Smoking

TomWaits & you

Reaction score
Cigarettes have always been a friend. But, lately, I've realized we're co-dependent. That makes for a nasty relationship. I'd like to tell them to f-off. With fear induced, I was able to resist. For 3 months, I said no. I knocked all my teeth out mountain biking (smoker mountain-biking = wierd, I know).

The second I was in the clear, I RAN to light up. I need to get rid of this shit.

I'm a full-fledged addict and getting worse. Advice seeked.

Please advise.

I really wanted to quit once, and it helped that I was a poor college student at the time, so I started smoking the cheapest brand I could find.

A few weeks smoking grade D tobacco did the trick. For six months or so. :shrug:

Cigarettes have always been a friend. But, lately, I've realized we're co-dependent. That makes for a nasty relationship. I'd like to tell them to f-off. With fear induced, I was able to resist. For 3 months, I said no. I knocked all my teeth out mountain biking (smoker mountain-biking = wierd, I know).

The second I was in the clear, I RAN to light up. I need to get rid of this shit.

I'm a full-fledged addict and getting worse. Advice seeked.

Please advise.

It sucks ass!!!!!! I alternated between dum dum lollipops, popsicles, carrot sticks and I chewed on straws. I would also exercise (run a bit, do some situps) when the cravings were real bad.

It truly is sooooo hard. I still will have one once in a while if I have a few drinks, but I wouldn't consider myself a smoker anymore. My best advice is find someone who will allow you to yell at them for no reason whenever you feel like it!

I wish you the best of luck, and you will feel much better when you do it.

I smoked for ten years. Quit for close to five. Smoked again for eleven years, and now have been a non-smoker for over seven years.
The first time I successfully quit was cold turkey. No quitting aids of any type. It's much harder but still effective. This time around - and I'm still not positive I'll stay quit - I hope I do. I have dreams about lighting up! This time,( Over seven years ago), I used the nicorette gum. Everytime I'd feel the anxiety of not smoking, I'd pop a piece of the gum in my mouth. doing so would take away the intense mental pressure to light up. :thumb: In so doing, I was able to manage breaking my addiction. Additionally, I chewed on toothpicks for over two years. Having that hand to mouth habit still being used, really helped; Using the toothpick as a placebo. Of course my teeth took some abuse from the toothpick chewing, but nothing that isn't correctable. :thumb: Stay focused on the positives of quitting. Having a sense of smell, breathing easier, not smelling like a bar room, money in your pocket, not running out of breath quicker than your friends and being embarrassed.:D Do not think ahead!!!!!! Stay focused on the moment!!!!! I can't stress this enough! You'll only be feeding into your addiction if you think ahead about the difficulty of time and energy being spent stopping. Do not allow yourself to think upon this. This is your addiction seducing you again!:arrr: Good luck! You can do it! :bow:

I'm a hard core alcoholic in recovery and I quit drinking the same day I quit smoking. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, because really it's more embarrassing than anything else. I just want anyone who is doubting themselves to understand quitting is a very real possibility for you, not a far fetched fantasy. Thanks for reading and I hope it helps you...

I am smoking again, after having quit for about 3 years. I am getting ready to quit again, as the only place I smoke is at work.
I used the Zyban to quit a few years ago. However, there is a small adjustment. The "instructions" say to use it for about a week, then quit. My doctor recommended to use it for a month WHILE SMOKING. This allows it to build up in your system. Then, quit and take it for about a month. After my quit date, I realized that about 4 days into it, I kept forgetting to take the pill, so I just quit worrying about it.
Here's the big secret...you will quit when you WANT to quit. You can use the Zyban or the Chantrix (the newest meds on the market), you can use candy, gum, or toothpicks to help you over the cravings, but the bottom line is this. Again, if you really really want to quit, you can and will. You can't half-a$$ it.
I should say this time I'm quitting cold turkey. I only have one person who "pressures" me to go out and smoke with them, and I'm telling that person today that I can't go anymore. I don't smoke in either of my cars, don't smoke at home, and have never ever smoked in front of my 15 year old daughter. Weird huh?

I am smoking again, after having quit for about 3 years. I am getting ready to quit again, as the only place I smoke is at work.
I used the Zyban to quit a few years ago. However, there is a small adjustment. The "instructions" say to use it for about a week, then quit. My doctor recommended to use it for a month WHILE SMOKING. This allows it to build up in your system. Then, quit and take it for about a month. After my quit date, I realized that about 4 days into it, I kept forgetting to take the pill, so I just quit worrying about it.
Here's the big secret...you will quit when you WANT to quit. You can use the Zyban or the Chantrix (the newest meds on the market), you can use candy, gum, or toothpicks to help you over the cravings, but the bottom line is this. Again, if you really really want to quit, you can and will. You can't half-a$$ it.
I should say this time I'm quitting cold turkey. I only have one person who "pressures" me to go out and smoke with them, and I'm telling that person today that I can't go anymore. I don't smoke in either of my cars, don't smoke at home, and have never ever smoked in front of my 15 year old daughter. Weird huh?

I agree. You have to want to quit. Half hearted effort will never be enough. :thumb:

Don't quit cold turkey. Cut down to 3-4 per day and have them only at certain times. I've done that after trying all kinds of things to quit.

Maybe after cutting down to a few for avwhile , you can quit. I haven't but maybe you can.

