Sox Planet - come join us for some sexy sox talk

Sox have a dogshit bullpen, and their rotation has a history of pooping their pants in the playoffs.

Unless they can just outslug everyone, don't sleep on a team like Houston with proven postseason pitching.

You just summed up the tribe on a nutshell. Horrendous pen.

Sox bullpen is ranked 5th in the majors. Pitching staff overall is ranked 2nd. They're 50 games over .500 and have a 10 game lead. Houston doesn't scare me, Oakland doesn't scare me, Cleveland is the only team in the Central over .500 and will win that division by default.

yankees have a better pen and are going to get position players back.

the wheels are falling off for them. They're going to burn it out because the rotation is a total AIDS fire. On top of that, it's overrated and has been all year. Since June 1st the Yankees are 10 games over .500, that's barely a playoff team.

The other point on the Yanks is injuries which is BS. Judge is a star, Sanchez is a marginal catcher.
And the Sox have it worse. Pedroia out. Bogaerts long stint on DL, Betts out 10 games, Rodriguez long absence, sale 10 days, Vasquez long absence, and more. None of it made any difference. NY loses two starters and that’s why they are getting their clock cleaned. No way I buy that.

Sox bullpen is ranked 5th in the majors.

In large part due to Kimbrell, who has been terrible for the past several weeks. Furthermore, there is good reason to believe that his first half production was inflated for the same reason for his recent struggles. Namely, an inability to throw strikes.

Kimbrell came into this season with the (well earned) rep of a strike thrower. This led opposing teams to believe hacking early and often was the best approach. This year, however, his strike % has plummeted from roughly 55% to about 45%. To put that in perspective, the span from the worst in the league to the best is typically about 12% (excluding outliers). So Craig essentially went from one of the best to one of the worst almost overnight.

In the first half of the season, this poor % was actually a boon because batters would be swinging at a lot of balls. Recently, they've adjusted to force Kimbrell to come into the zone, and this patience has led to a high number of hitter's counts.

From what I've seen, Kimbrell's pitches still have a lot of movement on them, so it seems feasible that he can be successful even going back to the 55% strike rate. But if he struggles to either lift the strike % or to be competitive at higher rates, the bullpen will be a serious problem.

Don't look now, but the mighty Astros have lost 5 straight and they're division lead is down to 1 game.

In large part due to Kimbrell, who has been terrible for the past several weeks. Furthermore, there is good reason to believe that his first half production was inflated for the same reason for his recent struggles. Namely, an inability to throw strikes.

Kimbrell came into this season with the (well earned) rep of a strike thrower. This led opposing teams to believe hacking early and often was the best approach. This year, however, his strike % has plummeted from roughly 55% to about 45%. To put that in perspective, the span from the worst in the league to the best is typically about 12% (excluding outliers). So Craig essentially went from one of the best to one of the worst almost overnight.

In the first half of the season, this poor % was actually a boon because batters would be swinging at a lot of balls. Recently, they've adjusted to force Kimbrell to come into the zone, and this patience has led to a high number of hitter's counts.

From what I've seen, Kimbrell's pitches still have a lot of movement on them, so it seems feasible that he can be successful even going back to the 55% strike rate. But if he struggles to either lift the strike % or to be competitive at higher rates, the bullpen will be a serious problem.

I don't mean to sound like Mazz, but there's something to the fact that there are a lot of teams on the tank in the AL - it's as bad as I ever remember. 2 teams going to lose 100 games (at least), only 7 teams over .500 in the League, 4 of them in one division.

Sox have fared well, and their offense is what I'm most impressed with. I've just seen these same players flame out when it comes to the playoffs before. You know, Sale's going to have to go 8 in a playoff game. Boegarts is going to have to get a couple of hits in a game. Joe Kelly's going to have to get someone out in a big spot. Things like that. I've got Price off the table entirely, I expect nothing from that guy.

I'm enjoying the ride, and maybe Cora really is the difference that they needed in the clubhouse - but I think healthy skepticism is warranted here.

Don't look now, but the mighty Astros have lost 5 straight and they're division lead is down to 1 game.
I rather the Astros win the division and play the indians with the A's facing off with Yankees. o need for A's/Idians with sox playing winner of Houston/NY

I don't mean to sound like Mazz, but there's something to the fact that there are a lot of teams on the tank in the AL - it's as bad as I ever remember. 2 teams going to lose 100 games (at least), only 7 teams over .500 in the League, 4 of them in one division.

Sox have fared well, and their offense is what I'm most impressed with. I've just seen these same players flame out when it comes to the playoffs before. You know, Sale's going to have to go 8 in a playoff game. Boegarts is going to have to get a couple of hits in a game. Joe Kelly's going to have to get someone out in a big spot. Things like that. I've got Price off the table entirely, I expect nothing from that guy.

