So, Ladies...Let's talk about Grey

I am in the middle of the second book>)

I'll wait til Ms. TG pops her head in and then we can see where this goes.

I certainly haven't read them, but I did read (after talking to my sister, who did read this book) some of the comments on Amazon.com.

A friend of mine posted this review on Amazon:

I enjoy erotica and heard so much about this book that I had to give it a shot, but I'm five chapters in and just can't take it anymore. This has to be the most appallingly atrocious writing I've ever seen in a major release. The pseudonymous British author sets the action (such as it is) in Washington State... for no reason than that her knowledge of America apparently consists of what she read in "Twilight"... but the entire first-person narrative is filled with Britishisms. How many American college students do you know who talk about "prams," "ringing" someone on the phone, or choosing a "smart rucksack" to take "on holiday"? And the author's geography sounds like she put together a jigsaw puzzle of the Pacific Northwest while drunk and ended up with several pieces in the wrong place.

And oh, the repetition...and the repetition...and the repetition. I'm convinced the author has a computer macro that she hits to insert one of her limited repertoire of facial expressions whenever she needs one. According to my Kindle search function, characters roll their eyes 41 times, Ana bites her lip 35 times, Christian's lips "quirk up" 16 times, Christian "cocks his head to one side" 17 times, characters "purse" their lips 15 times, and characters raise their eyebrows a whopping 50 times. Add to that 80 references to Ana's anthropomorphic "subconscious" (which also rolls its eyes and purses its lips, by the way), 58 references to Ana's "inner goddess," and 92 repetitions of Ana saying some form of "oh crap" (which, depending on the severity of the circumstances, can be intensified to "holy crap," "double crap," or the ultimate "triple crap"). And this is only part one of a trilogy...

If I wrote like that, I'd use a pseudonym too.

Like some other reviewers, what I find terribly depressing is that this is a runaway bestseller and the movie rights are expected to sell for up to $5 million. There are so many highly talented writers in the genre... and erotica is so much more erotic when the author has a command of the language and can make you care about the characters. For examples, check out the "Beauty" trilogy written by Anne Rice under the pen name A.N. Roquelaure, or any stories by Donna George Storey or Rachel Kramer Bussel. Just stay away from this triple crap.

*UPDATE*: Thanks to the many other perturbed readers who have shared their own choices of the most annoyingly overused phrases in this masterpiece. Following up on their suggestions with my ever-useful Kindle search function, I have discovered that Ana says "Jeez" 81 times and "oh my" 72 times. She "blushes" or "flushes" 125 times, including 13 that are "scarlet," 6 that are "crimson," and one that is "stars and stripes red." (I can't even imagine.) Ana "peeks up" at Christian 13 times, and there are 9 references to Christian's "hooded eyes," 7 to his "long index finger," and 25 to how "hot" he is (including four recurrences of the epic declarative sentence "He's so freaking hot"). Christian's "mouth presses into a hard line" 10 times. Characters "murmur" 199 times and "whisper" 195 times (doesn't anyone just talk?), "clamber" on/in/out of things 21 times, and "smirk" 34 times. Christian and Ana also "gasp" 46 times and experience 18 "breath hitches," suggesting a need for prompt intervention by paramedics. Finally, in a remarkable bit of symmetry, our hero and heroine exchange 124 "grins" and 124 "frowns"... which, by the way, seems an awful lot of frowning for a woman who experiences "intense," "body-shattering," "delicious," "violent," "all-consuming," "turbulent," "agonizing" and "exhausting" orgasms on just about every page.

True or not, this had me ROFL

Pr0n for chicks. :coffee:

Well, they's about to go all gusher on us then...

man_housework.jpg

7614_men_chores.jpg

:coffee:

PF, that is so hilarious, I was laughing out loud reading it.

Horrific writing. I don't usually read stuff like this, but with all of the women in my town and, quite frankly, everywhere else I went talking about the books, I decided to get them. So here's the thing....

There must be some seriously repressed women out there. I mean, really. Everyone is all blushing and can barely put into words what they think of the story and what it's about, and I'm thinking, holy shit, am I a perv or something? Haven't any of these women ever read The Story of O??? Now, THAT'S some shit. This? This is softball.

I went to buy the third one at Barnes & Noble last week, and there was this young lady, about 30-ish, with her husband, and she's looking at the book...the cover, not picking it up....and I said, Have you read any of them? And she's giggles and says Noooo. I said, Do you know what it's about? And she giggles and looks at the hubby. She says, Not really, maybe a little. So this is exactly what I said:

"Yeah, it's about this guy that's into B&D, and he falls in love with a 21-yr old virgin, and even though he's into dominance and control, she psychologically controls him. But there's a lot of experimentation and sex and bondage. I dunno, I lived in the 70s, so it's really nothing that's new to me."

She almost passed out from embarassment, and he just looked at me like I had five heads.

So, yeah, I've learned from reading these books that there's a lot of women out there that really don't have a clue and are seriously sexually repressed.

:shrug:

This is the huge hit that it is mostly because it offended a Floridian.

I'm reading it next week, girls.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is the huge hit that it is mostly because it offended a Floridian.

I'm reading it next week, girls.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's the old old story. Nothing, but nothing, succeeds like "Banned in Boston".

Cheers, BostonTim

PF, that is so hilarious, I was laughing out loud reading it.

Horrific writing. I don't usually read stuff like this, but with all of the women in my town and, quite frankly, everywhere else I went talking about the books, I decided to get them. So here's the thing....

There must be some seriously repressed women out there. I mean, really. Everyone is all blushing and can barely put into words what they think of the story and what it's about, and I'm thinking, holy shit, am I a perv or something? Haven't any of these women ever read The Story of O??? Now, THAT'S some shit. This? This is softball.

I went to buy the third one at Barnes & Noble last week, and there was this young lady, about 30-ish, with her husband, and she's looking at the book...the cover, not picking it up....and I said, Have you read any of them? And she's giggles and says Noooo. I said, Do you know what it's about? And she giggles and looks at the hubby. She says, Not really, maybe a little. So this is exactly what I said:

"Yeah, it's about this guy that's into B&D, and he falls in love with a 21-yr old virgin, and even though he's into dominance and control, she psychologically controls him. But there's a lot of experimentation and sex and bondage. I dunno, I lived in the 70s, so it's really nothing that's new to me."

She almost passed out from embarassment, and he just looked at me like I had five heads.

So, yeah, I've learned from reading these books that there's a lot of women out there that really don't have a clue and are seriously sexually repressed.

:shrug:

Off the top of my innocent little head, I don't know what B&D is and I wouldn't consider myself sexually repressed.
Raised_Eyebrow.gif

Off the top of my innocent little head, I don't know what B&D is and I wouldn't consider myself sexually repressed.
Raised_Eyebrow.gif

It's Bagels & Donuts. It where the guy puts either of those things on his you know what, and his fat girlfriend eats them off while touching herself down there. I saw it in some video called "Fatty Cake Fatty Cake Baker Man IV" back in the 80s. :coffee:

It's the old old story. Nothing, but nothing, succeeds like "Banned in Boston".

Cheers, BostonTim

Ban it anywhere and everyone wants to know why. These books never would have crossed my reading path if they hadn't have splashed them all over the news.

I'm not going to buy them, though. I'm next in line at my library where the ladies are clearly NOT offended by them. It's hilarious. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

It's Bagels & Donuts. It where the guy puts either of those things on his you know what, and his fat girlfriend eats them off while touching herself down there. I saw it in some video called "Fatty Cake Fatty Cake Baker Man IV" back in the 80s. :coffee:

You are so fvcked. ROFL

Back