So what's in your garden, part Deux.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Below is the OP from my 2011 gardening thread – meant to resurrect it, but it’s archived, marked old and acts dead:

What's in YOUR garden?
My garden always focuses on Heirloom Tomatoes and Chiles. The Chiles usually include (and do this year) habanero, serano, jalepeno, poblano, Thai bird, kung pao, Chzech black, cayenne, Anaheim and some others.

This year I've added a single Naga Jolokia a/k/a Bhut Jolokia a/k/a the Ghost Pepper. Hottest pepper in the world - over 1 million Scoville units - plan to dry and make flakes and use the exact way you make love to a porcupine (I said you -not me), VERY CAREFULLY for da pizza.

So what's in your garden - what do you have the most success with. How do you use them, etc.

So It’s part deux:

I'm very excited about this year in the Garden. For starters, the garlic is off to a tremendous start. It's in the background in the longer shot below. A little later and slower but you can see my peas also, right next to the planted raised bed. CF2TE mentioned he's building some raised beds and so am I. And I'm so excited about it because they are so simple, very attractive and will for sure, long outlive me. and they should significantly increase my food production AND my food selections.

I'd intended to buy some high-end dimensional western red cedar (and the price was :shake:. My buddy, cabinet maker and master builder Scott said don't do that. He sent me instead to Uncle Hilde's in Tilton NH for Western Red Cedar (untreated) 6" x 6" x 8' landscaping timbers. Got 6. Way cheaper than the lumber would have been. Cut two in half for the 4 four footers. Laid out the first frame. Dug the whole thing out to a minimum of 18" (up to 21 in one corner). Added tons of Peat, composted cow manure and old compost. Have started planting the first one and have in 2 types of carrots, 2 types of radishes, some onion sets, bush beans, spinach, parsley, and three pepper plants, way to early just for S & Gs.

Have assembled the second frame (corners simply tied together with angle brackets) but as you can see, Haven't gotten it dug out yet. Hopefully this week. Will have the usual array of tomatoes and peppers and a lot more.

But for me the big, big deal is that for the first time in years I am back to both doing and enjoying serious physical activity.

SO.
What's up in other gardens. Any great tips? It is great to be back outside.

Cheers, BostonTim

I have nothing planted at this moment, yard is in the middle of a redo. Had two blue spruces that needed to go before they took out my fence. I took them out today. Will move one of my 4' square raised bed over one of the stumps. Will buy lumber to build a second 4' square box to put over the other stump. The other raised bed will be my garden bed, will have two tomato plants (one cherry one regular), a couple pepper plants and some herbs. My wife's parents have a much bigger garden that will get some veggies from it. The two square beds will have flowers.

That looks great, Tim. My garden is primarily herbs with things like lavender, sage, basil, Thai basil, mint, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc. Last year I grew some Anaheim, Jalapeno, bell and Sweet Italian peppers with good success. This year I think I'll add Poblano, guajilla and Ancho to the mix. Baby steps for me on the Scoville scale; no ghost peppers! The latter 3 have become a favorite addition to my culinary ingredient list. I'm finding more and more ways to incorporate roasted or sauteed peppers into my dishes and the fam loves it.

Our big high tunnel was flattened by the 32" snow storm we had and has yet to be rebuilt. My wife has all kinds of garlic, greens, potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots planted outside. We've picked a lot of asparagus already. Rhubarb is nearly ready. Strawberries and Blueberries are transitioning from blossoms to berries. In the greenhouse, we already have ripe tomatoes and lemons.

No garden for us here, but my son helps at the tennis club and we've decided to reward him with an indoor herb garden, so we'll be setting that up this week.

Looks very nice, Tim.

We just planted out our raised bed this weekend.

Tomatoes and cucumbers (ingredients for gazpacho). Also green bell peppers, leeks, and peas.

We're trying watermelon this year, too, as we have found a great recipe for watermelon gazpacho. We also grow some herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary, chives), and our perennials include rhubarb and scallions, as well as fruit trees and berry bushes.

