So there's a game on I guess

- Has Dwayne Allen been cut yet? I don't even recall seeing him on the field.
- Claiborne was a beast. Hope we can get the same type of pass rush during the season
- Flores seems to take a more aggressive approach that Patricia.
- J. McCourty did not do himself any favors
- Crossen got schooled. But interesting that the coaches left him in for the whole game.
- Webb's HOF bust is on hold
- Damn is Patterson fast. That WR screen may do some damage this season
- The new helmet rule is an abomination.

I hadn't watched him play much. I always thought he was one of those guys that was fast but it took him a bit to get there. It looked like the defender must have thought the same thing on that play. I was shocked at how fast he accelerated.

I should have added that Jacob Hollister is working hard and it's showing on the field in production. His blocking has improved a lot. He's obviously gained a lot of trust from TB, BB and McDaniels.

Also, Crossen was given a chance to get burned in quickly to the NFL last night. Let's hope he learns from it.

Hollister worries me though. He makes some incredible catches but all the way back to last season it seems like he gets dinged on nearly every reception. I saw him make one catch last night and took a hit. He was wincing and kind of holding his shoulder when he got up.

Has Lane Johnson given his thoughts on the Super Bowl last night? Shortest reign ever for a defending champ. ROFL

Defense still suspect in passing game at times but front got some nice pressures and the O looks strong. Patterson is legit.

With rules how they are, secondaries will always be suspect, if we can just get pressure this can nullify some of that. I mean we actually made them punt a couple times!!!!

Has Lane Johnson given his thoughts on the Super Bowl last night? Shortest reign ever for a defending champ. ROFL

He's enjoying his crow today. :coffee:
“They were good. They were classy,” Johnson said. “I really have nothing to say. They were classy fans. Touché to them.”
“I guess (the Patriots had fun). It’s the preseason,” Johnson told reporters after the game. “There wasn’t really a fun meter out there. But I guess they had more fun (than at the Super Bowl) because they won.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/08/lane-johnson-says-patriots-had-more-fun-than-at-super-bowl-after-37-20-win/

I think it was more like 15 yards, but I'll award you style points for being polite about it.

Hoyer's arm has looked awful. He never had a gun, but so far through 6 quarters of action he's underthrown people consistently and his mental recognition isn't top-notch, either. That was clearly illustrated on a short pattern to the sticks by either Hogan or Hollister where the guy broke open and Hoyer was a beat late seeing it and didn't have the velocity to make up the difference.

Right now, the MVP for this team could be Alex Guerrero.

There was a play to Decker where he was open immediately and, not only did it take Hoyer forever to make the throw, the ball came out so slowly that you would have thought Brian had been in a harness. I want no part of him on the roster, but there aren't many alternatives. This is the worst backup situation since Rohan Davey, I'll be blown away if the Patriots aren't aggressively trying to bring someone else in. Both teams so far have trotted out better 3rd stringers than Hoyer.

Any thoughts on Goddert from the Eagles.

Was hoping for him over Michel in the draft. Figured with Gronks tempestuous status and the lack of depth at TE it’d be a more prominent position for replacement than RB.

He is good...

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

What would you guys give me for Brissett (assuming anything)?

Jordan Richards...and you send a 1st and a 3rd pick.

With rules how they are, secondaries will always be suspect, if we can just get pressure this can nullify some of that. I mean we actually made them punt a couple times!!!!

These new rules are terrible.

There will be games that will be lost (that shouldn't have) from these stupid ass new rules.

From Bedard

HEADLINES
Defense steps it up: The collective reaction in all of New England after the first half? Where was this when we needed it in February? Granted, it was a preseason game and not the Super Bowl, but the Eagles started the same quarterback and offensive line, and you couldn’t have had two different games when it came to getting pressure on the quarterback. In the Super Bowl, I charted the Patriots for a grand total of 11 quarterback pressures (zero sacks) — nine came from players not on the field Thursday night (James Harrison, six; Trey Flowers, three) for a pressure rate of 25.6 percent. Completely different story at Gillette. New England did better than that in one half. The Patriots, at first blush, had

14 total quarterback pressures — five sacks, two hits and seven hurries — for a pressure rate of 50 percent. Newcomer Adrian Clayborn led the way with 1.5 sacks and two hurries. “I thought we did some good things,” said Bill Belichick. “There’s certainly some things we need to work on. It was far from perfect. We’ll take a look at the film, build on the positives and correct the things that need to be corrected.”
Brady, offense get moving: Tom Brady’s first preseason action was efficient — 19-of-26 for 172 yards and two touchdowns for a passer rating of 116.2. Brady led four scoring drives – two touchdowns and two field goals — in his six possessions. Many of his throws were of the high-percentage variety (other than a sharp 22-yard in-cut to Jacob Hollister) and the Patriots were aided by 50 yards in Eagles penalties. But it was nice to see the offense work at a fast pace and to see Brady to distribute the ball quickly.
First-round pick Isaiah Wynn carted off: The Patriots already saw one of their first-round picks, Sony Michel, have to get his knee drained putting his start to the season in doubt. In the first quarter against the Eagles, the Patriots’ other first-round pick, tackle Isaiah Wynn, went back to pass block on his ninth play and came up limping. He left the field and eventually had to be loaded onto the cart to go to the locker room. That’s never a good sign. The fear is that he ruptured his Achilles, which would mean a lost rookie season. It was announced as an ankle injury, so hopefully, that’s all it is.

FIVE UP
DE Adrian Clayborn: This is why they brought him here. Clayborn was a menace off the Eagles’ left side against tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai as Clayborn racked up 1.5 sacks (officially he hasdone, but he set up Adam Butler‘s sack), two pressures and a forced fumble.