I'm enjoying the ride, and maybe Cora really is the difference that they needed in the clubhouse - but I think healthy skepticism is warranted here.
the sale rest routine in August seems different this year.
Kelly needs to get into a fight to heat up :D
X and Mookie both need to hit in the playoffs but JD seems to be a calming influence to the bats - hell he fixed JBJ
Price is ok out of the pen, I would start ERod and put Price in the pen but it will be the other way.

the pen in the Playoffs could include Pomerantz and Edwardo

I rather the Astros win the division and play the indians with the A's facing off with Yankees. o need for A's/Idians with sox playing winner of Houston/NY

the sale rest routine in August seems different this year.
Kelly needs to get into a fight to heat up :D
X and Mookie both need to hit in the playoffs but JD seems to be a calming influence to the bats - hell he fixed JBJ
Price is ok out of the pen, I would start ERod and put Price in the pen but it will be the other way.

the pen in the Playoffs could include Pomerantz and Edwardo

Price in the bullpen as a hard-throwing lefty who can strike guys out isn't a bad option. I don't care how much he makes, it's not my money.

Cora is exactly what this team needed. A personality with a winning track record that understands and relates. I was a bit suspect of the hire, thinking they were just going minority for the sake of going minority. But he’s been nothing short of fantastic.

Price to the pen is the absolute no brained. He can be devastating out there. Proven track record. Has the stuff and stamina to give you 2, maybe 3, innings if need be on a relative short rest. Cora has the ability to really work him or hide him, depending on the team.

The question is can he subjugate his own ego for a possible championship?

I'm not sure I understand your point.

No matter how it shakes out, short of a collapse by the Sox and Yanks, the West winner will get to host Cleveland while the East winner will have to play a formidable wild card. Just one of those years when the wild cards are better than a division winner. I'd much rather see the Sox play Cleveland while the other 3 battle each other.

Cora is exactly what this team needed. A personality with a winning track record that understands and relates. I was a bit suspect of the hire, thinking they were just going minority for the sake of going minority. But he’s been nothing short of fantastic.

Price to the pen is the absolute no brained. He can be devastating out there. Proven track record. Has the stuff and stamina to give you 2, maybe 3, innings if need be on a relative short rest. Cora has the ability to really work him or hide him, depending on the team.

I don't see Price going to the pen at all. Understand everyone is nervous about him starting, but he's your game 3 starter in a 5 game series.

I'm not sure I understand your point.

No matter how it shakes out, short of a collapse by the Sox and Yanks, the West winner will get to host Cleveland while the East winner will have to play a formidable wild card. Just one of those years when the wild cards are better than a division winner. I'd much rather see the Sox play Cleveland while the other 3 battle each other.
I want the yanks going to Oakland for the play in game only to have winner fly to Boston to play in 1st round with Cleveland and Houston beating each other up.

The long flight to and from Boston for a single game should kick the Yankees arse if they win.

I been praising AC for a while now, he is the kick they needed off and on the field.

I don't see Price going to the pen at all. Understand everyone is nervous about him starting, but he's your game 3 starter in a 5 game series.

Maybe.

I think it’s Sale, Porcello. Then it depends on opponent.

If the first round is NY you want him taking the hill in Yankee Stadium?

There’s time to see how much Evoldi brings and how strong ERod comes back.

I want the yanks going to Oakland for the play in game only to have winner fly to Boston to play in 1st round with Cleveland and Houston beating each other up.

The long flight to and from Boston for a single game should kick the Yankees arse if they win.

Now I get it. I wasn't sure if you had a KoK moment with your typing :domORIGINAL:

I agree, but the Yanks are still 3.5 up for the home play in game. I'd still would rather have MLB give the team with the best record the 1st series against the team with the worst record, but it is what it is.

Now I get it. I wasn't sure if you had a KoK moment with your typing :domORIGINAL:

I agree, but the Yanks are still 3.5 up for the home play in game. I'd still would rather have MLB give the team with the best record the 1st series against the team with the worst record, but it is what it is.

That would be interesting.

They've done it before. :shrug:

They've done it before. :shrug:

they have, and it was last year, but IIRC he did a couple of turns on the DL including in September. they could only get a few innings at a time out of him, so the pen made sense.

The other thing is if you get down in a series, every pitcher on the roster is available out of the pen anyway.

Maybe.

I think it’s Sale, Porcello. Then it depends on opponent.

If the first round is NY you want him taking the hill in Yankee Stadium?

There’s time to see how much Evoldi brings and how strong ERod comes back.

If we were up 2 games, I'd feel less nervous! :toast:

Aside from the obviously sketchy bullpen, the bold is my biggest concern. As impressive as the offensive numbers are, it's not a particularly deep group. Betts and JDM are obvious studs, but JBJ, Leon and Devers are weak links that can't be counted on for a single key hit between the three of them. Then there are a bunch of guys who are easy to imagine having a 2-for-15 series, like Moreland, Holt, Nunez and Swihart. Even guys like Benny and Boegarts feel like they can handled without much difficulty in a playoff series. This is a far cry from 2004 when 17HR, 80RBI Mark Bellhorn was probably the worst hitter. Yes, I know the numbers have come down for everyone since then, but I think the point still stands.

My worry is that playoff teams are going to take a hack-a-Shaq approach to this lineup. Pitch around the dual MVPs and force everyone else to make them pay, something I'm not convinced they'll be able to do for more than 4-5 runs a game.

The line is between greatness and mediocrity is perilously thin, which is a testament to how remarkable this season has been.

Back