Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting

Just using my hardwired Fire TV and Beast TV.... it literally has every channel, even PPV's for 14 bucks a month on the auto renewal plan. that for 4 devices and 2 IP's. Local stations from all over the country too plus Gamepass, MLB, all that shit. If you can't find something to watch then you are unpleasable. I think there's a way to make it DVR too.
I use Outlaw IPTV and Surfshark. 13 bucks for 3 devices, plus the Web Player and a support channel on Discord. Plus I use Tivimate for my app. It's seamless.

This is what the EPG looks like, btw

Attachments

• 119421682_1776348165857050_2850663858634217032_n.jpg
    119421682_1776348165857050_2850663858634217032_n.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5
I may have said this before, but if not.... If you use Verizon wireless as your carrier, and have the right unlimited plan, you can get Hulu (not live, with ads), Disney Plus and ESPN Plus for free.

Sent from my Commodore VIC 20 using Tapatalk

I have Dish included in my rent but they have had Fox 25 and NBC Boston removed. So I only really use it for Pats games on CBS and now that shows are coming back on for the DVR but not much else.

For games that Dish doesn't carry I'm ashamed to say I use gray options like Bilasports(really good picture quality for free.) Ashamed because I believe in paying for what you get. But it has made very difficult to pay for what I want as it's not available.

We do have a friend in LVent (yes, the dress wearing Steeler fan who works in IT or broadcast in someway) who wrote to me and said that all this is changing to ala cart in the not distant future which should eliminate the need for gray options.

I also use ROKU for streaming stuff. My BFF uses my account at her house for stuff she likes and I have the Plex Media app which plays all of the media I have accumulated over the years on my PC like movies, tv shows, pics and music with one simple ROKU remote. Love it.

Re... Ala cart.

That would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Not with only 4 companies owning all the channels and insisting on an all or nothing model.

Another important factor to mention is that my wife doesn't want to deal with the complexity of some of this shit. :coffee:

Another important factor to mention is that my wife doesn't want to deal with the complexity of some of this shit. :coffee:

Understand and at least for my setup it's done mostly with a 10 button ROKU remote with a voice feature that I don't use. Couldn't be much more simple to use really.

I had a TCL 6 series which was quite good and came with the stellar ROKU operating system.

But I ended up eventually with what I have found to be the holy grail of TV's. An LG OLED for a bit more money. I didn't like their operating system so I went with a ROKU instead but the picture, OMG the picture is just something special.

Last edited:
A quick Google tells me there are iptv services for roku.

For others that have firetv, the extent of the tech chops typically needed is to go into your fire settings and enable add-ons from other sources, and then getting the APK that you download onto the Fire and then just opening it. It's not super technical, but a little beyond the average consumer.

No, you're correct, the higher end TCL's are premium TV's. I was looking at one, until a few months ago, Amazon put the LG 65" 8100 Series Nanocell up as deal of the day for $550.00 so I jumped on it

Verdict for me for football.

On beast TV, I tried 3 different streams. CBS Boston, CBS Buffalo, and Game Pass Stream. Game pass is delayed more than the others.

Very watchable. Good colors on the OLED. Better than CBS All Access and Locast.

YTTV still has better quality and bit rate. $50 a month better? Probably not. But it's hard not to watch the best quality stream on the best TV.

No, professional calibration is a real, legitimate thing. They access the deep menus and get the colors perfect. Every panel is unique, so the settings from the factory can look different on every one.

But, you can also go to a site like rtratings and get recommended settings that are usually better than what it comes out of the box with.

In the past I’ve always found good calibration settings online but I have not found anything for this one and I’m not good at it. I played with some settings and I’ve got a pretty solid picture but I know it can be better

Back