RB James White: Thank goodness he’s seemingly built like a tank, because who knows where they would be without Sweet Feet. He looked in midseason form with four rushes for 31 yards (his 22-yarder was a great pin-and-pull from Trent Brown and Joe Thuney) and six catches on six targets for 61 yards and a score.

DEs Deatrich Wise and Derek Rivers: We finally saw a combination deal from the pass rushers of the ’17 draft, as Rivers had 1.5 sacks (one officially but he factored into Kyle Van Noy‘s takedown) and Wise had a QB knockdown and three hurries. To have 5.5 sacks in just a half of action is good work.

QB Tom Brady: Wasn’t the most challenging gameplan he’s had to operate, but you can see what a difference a real quarterback makes. And his opening TD to Chris Hogan was vintage Brady.

FOUR DOWN
CB Keion Crossen: Things looked promising for the rookie as he opened as the nickel back, but then he had three penalties and gave up a touchdown and a 20-plus pass as things went south very quickly.
WR Eric Decker/CB Jason McCourty: Both veterans got their first meaningful action of the preseason, and it wasn’t a great show. Decker had another drop, and McCourty allowed an easy touchdown by someone named Shelton Gibson.

CB Jomal Wiltz: Twice he failed to get the required jam on the receiver in Cover 2 (to allow the safety time to get over and make the play), and one resulted in a touchdown.
Brady on team’s second drive: Out of the team’s six drives, this one was a little rough for the quarterback (the fourth drive, a three-and-out was on the offensive line as they couldn’t get the Mike blitzes figured out) as he threw late and weak to Julian Edelman in the flat, nearly threw two interceptions to Ronald Darby on Brady’s rare deep balls on the night, threw high to Cordarrelle Patterson on a slant, and looked panicky in the pocket on a second-down misfire to Phillip Dorsett. If you were looking for a reason to fret about the passing game — and these were more regular-season throws — than this drive would be it (it was without Rob Gronkowski, of course).
INJURIES
OT Isaiah Wynn (ankle): Torn Achilles & out for the year.
OT Ulrick John (unknown): Left and did not return.
S Patrick Chung (leg): Limped off the field and did return.
FOUR TAKES BEDARD WILL PROBABLY REGRET LATER
This was the “keep Brady clean plan”: When the Patriots either know they’re either shorthanded on the offensive line or can’t afford to Brady to subjected to an assault, this was the gameplan they go to with plenty of quick routes, passes to the backs and some hurry up mixed in to keep the defensive line from teeing off.
Ja’Whaun Bentley will start for the Patriots on opening day: Flashing in the first preseason game is one thing. Stacking success with a good week of practice with the starters then doing it again against the defending world champions is something else. He just looks so natural out there taking the defensive calls and not being afraid to shoot a gap in an attempt to make a play. Plus, Bentley’s shown surprising athletic ability to stick with backs out of the backfield. Bad news for Elandon Roberts.
Patriots’ screen game will be much better this season: Well, someone has been improving from last season in camp. After a year in which the Patriots were simply wretched on screen passes, New England was on top of its game against the Eagles as they had three screens that went for big gains — White, 18 yards; Patterson for 23 and nearly to the house; White, 20 and a touchdown — in the first half. David Andrews, Joe Thuney and Shaq Mason all blocked well on the screens.

The punting competition is all but over: After Ryan Allen got all the work in the opener, you figured Corey Bojorquez would get the second game but not only did he not punt, but he didn’t hold on field goals either. Unless they’re suddenly going to whip him out in the all-important third preseason game against the Panthers, Ryan Allen (who was great with a 48.7 average, 44.6 net) has this sewn up. Too bad they didn’t bring in kicking competition as well.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...agles-20-pats-finally-bring-pass-rush-eagles/

Some of the new rules are going to be annoying. The first preseason game where Rivers was flagged for essentially landing on the QB was utterly ridiculous.

The leading with the helmet rule is pretty simple. Stop lowering your head and you won't get flagged. Too bad so many players are too dumb to realize this. They'll continue to head hunt and use the helmet as a weapon.

Some of the new rules are going to be annoying. The first preseason game where Rivers was flagged for essentially landing on the QB was utterly ridiculous.

The leading with the helmet rule is pretty simple. Stop lowering your head and you won't get flagged. Too bad so many players are too dumb to realize this. They'll continue to head hunt and use the helmet as a weapon.

I can already see it now...they'll be able to use it whenever convenient for them.

- Has Dwayne Allen been cut yet? I don't even recall seeing him on the field.
- Claiborne was a beast. Hope we can get the same type of pass rush during the season
This is the only thing I like about him. He sends the wolves. I prefer that to getting carved up and playing zone all night

- Damn is Patterson fast. That WR screen may do some damage this season

The one he almost scored on (stepped out), Brady threw that perfectly (which he doesn't do every time), back to the inside, and leading the receiver, and the blocking was perfect.

But yeah, he's got that long stride. Please let me be wrong about this guy.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

This is the only thing I like about him. He sends the wolves. I prefer that to getting carved up and playing zone all night

I noticed the same thing.

That said, if you'll recall, Patricia used to send a ton of blitzes in preseason too - to go back to BBDB/GTFB in the regular season/playoffs.

They've had an attacking-style personnel for a few years now, that sucked in coverage. I can't remember how many times I said 'They're getting gashed anyway, may as well blitz'.

I thought we did some good things,” said Bill Belichick. “There’s certainly some things we need to work on. It was far from perfect. We’ll take a look at the film, build on the positives and correct the things that need to be corrected.”

ROFL That's our Bill. :coffee:

Back