Smiley's organization

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Dear Mods,

Can we organize the smilies differently so that the more commonly used ones are at the top?

I keep having to search for the commonly used ones scrolling through smilies that hardly ever get used.

I ain't gettin any younger, y'know? I ain't got time sifting through neglected smilies.

BS

At one time there was an option for your Favorite Smilies, wasn't there? That was real helpful. Where did that option go?

I will look into both options.

Baron, could you post the smilies that you want at the top?

Sent from my Enigma Device

Would it not be better for the most frequently used smilies to automatically migrate to the top?

No doubt. Beyond my abilities though. That would require a new DB keeping track of what everyone uses.

No doubt. Beyond my abilities though. That would require a new DB keeping track of what everyone uses.
I don't think a fully-fledged DB is needed, just a data dictionary/hash/map (depending on which term you prefer) where the keys are the smilie strings (usually colon-delimited) and the values are the usage counts. The values get bumped by some Javascript or PHP that runs when a post is committed.

Then modify the code that displays the smilies table by doing a pass over the data dictionary to sort the smilies and order the table in which they're presented.

Of course, it could lead to people abusing the system and deluging us with smilie-filled posts in order to get their favorites at the top of the smilie panel.

:D :thumb: :toast: :rimshot: :party: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

:devil:

:evil:

I don't think a fully-fledged DB is needed, just a data dictionary/hash/map (depending on which term you prefer) where the keys are the smilie strings (usually colon-delimited) and the values are the usage counts. The values get bumped by some Javascript or PHP that runs when a post is committed.

Then modify the code that displays the smilies table by doing a pass over the data dictionary to sort the smilies and order the table in which they're presented.

Cool.

Let me know when you have the PHP and the mod written so I can plug it in.

Thanks. :coffee:

Back