So...about home Security...

In the vain of "Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting", anyone have experience (good or bad) with any of the security products that are out there? I'll be moving into my first house, maybe by the end of the year if the builder can get their head out of their ass, and have started looking into the DYI systems that are out there.... Simplisafe, Abode, ect...

I most interested in getting something basic setup, and then being able to expand on it as I discover more needs. Good integration with Google and Philips Hue is a big plus too. I'm currently leaning towards Abode, but wanted to see if the Planet had any experience.

Thanks!

In the vain of "Smart TVs and Boxes/cord cutting", anyone have experience (good or bad) with any of the security products that are out there? I'll be moving into my first house, maybe by the end of the year if the builder can get their head out of their ass, and have started looking into the DYI systems that are out there.... Simplisafe, Abode, ect...

I most interested in getting something basic setup, and then being able to expand on it as I discover more needs. Good integration with Google and Philips Hue is a big plus too. I'm currently leaning towards Abode, but wanted to see if the Planet had any experience.

Thanks!
I know this is really basic but we got a Ring doorbell. We really love having it. We always know when the neighborhood boys try to stop by when we're not home and we can tell them when we will be home...or just ignore them. :ROFLMAO: There are options to add other cameras around the house if you want. That's something we'll probably look into to cover the back of our house.

The house actually comes with a Ring, but I'm so far down the Google rabbit hole I'll probably rip and replace it the first week 🤣

I use a Simplisafe system after being a victim of a B&E 4 years ago. Been using it since.

It's a wireless system with a base controller that has a battery backup. After complaining about intermittent communication issues between the keypad and base, which wouldn't allow me to disable the system with my passcode, Simplisafe sent me a newer model BC (free of charge) and it has worked flawlessly since. It provides a sense of safety for my wife who was a little freaked out by the break-in. I find their response to alarms to be flawless and the system is quite easy to set-up, use and is sensibly designed.

If you go with them, then I'd recommend an add-on alarm horn as the one included isn't as loud as you might expect, but overall it is a solid product that I've been pleased with.

Shotgun, nothing is more affective than the sound of a shotgun being charged. Plus you don'r really need good aim, just shoot in their general direction.

Be careful of too many wifi connected things, all of them can be hacked, so you might be broadcasting when its safe to come and clean out your house.

Shotgun, nothing is more affective than the sound of a shotgun being charged. Plus you don'r really need good aim, just shoot in their general direction.

Be careful of too many wifi connected things, all of them can be hacked, so you might be broadcasting when its safe to come and clean out your house.

Personally I prefer the sound of an AR bolt dropping, but Tomato Tomato

I use a Simplisafe system after being a victim of a B&E 4 years ago. Been using it since.

It's a wireless system with a base controller that has a battery backup. After complaining about intermittent communication issues between the keypad and base, which wouldn't allow me to disable the system with my passcode, Simplisafe sent me a newer model BC (free of charge) and it has worked flawlessly since. It provides a sense of safety for my wife who was a little freaked out by the break-in. I find their response to alarms to be flawless and the system is quite easy to set-up, use and is sensibly designed.

If you go with them, then I'd recommend an add-on alarm horn as the one included isn't as loud as you might expect, but overall it is a solid product that I've been pleased with.
Thanks Hawg, definitely one of the ways I've been looking, good to get some feedback.

Thanks Hawg, definitely one of the ways I've been looking, good to get some feedback.

You're very welcome. If you have any questions then feel free to ask. Oh, and if you get one then don't use the sticky foam pads to adhere your various sensors to walls or door frames. Those things generally suck in my opinion. One fell off after a year or two when we were away and out of cell phone range (that's what we told them to call) and the cops had to be dispatched. While it was nice to know that the system worked as designed, I hated that we wasted their time because I didn't bother to screw the sensor in nice and tight. Never take the easy way out.

You're very welcome. If you have any questions then feel free to ask. Oh, and if you get one then don't use the sticky foam pads to adhere your various sensors to walls or door frames. Those things generally suck in my opinion. One fell off after a year or two when we were away and out of cell phone range (that's what we told them to call) and the cops had to be dispatched. While it was nice to know that the system worked as designed, I hated that we wasted their time because I didn't bother to screw the sensor in nice and tight. Never take the easy way out.
Good advice on general, most of these systems use similar mounting options

Ring doorbell and 6 Blink camera's outline the perimeter.

Ring is solid.

Iffy on the Blink cameras.

Pros:
They are super easy to set-up and keep tabs on activity (you can mount them anywhere within bandwidth of your wifi - sheds, trees, wherever)

Cons:
They don't work all that well at night. They pick up motion but not a very sharp image. Somewhat self-defeating but the advanced heads-up is a least a plus. All-in-all, I would not recommend Blink.

I've recently installed indoor and outdoor cameras from Wyze. Extremely affordable and the video/photo resolution is most excellent.

Thanks guys, cameras will be in the picture, but I'll figure those out once I figure out the system brains.

Long time, no see. Hope you're well.

Certain dogs are meant to be good deterrents. I don't know how true that is, but it's something that gets said.

Thanks!
Nest. I'm biased because I also install Nest products. I have the Nest IQ Indoor camera which points from the back of my house down the hallway to the front door. Anyone coming in will be seen. I pay $60 a year for Nest Aware - the cloud storage. I've installed doorbells and outdoor cameras. the night vision is unmatched in the IQ level of cameras. The doorbells have package delivery and pick up alerts. They and the indoor cams have talk back and the sensitivity - in the room where my indoor camera is, if the sun plays across the curtains, I get a message about it detecting motion.

Ring, btw, has a 2 star security rating and there are 3,5 million Ring Doorbells on recall. Nest has a 5 Star security rating. Obviously, they work well with Google Home/Assistant, since Google owns Nest.

BTW, I also have the Thermostat, Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector (Nest Home Protect) and 7 Phillips Hue smart lights.

I've heard great things about Simplesafe, too. Not sure about Google integration but they do have a good price point!

Nest. I'm biased because I also install Nest products. I have the Nest IQ Indoor camera which points from the back of my house down the hallway to the front door. Anyone coming in will be seen. I pay $60 a year for Nest Aware - the cloud storage. I've installed doorbells and outdoor cameras. the night vision is unmatched in the IQ level of cameras. The doorbells have package delivery and pick up alerts. They and the indoor cams have talk back and the sensitivity - in the room where my indoor camera is, if the sun plays across the curtains, I get a message about it detecting motion.

Ring, btw, has a 2 star security rating and there are 3,5 million Ring Doorbells on recall. Nest has a 5 Star security rating. Obviously, they work well with Google Home/Assistant, since Google owns Nest.

BTW, I also have the Thermostat, Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector (Nest Home Protect) and 7 Phillips Hue smart lights.
I think I am going to pick up a Nest Hello. Black Friday sale.

Back