Sox Opening Day Ring Ceremony

Is and Opening Day ring ceremony disrespectful to the Yankees??

• Yes....It should be done at a separate event.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes....it should be done when another team is in town

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I waited 86 F'n years for this.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • no, Nothing would satisfy me more than watching A-Rod, and the Yanks enjoying their choke job a litt

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

#1Patsfan_chica

Rodney Harrison Fan Club
Reaction score
Red Sox Rings

What's up with the owners not wanting to present the Red Sox rings in the home opener against the Yankees. After 86 years of not winning and the Yankees always beating us, I think the rings should be presented in front of the Yankees and rub it in their face. That would be awesome to watch. The Yankees do it, remember Buck Dent throwing out the first pitch in one of the playoff games in Yankee Stadium last year.

I would rather just start acting like the Yankees don't matter. As in, why would we present the world series rings in front of the Yankees? We didn't win those rings against the Yankees, we won them against the Cardinals. Who cares about the Yankees, they haven't won anything in 5 years.

That would piss them off more. Presenting the rings just to rub their faces in it, makes us no different then they are.

I really wish Bob Kraft would have bought the Sox...and since when do they care about the hurting the feelings of 'The Evil Empire. Every move they do is worse than the last.

Do you think for a second if the roles were reveresed that the Yankees would hold off...I don't think so.

Re: I agree...

Adams85 said:
where does this crazy idea come from, not wanting to offend the Yankees, maybe the Pats should be there with all their bling.

I love that idea, the Patriots had the Sox at their opener.

I think so far every year the Pats have won the SB they've been at the Sox home opener. So they'll probably be there.

I can't wait to see the Pats at the home opener. To have both championship teams under one roof. Take out all 4 of the trophies. That is going to be a beautiful scene.
:D o:) :thumb:

Re: I agree...

Adams85 said:
where does this crazy idea come from, not wanting to offend the Yankees, maybe the Pats should be there with all their bling.

I'm glad you brought this up......

I idea of not wanting to display the rings in the home opener out of fairness to the Yanks makes me sick!!!!

This is the same team the marched Bucky F'n Dent out every game of the ALCS to throw out the first pitch.

This ownership has given me very little to complain about as so far, I think they've done a stellar job.

HOWEVER.....I don't need Larry Luchino, Tom Werner, and John Henry's lesson in class at this moment. They are not locals. It's easy for them to say "we won it now loets move on." But Larry Luchino didn't have to suffer all those years. Tom Werner didn't have to grow up listening to his grandfathers stories of how Johnny Pesky held the ball. John Henry didn't sleep ovenright for tickets to the 78' playoff game only to see Buckey Dent break his heart. My dad did and he's been bitching about it since.

To the Ownership.....We thank you for all your hard work, and sacrifices to make this team a Champion.....but don't pretend for one second that you shared in the pain of New Englanders.

This isn't about respect.....its about letting go. Its our time to step out of the shadows of inferiority and let the sun hits our face...even if its for this one brief moment.

Re: Re: I agree...

BobKraftsCoozie said:
I'm glad you brought this up......

I idea of not wanting to display the rings in the home opener out of fairness to the Yanks makes me sick!!!!

This is the same team the marched Bucky F'n Dent out every game of the ALCS to throw out the first pitch.

This ownership has given me very little to complain about as so far, I think they've done a stellar job.

HOWEVER.....I don't need Larry Luchino, Tom Werner, and John Henry's lesson in class at this moment. They are not locals. It's easy for them to say "we won it now loets move on." But Larry Luchino didn't have to suffer all those years. Tom Werner didn't have to grow up listening to his grandfathers stories of how Johnny Pesky held the ball. John Henry didn't sleep ovenright for tickets to the 78' playoff game only to see Buckey Dent break his heart. My dad did and he's been bitching about it since.

To the Ownership.....We thank you for all your hard work, and sacrifices to make this team a Champion.....but don't pretend for one second that you shared in the pain of New Englanders.

This isn't about respect.....its about letting go. Its our time to step out of the shadows of inferiority and let the sun hits our face...even if its for this one brief moment.

Well put, I agree with every point you made.

Not that I really care about the Yankees that much, but I thought the notion of doing a "ring ceremony" at the actual game to be a bit over the top.

The Patriots recieved their rings at a private swanky bash at Bob Kraft's place in Brookline if I recall correctly.

With all due respect to the Sox season ticket holders why should they get to share this moment that, to me at least, rightfully should be a private celebration with the players and front office?

Raise the championship flag at the opener and dont give a damn about the opposition, but I simply don't understand why the rings are part of this debate.

Can somebody help a brother understand this?

I would say the same thing if we were opening against the Little Rock Inbreeders.

We should try to act like we've been there before even if the last time was so long ago that dirt hadn't been invented.

My understanding is that having the ring ceremony on opening day is pretty standard procedure in baseball. I don't know if all teams have done it that way but I believe it's a common practice.

Who cares where they get their rings???? The Pats did it at a private event. The rings in all honesty mean nothing to the fans...Its the banner that does, and they shoul;dnt change that for no one

StarKleck said:
My understanding is that having the ring ceremony on opening day is pretty standard procedure in baseball. I don't know if all teams have done it that way but I believe it's a common practice.

I've heard that too, but I still don't understand why it has to be that way. I mean, we don't exactly have our own tradition in such things.

I prefer the way the Pats did it, but it wouldn't break my heart to have them do it in front of the Yankees.

I also thought of Bucky Dent throwing out the first pitch in the ALCS when I heard of this little bruhaha. Having "class" isn't necessarily a Yankees trait like some of them would have us believe.

StarKleck said:

I did not know that. That's why I was surprised to even see this story hit the media this week. Of course, the Sox had never won it so I would expect there are probably a lot of Sox fans that didn't know that was common.

My ideal would be to have them unveil the championship banner and as in years past have the Pats players there on opening day. Now the only question is which three Pats players are going to carry the Lombardis across the diamond.

I wonder if Arod will sport that ugly hate filled face (as he did after game 7) while all of this is taking place.

Hawg73 said:
I've heard that too, but I still don't understand why it has to be that way. I mean, we don't exactly have our own tradition in such things.

It's just tradition I guess. I don't know every team does it that way or not. But the fans expected the ring ceremony to be held on opening day and many paid exorbant amounts of money to be there. It's just not the right thing to do to change the date after people have already made their plans and spent the money. If they had wanted to do it on another day they should've let the fans know sooner.

Of course, now it's out there that the reason they're trying to change the date is because the rings simply won't be ready in time. This whole thing just isn't being handled in a very competent manner.

A couple of years ago the Angels received their rings on Opening Day. I saw the highlights on tv. The ring ceremony should be presented on tv so that not only the people at the stadium see it but all the fans of Red Sox nation can see it.
:D o:) :thumb:

I heard that John Henry said it might be a mute point anyway because the rings might not be ready for opening day? Which I think is a joke. I can't help but think he is only using that as an excuse.

Why not rub their noses in it, it could easily happen to them next year.

backofthepack said:
I heard that John Henry said it might be a mute point anyway because the rings might not be ready for opening day? Which I think is a joke. I can't help but think he is only using that as an excuse.

If they had used Balfour instead of Jostens I bet their rings would be ready! ;) :thumb:

ENFORCER said:
Who cares where they get their rings???? The Pats did it at a private event. The rings in all honesty mean nothing to the fans...Its the banner that does, and they shoul;dnt change that for no one

I think this should all be done on opening day, but the main part of it is the flag raising. They should let Johnny Pesky, Yaz and some old timers pull the rope that actually raises the flag.

Back