Special Teams

Flagg the Wanderer

Mourning Algernon
Reaction score
I know, such a sexy topic...

So I've basically worked under the assumption that STs under BB have been outstanding. After all, we dedicate multiple roster spots beyond P/K/LS to Teams every year, and we consistently hear how much focus the Patriots place on Teams. I was thinking of how uncharacteristically bad Teams have been so far this year.

But I was looking at the expected points stats on profootballreference and (with the caveat that I don't know how that is measured) I was pretty taken aback to find that it you go back through 2015, the Patriots only have a positive value for Teams about half the time. And considering that during that time the Patriots have generally had excellent punters, kickers, and returners, wouldn't that mean that it's all the subtle, little things that are bringing down their score on that metric? This seems to run counter to what we've generally held out yo be true.

So...bad metric? Something I'm missing? Just a case of a runaway narrative blinding people to what is actually happening?

Concerning especially when you consider we have 6 players for STs only. It's worse this year so far than I can remember.

Back