Soccer Thread

Groups B, D and G are all tough as nails.

In other news, we need more of this on NFL draft day. **** Goddell.

u_982351386349619.jpg

Germany will be tough but Portugal routinely underachieves internationally. Dangerous due to talent but I think Germany is the only lock.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know about Portugal underachieving. They're hardly favorites to win anything, but were runners up in 04 European, reached semi finals in 2012, got 4th in the 06 world cup and reached the quarters in 2010.

Think they had a quarter final run in the 08 Euros, too. Definitely not world beaters, but wouldn't call them underachievers since they haven't been a great team since the days of Figo (that team, however, may have underachieved).

Well, Liverpool all but gave away the title last week and have to hope City decides to give it back.

With the club season in Europe winding down the world cup camps will be opening up.

World Cup play opens up in a little more than a month.

Don't follow soccer much outside of the WC, has Donovan been that bad?

I'm glad they draw Ghana 1st. If they can win that game somehow and draw a point in 1 of the next 2 it's possible to advance, given that it's the "Group of Death."

I like the fact that Klinsmann isn't taking Donovan. I'm not a Donovan fan, I think he's too small and gets pushed around too easily by big defenders of the likes of teams like Germany. I'd rather see a young kid get a shot rather than the same old same old. Make the other teams prepare for the lesser known too. I'm not too overly optimistic, but I'll be watching and hoping for the best. IF they can somehow get to the knockout stage, who knows, anything can happen.

I always though Landon was a bit soft, but you couldn't fault his performance in the World Cups. I think his greatest mistake was signing in Germany when he was a kid instead of in England (where he would have broken in quicker and had an excellent career).

Tough call. IMO Klinsamn wanted to cup tie the German/American players, and Donovan made it an easier decision when he took the bulk of qualifying off.

He's a good player, I just think they'll be better off without him. He's not really a difference maker like Dempsey and Bradley. The only reason people are pissed/surprised is because he's popular, and in most cases the only guy people know on the USMNT.

I don't think having him on the team is going to make them any better or worse, I guess, given the draw of their group. I still maintain that he's too small and NOT physical enough, especially against teams like Germany, Italy, and even England to an extent.

BTW, I liked your analogy of Klinsmann being the German BB. I have been known to tell people that if BB was a soccer coach he would be the HC of the German national team. Too funny

Back