That looks great, Tim. My garden is primarily herbs with things like lavender, sage, basil, Thai basil, mint, parsley, thyme, rosemary, etc. Last year I grew some Anaheim, Jalapeno, bell and Sweet Italian peppers with good success. This year I think I'll add Poblano, guajilla and Ancho to the mix. Baby steps for me on the Scoville scale; no ghost peppers! The latter 3 have become a favorite addition to my culinary ingredient list. I'm finding more and more ways to incorporate roasted or sauteed peppers into my dishes and the fam loves it.
I read some of the herbs you plant are natural insect repellant and will by planting some myself this weekend I hope.

Catnip works great on mosquitoes but we have the cat lady 2 doors down and I fear them coming into the yard and pissing off the puppy - as of now they stay away.

My yearly tradition is a small pumpkin patch. Every year, I get about 10-15 pumpkins, put them out in the yard and let the neighborhood kids pick out the ones they want. The rest I use to line the walkway in front of the house.

I read some of the herbs you plant are natural insect repellant and will by planting some myself this weekend I hope.

Catnip works great on mosquitoes but we have the cat lady 2 doors down and I fear them coming into the yard and pissing off the puppy - as of now they stay away.

Lemon grass is a great repellant and smells nice.

~Dee~

Not doing as much as in the past. Probably just tomatoes and some herbs.
We put in a pool last fall to aid in my PT or so I'm told:wink:
So we'll mostly be working on the landscaping, but my son has a full garden at his house.

~Dee~

Finished digging out second bed.

But soil on this side of garden horrendously rocky. Decided to do something about it while all the dirt was out. Went online and found simple plan for cheep dirt screener made of one eight foot furring strip and a piece of 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth (it's not cloth in spite of name. It's wire mesh). Then started hand sifting the soil into the wheelbarrow (screen sits perfectly) three shovels full at a time. Works incredibly well.. Not done today is day three and should finish today.

Memorial Day weekend up next. In go the nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant).

Psyched.

Cheers, BostonTim

We planted our garden this past weekend, had to get another cubic yard of garden soil and build up our potato box. I know we're planting several different kinds of broccoli, potato's (Yukon gold and reds), kale, lettuce, snap peas, rosemary, and some other herbs, tomato's, and 1 or 2 other things I can't recall. We're about 3 weeks early this year and were lucky to find what we wanted to plant.

Memorial Day weekend up next. In go the nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant).

Psyched.

Cheers, BostonTim

Mmmmmmmmmm, that's some good dirt. :wave:

My garden bed, two tomatoes (cherry and big beef), one red pepper and four green pepper plants and a parsley plant.

We have two square raised beds, one I bought and put the flowers in, the other Sarah did, can you guess which one is mine?

But soil on this side of garden horrendously rocky. Decided to do something about it while all the dirt was out. Went online and found simple plan for cheep dirt screener made of one eight foot furring strip and a piece of 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth (it's not cloth in spite of name. It's wire mesh). Then started hand sifting the soil into the wheelbarrow (screen sits perfectly) three shovels full at a time. Works incredibly well.. Not done today is day three and should finish today.

Psyched.

Cheers, BostonTim

Tom Brady hates you

They are a new type my father in found. Serious, it looks that way but they are correctly placed.

Quite pleased. Weather is quite amenable, my soil is prepped, my plants were ready and basically the garden is installed.

In the ground are 21 Tomato Plants (15 varieties) and 21 peppers (12 varieties). Eggplant are in. Peas look good, Garlic is great. Beans ar5e ready to grab the trellis. Some good lettuce is ready to eat. The raised beds have lots of other stuff ready to germinate I hope.

Point. Best earliest, start I can recall. I have been re-energized for some reason and I like it.

Wish us well.

Cheers, BostonTim

Quite pleased. Weather is quite amenable, my soil is prepped, my plants were ready and basically the garden is installed.

In the ground are 21 Tomato Plants (15 varieties) and 21 peppers (12 varieties). Eggplant are in. Peas look good, Garlic is great. Beans ar5e ready to grab the trellis. Some good lettuce is ready to eat. The raised beds have lots of other stuff ready to germinate I hope.

Point. Best earliest, start I can recall. I have been re-energized for some reason and I like it.

Wish us well.

Cheers, BostonTim

Only if you send some veggies my way. Good luck and looking good!

~Dee~

Back