So uhh, how's the job market in MA?

Joe

Registered Loser
Reaction score
So I'll be separating from the military (by choice) in the summer of 2014, and really all I'll have going for me is a few certifications and an Associates equivalent in computer sciences, along with a Top Secret clearance. Anybody got any tips on how to make myself more competitive? I'll be almost 24 when I get out, plan on finishing up my Bachelor's once I get situated in the civilian life. How much should I aim for realistically if I wanted to move to MA in terms of salary? I've always wanted to go there, but obviously I won't be picky about where I'll go if I can't afford to be. I'm going to be looking for a career in IT, more specifically as a help desk/customer support tech.

I realize this isn't an answer to your question, but try to complete your Bachelor's degree. An Associate's degree really doesn't carry that much weight around here.

Job market is pretty good for people with a college degree. Unemployment for those with a degree is only around 4%.

IT is even better. Any tech degree is good, right now.

Granted, I'm in California, not MA, but the overall market in California is worse right now than MA. I am looking for a new job as a UX/UI designer, and I get tons of calls every day from recruiters. I interviewed with one place, and they said they want to hire me, but their hiring was put on hold through the end of the year.

I anticipate them offering me a position at a 50% raise from my current job in a few months. woohoo

Good luck, and you're definitely looking to enter a solid field.

I realize this isn't an answer to your question, but try to complete your Bachelor's degree. An Associate's degree really doesn't carry that much weight around here.
Thanks, I slacked off a whole lot through the first half of my career partying and what not so I haven't picked up too much college, and I know I won't be able to squeeze in a Bachelor's by then. I'm hoping the certifications carry enough weight to get a foot in though, I hear they are almost equal in value to a Bachelor's depending on the types that you get

Job market is pretty good for people with a college degree. Unemployment for those with a degree is only around 4%.

IT is even better. Any tech degree is good, right now.

Granted, I'm in California, not MA, but the overall market in California is worse right now than MA. I am looking for a new job as a UX/UI designer, and I get tons of calls every day from recruiters. I interviewed with one place, and they said they want to hire me, but their hiring was put on hold through the end of the year.

I anticipate them offering me a position at a 50% raise from my current job in a few months. woohoo

Good luck, and you're definitely looking to enter a solid field.
Congrats! I hope I don't sound too naive but I'm really putting a lot of my stock into my experience, my clearance, my certifications, and (although as chestahh said it's probably not that big of a deal) my associates. All I really want is around 45-50 a year but I don't know what the norm is for someone with that kind of resume in IT

Thanks, I slacked off a whole lot through the first half of my career partying and what not so I haven't picked up too much college, and I know I won't be able to squeeze in a Bachelor's by then. I'm hoping the certifications carry enough weight to get a foot in though, I hear they are almost equal in value to a Bachelor's depending on the types that you get

Unfortunately, that's really not the truth in Massachusetts. Certifications don't carry much weight at all.

My wife is in human resources, and has worked for some major environmental engineering firms, including AECOM, etc.
A resume without a BS or a Masters would get tossed out without a glance.

MA has such a high, high level of competition in the tech fields that you NEED to have that bachelors or higher degree.

:sulk:

Well, one could always dream. I've talked to some of the civilians who work at the help desk and a lot of them say Security+ along with a TS clearance should be a shoe-in for most DoD help desk jobs, but I can see where not having a BS would hurt. I'm keeping my options all open (I only have a dog, I can go literally wherever the money wants me to) but my dream job would be somewhere up in the northeast.

The bachelor degree would be very helpful to you. I am sure your GI bennies would cover most if not all of that.
The secret clearance might be helpful to you in the defense and government space. There are outfits here such at MIT Lincoln Lab and Mitre Corp where such clearances are commonly required, and not commonly possessed by the talent pool you compete against.
As far as the overall job market, especially in tech or defense, pretty bad now. May get worse very soon. The defense guys have thousands of layoffs on deck, just waiting for the effects of sequestration to determine which programs / contracts lose funding. Massachusetts has huge exposure to this segment, so it is likely to get very ugly.

Best of luck as you move forward.

It was a long time ago (73) when I left the USAF with an associates degree.

The GI bill (and my wife working) provided the funds for both a BS and an MS,

Best thing I ever did.

Look in to it.

And, Good Luck, :hello:

BTW:

Location is everything, as you suggested in your OP.

A salary which gives a comfortable life is the end goal.

I once tried to shorten my commute from RI to Newton, Ma by putting my house on the market. I could not afford anything inside RT 495.

I stayed in RI, quit my MA job, and now work 5 miles away.

Much, Much better.

Back