I smoked for ten years. Quit for close to five. Smoked again for eleven years, and now have been a non-smoker for over seven years.
The first time I successfully quit was cold turkey. No quitting aids of any type. It's much harder but still effective. This time around - and I'm still not positive I'll stay quit - I hope I do. I have dreams about lighting up! This time,( Over seven years ago), I used the nicorette gum. Everytime I'd feel the anxiety of not smoking, I'd pop a piece of the gum in my mouth. doing so would take away the intense mental pressure to light up. :thumb: In so doing, I was able to manage breaking my addiction. Additionally, I chewed on toothpicks for over two years. Having that hand to mouth habit still being used, really helped; Using the toothpick as a placebo. Of course my teeth took some abuse from the toothpick chewing, but nothing that isn't correctable. :thumb: Stay focused on the positives of quitting. Having a sense of smell, breathing easier, not smelling like a bar room, money in your pocket, not running out of breath quicker than your friends and being embarrassed.:D Do not think ahead!!!!!! Stay focused on the moment!!!!! I can't stress this enough! You'll only be feeding into your addiction if you think ahead about the difficulty of time and energy being spent stopping. Do not allow yourself to think upon this. This is your addiction seducing you again!:arrr: Good luck! You can do it! :bow:

I'm a hard core alcoholic in recovery and I quit drinking the same day I quit smoking. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging, because really it's more embarrassing than anything else. I just want anyone who is doubting themselves to understand quitting is a very real possibility for you, not a far fetched fantasy. Thanks for reading and I hope it helps you...

Just saw this--kudos to you, it's very admirable. Not everyone can do it, I applaud you. There's nothing ever embarassing about admitting faults and trying to cope and rectify them-ever.

"Just saw this--kudos to you, it's very admirable. Not everyone can do it, I applaud you. There's nothing ever embarassing about admitting faults and trying to cope and rectify them-ever."

Thanks TG. My life is vastly different than it was ten years ago! :thumb:

"Just saw this--kudos to you, it's very admirable. Not everyone can do it, I applaud you. There's nothing ever embarassing about admitting faults and trying to cope and rectify them-ever."

Thanks TG. My life is vastly different than it was ten years ago! :thumb:

Every day, you learn and you grow, that's what life is all about.

Every day, you learn and you grow, that's what life is all about.

True. I first had to work on my way of thinking. Mental habits, for lack of a better name. Learn to live in the moment, or the present. This culture trains one to always be thinking and looking ahead. It's very hard to overcome something if you don't stay focused upon it.

True. I first had to work on my way of thinking. Mental habits, for lack of a better name. Learn to live in the moment, or the present. This culture trains one to always be thinking and looking ahead. It's very hard to overcome something if you don't stay focused upon it.

You're right. It's very hard to just focus on today and that's it. The past can always haunt and the future can be too full of dreams to remember what is reality.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 7 yrs. Had my first BEFORE my feet hit the floor in the a.m. in bed! Nasty! The funny thing was I despised smokes all through childhood. Grew up playing youth hockey and both parents smoked. The drive home in the winter w/windows up and the car seemingly filled like Fast Times at Ridgemont High were enough to make me gag!
Then high school came and drinking led to pot and when there was no pot might as well have a butt. Hook,line,sinker.
Ended up breaking mine cold-turkey, but I had really wanted to quit. My advice: continue the hand to mouth w/a pocket full of candy,toothpicks,sunflower seeds, whatever. I also decided to quit for a New Years resolution and hey it worked. I haven't lit up a butt or a joint in 17 yrs. The good thing about quitting at that time of year is not being exposed to any smoking since we were mostly shutins in the winter. You won't have much success quitting smoking if you are out drinking. I sat in and watched movies all winter and wasn't exposed to too much cigarettes and alcohol so the constant reminder wasn't rubbing me in the face. Spent a significant amount of time in the gym too, where they aren't exactly the smoking crowd. Whatever works for you. I truly hope you can kick it. You'll feel much better and be much more healthy.

I was a 2 pack a day smoker for 7 yrs. Had my first BEFORE my feet hit the floor in the a.m. in bed! Nasty! The funny thing was I despised smokes all through childhood. Grew up playing youth hockey and both parents smoked. The drive home in the winter w/windows up and the car seemingly filled like Fast Times at Ridgemont High were enough to make me gag!
Then high school came and drinking led to pot and when there was no pot might as well have a butt. Hook,line,sinker.
Ended up breaking mine cold-turkey, but I had really wanted to quit. My advice: continue the hand to mouth w/a pocket full of candy,toothpicks,sunflower seeds, whatever. I also decided to quit for a New Years resolution and hey it worked. I haven't lit up a butt or a joint in 17 yrs. The good thing about quitting at that time of year is not being exposed to any smoking since we were mostly shutins in the winter. You won't have much success quitting smoking if you are out drinking. I sat in and watched movies all winter and wasn't exposed to too much cigarettes and alcohol so the constant reminder wasn't rubbing me in the face. Spent a significant amount of time in the gym too, where they aren't exactly the smoking crowd. Whatever works for you. I truly hope you can kick it. You'll feel much better and be much more healthy.

I use to work out when I smoked. :huh: Now I pretty much do some biking in the Spring and summer, and skiing in the winter months. I got bored with the work out warrior mode.
I feel just as good now as when I worked out fanatically. :thumb:

I tried to quit smoking. Instead of lighting up a smoke, I'd shoot up some H... anyway, THAT idea didn't work out so well, so I'm smoking again. :shrug:

Yeah I tried the patch once, that didn't work out too well either - couldn't keep the damn things lit.

Back