month to coincide with the start of the 2016-17 Boston Bruins season. NESN is now available on several PlayStation Vue plans to fans in the network’s broadcast territory, which includes Massachusetts, Connecticut (except for Fairfield County), Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. PlayStation™ Vue is an Internet-based live TV service from Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) that gives consumers an additional option to watch their favorite live TV content. PlayStation Vue is accessible through popular TV-connected devices such as PlayStation® 4 and Roku. For more information, please visit www.psvue.com.

And a little more research for Celtics: CSNNE is also available on Vue, and it looks like it may be coming to Sling soon. Another option is if you have a friend or a family member within the region paying for cable, you can use their login to stream directly from csnne.com or using the nbcsports app.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/10/13/13088378/nba-without-tv-cable-cord-cutting-basketball Boston Celtics: CSNNE, available on Vue Core and DirecTV Now. (Sling says CSNNE is “coming soon” to its Blue Service.)
thanks.

I am not too lazy to look this stuff up, I was hoping someone had the knowledge or was using it.

I am 15 minutes from Gillette so I am pretty good if I take this root. I figure I can drop landline and cable but upgrade internet and hook up with some of these and be all set since I only watch Local news and sports for the most part but kids use Netflix and some cable channels I think that are available for them. will really look into this after xmas

This maybe positive news for those wanting to stream:

LINK

CBS All Access lands streaming rights for NFL games

CBS and the NFL announced a multiyear deal Thursday as CBS All Access landed streaming rights for NFL on CBS games, including preseason, regular season and postseason. The new deal begins Sunday.

It is the first time the NFL has given a television rights holder streaming capabilities on a stand-alone service.

With the new deal, CBS All Access subscribers can now stream the Thursday Night Football broadcasts that air on CBS through tablets via the CBS App and on an assortment of connected devices, including Xbox One and Xbox 360, Roku Players, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and others. Additionally, games will be available online at CBS.com in 150-plus markets across the U.S. Starting with the 2017 season, CBS All Access subscribers will be able to stream content on NFL properties as well.

SSDD

Interesting.

CBS All Access is $5.99/month. I was somewhat interested in it because CBS is making the bad decision to air the new Star Trek TV show ONLY on All Access after the Pilot. I refuse to spend that much for ONE TV show, on yet another app. That decision by CBS probably dooms the show, but the addition of the NFL makes it a little more attractive to subscribe.

I just wanted to say real quickly that I got my Fire TV box mostly set up, and it is a fantastic device. Better than expected.

That's the on I have on the main TV. I got it because I like that I can hard wire it to the network switch

So, been a few weeks now.

Love the Fire. Great device. I signed up for SlingTV, and as part of that got a Roku. It is nice, but after comparing both for awhile, I prefer the Fire. I'll probably put the Roku in the bedroom. I can understand those who like the Roku better though. Simpler interface and a more consistent experience from the interface POV.

Also, as of 9:30am this morning, I am proud to say that I no longer have Disney Sports. It drove me crazy knowing how much money they get per subscriber. I reduced my DISH package to the "Flex Pack," for around $40. There is another level I can downgrade to, but I am taking it slow. I still have all my locals through DISH as I got a quote of about $800 to get the Boston locals through an antennae and I can not justify that at this time.

So I am currently paying for:

DISH Flex.
SlingTV Blue
Netflix
Amazon Prime

With room to cut further.

Includes install on the roof. Probably just a top end amplified on a tall mast.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Back