Soccer Thread

Leicester City clinched the most improbable title in the history of sport.

5000-1 long shots at the start of the season.

The best American analogy I can come up with is a AAA baseball team being allowed to compete in the show and winning the World Series.

Honest to goodness shocking the world.

The Miracle on Ice? :shrug:

The Miracle on Ice? :shrug:

Let's be honest, the Miracle on Ice was one game. The odds of winning one game under those circumstances were maybe 100-1. Now if the US Olympic team and the Soviet team both played a season against one and other, let's say in the NHL, how would it have turned out?

The Soviets, an all star team would have been a favorite. Team USA, a college all star team probably wins a dozen games or so, maybe even beats the Soviets once.

Let's be honest, the Miracle on Ice was one game. The odds of winning one game under those circumstances were maybe 100-1. Now if the US Olympic team and the Soviet team both played a season against one and other, let's say in the NHL, how would it have turned out?

The Soviets, an all star team would have been a favorite. Team USA, a college all star team probably wins a dozen games or so, maybe even beats the Soviets once.

Of course, I don't know the first thing about soccer or their leagues, so I'm not really qualified to comment. But the Miracle on Ice was more than one game. The US team was at or near the bottom of the rankings going into the Games. They had to play several teams that were far more talented than they were including the Soviets, Swedes and Finns (all playing with pros disguised as amateurs). Just the tie against Sweden was considered a major upset.

I'd be interested to hear an analysis of how the Leicester team pulled it off. For example, we all consider SB36 to be somewhat of a miracle season, but we can point to specific reasons why they pulled it off. For those of us who are soccer ignorant, what was different about the Leicester team compare to the previous season?

It's hard to say because Leicester was so insignificant last year (barley avoiding relegation)

I'd say hiring a big boy coach was the biggest thing. The emergence of a 29 year old striker how hadn't done much of anything before. Playing really smart fundamental soccer, a straight 4-4-2 without any BS. They were really just shooting for the middle of the table to solidify their spot in the league and then look towards the Europa League (the lessor of the 2 Europe wide competitions) next year.

I didn't start noticing them until January or so (once the Pats finish I pay a lot more attention to EPL).

Lightning in a bottle more or less. Hope they can hold on to Vardy, Schmeichel, Huth & Mahrez to keep it interesting next year.

Enjoyable game last night.

The Costa Rican coach is a dumbass. They were pressing high the whole first half and every time the US broke the pressure it was a jailbreak. Better finishing touches and it could have been 5-0 at half.

This is an excellent soccer summer. The Copa and the Euros make for some good quality games to enjoy. There are rumors that The Copa and the Gold Cup might make this a permanent merger, making this an every 2 year event. Yes Please.

It's ironic but this might be the thing that saves me as an NFL fan. Despite the corruption of FIFA the game is still enjoyable. If I can cultivate the same attitude about the NFL I may find myself still caring.

It's hard to say because Leicester was so insignificant last year (barley avoiding relegation)

I'd say hiring a big boy coach was the biggest thing. The emergence of a 29 year old striker how hadn't done much of anything before. Playing really smart fundamental soccer, a straight 4-4-2 without any BS. They were really just shooting for the middle of the table to solidify their spot in the league and then look towards the Europa League (the lessor of the 2 Europe wide competitions) next year.

I didn't start noticing them until January or so (once the Pats finish I pay a lot more attention to EPL).

Lightning in a bottle more or less. Hope they can hold on to Vardy, Schmeichel, Huth & Mahrez to keep it interesting next year.

Vardy is going to Arsenal. Mahrez is good as gone as well. Kante is probably out the door for a big contract somewhere as well (maybe PSG or Chelsea)

It's ironic but this might be the thing that saves me as an NFL fan. Despite the corruption of FIFA the game is still enjoyable. If I can cultivate the same attitude about the NFL I may find myself still caring.

Correct me if i am wrong, but the corruption in FIFA is more related to venue, payola, kick-backs. It isn't directly targeted at the product on the field.

Personally, I don't care where the games are played (although Qatar does kinda suck), but as long as the rules are applied equally and the refs do their best with a fast paced game, I'm okay.

The NFL on the other hand.... :banghead:

On to the Semi's...

Alexi Lalas was effusive in his praise last night, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with the defense. I think a team as talented as Argentina would have scored at least three goals in the last 30 minutes or so. Granted, it could have been a spacing issue being down a man, but Ecuador was missing a body as well, and it isn't going to get any easier missing three starters on Tuesday.

I'm thrilled the team is progressing, but I smell a 4-1 thrashing coming.

Lalas is the Warren Sapp of Soccer pundits. He needs a swift kick in the nuts.

I don't have much hope of beating Argentina, but I like the progress. It's not a top 10 program yet, but it's starting to look like we fit in the second tier. This is the kind of game the USMNT usually finds a way to puke on their shoes (think Ghana).

Argentina is exceptional, the part of me that loves the game will enjoy watching them dismantle my national team.

Woot! Albania got its first ever goal at a major tournament and it's ever victory. Well deserved. Hopefully we finally get some good luck and get into the KO rounds. Either way I'm proud of them. Great showing.

United over Leicester in the Community Shield.

United's D looked underwhelming, so they added Pogba :shrug_n:

Leicester has a lot of speed (ok pace) on the attack.

Are their any top managers NOT in the Premiership this year?

Very interesting year shaping up in England.

United over Leicester in the Community Shield.

United's D looked underwhelming, so they added Pogba :shrug_n:

Leicester has a lot of speed (ok pace) on the attack.

Are their any top managers NOT in the Premiership this year?

Very interesting year shaping up in England.
Allegri, Ancelotti, Simeone and Tuchel are 4 that come to mind. I know Tuchel is not a household name but I think he's very good.

OK for those of you who may not understand the finer points of World Cup qualifying in our confederation, there are 6 teams in the final round, the top 3 move on, the 4th has a play in game, 2 go home.

We finished 5th.

Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe the situation.

Back