Steph Stradley Goes Off On Easterby, McNair And Their Choice of Caserio As GM

She wrote this in response to Caserio's press conference for publication in the Houston Chronicle for all Texans fans to see. She is not happy.

I have seen every significant press conference since the beginning of the team. Given the attention to this one, the topic, the timing, the misery of the fans and players, the trust and confidence needed to be earned, this, by far was the worst press conference in almost 20-year history of the team.

Since the announcement of the formation of the Texans, I have followed the team closer than is medically advisable.

Firstly, because I enjoy watching football and having a local team to watch and the energy from that. But also, as sort of a case study of how to build a sports organization from scratch, and more specifically, what works and doesn’t work for winning NFL football.

The strategy of that on every level is fascinating to me. Eventually, by default, I ended up being a person who paid too much attention to the Texans so others don’t have to.

“Please wake me up when they are going to be good.”

When you read this, please read it in the descriptive and not the pejorative. I am unemotionally dissecting the events of the day because just describing it factually is bad enough and requires blood pressure medication and the like for some.

Ultimately, I would like for the energy around the team and the fanbase to be better, for winning football to happen, and read this with that author’s intent.

You already have enough going on. I don’t want to make it worse.

What were the main takeaways from the press conference?

I was not able to ask a question in the press conference because it was limited to 45 minutes and I wasn’t called on. Before writing this, I reached out to the team to see if I could get comments on any of these subjects which was not able to be accommodated.

There will be another press conference — hopefully for fans better than this one — when the coach is announced.

Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair talked about how important culture and trust were for the team. He talked repeatedly about how things aren’t that bad, without discussing in depth the existing culture issues and the bad energy from the players.

He said this would not be more of Patriots South.

The new GM, Nick Caserio said his vision for the players to be “selfless,” “team and others before self.” He used many examples of the Patriots to support his views. He reinforced how important Jack Easterby has been in his life personally, and that he is going to rely on him but not for personnel.

He discussed in depth his college football career which showed his enthusiasm and in practical terms, ran out the clock of the press conference.

Key lessons

What are the lessons that should be learned by the Texans but apparently were not by the choice in Caserio and his embrace of Easterby going forward? So many but here’s some.

Anyone taking the Texans head coaching job is going to have to be cool with Easterby. Good luck.

During the process, Cal McNair said this was going to be the GMs decision, and clearly Easterby is staying.
So many quality coaching candidates, who have options on where to go, are marking the Texans off their list unless they are fine with this, and/or wildly overpaid.

By far, the biggest winner of this Texans press conference was Nick Caserio and Jack Easterby’s shared agent.

Keeping someone’s with Easterby’s background and the ear of the owner, and the pain he has caused this organization makes Caserio look like someone just rewarding his pal versus someone who understands this organization at all.

Much much more. The girl's on FIRE!

Tough (impossible?) for any organization to be successful when you have a shit-for-brains owner.

Who himself is not a football person but a man of faith.
Now we're told Eric Bieniemy was interviewed by McNair without Caserio (pr Watson) being present.
Jeez, Louise...

View: https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1351521464097398785

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein
Lance Zierlein

Replying to
@texan_uk and @Houstonfootbal3

A request for trade will be made soon.

5:50 AM · Jan 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

Last edited:
McNair TOLD Watson he would be included and then didn't include him. McNair lied to Watson. Easterby was the cause.

I doubt BB ever told Brady anything like that.

No, it's not normal procedure on NFL teams.

There's a whole lot of difference in Easterby's role here vs in Houston.
BB limited his role to that of Chaplain here. BB understood by reputation that Easterby is ambitious and seeks power. BB prevented power grabbing from happening.

Easterby had McNair's ear the day he went there and McNair gave Easterby the power he wanted all in the name of faith & religion. Chaos ensued.
McNair continues to stand by Easterby after firing the GM, making BO'B the GM, then GM by committee, firing O'Brien, trading Hopkins and the team doing badly.
Fans were livid over changes made in the name of Patriots South. Now Caserio comes from the Pats. Fans, players and media are fed up.
there is a thread on the texans forum about easterby... its amazing how many people defended this guy in light of the chaos that has enveloped that franchise since his arrival... Completely blind to the machinations he used to gather the power he now wields... Getting the faux owner and team president to fall on swords in a public manner just illustrates how deeply he is dug in there... By the end of the 2021 season it would not surprise me if jamey rootes is gone and you know who succeeds him... Caserio had better cover his ass down there, because it looks like there is a real honest to god serpent hiding in the grass down there

there is a thread on the texans forum about easterby... its amazing how many people defended this guy in light of the chaos that has enveloped that franchise since his arrival... Completely blind to the machinations he used to gather the power he now wields... Getting the faux owner and team president to fall on swords in a public manner just illustrates how deeply he is dug in there... By the end of the 2021 season it would not surprise me if jamey rootes is gone and you know who succeeds him... Caserio had better cover his ass down there, because it looks like there is a real honest to god serpent hiding in the grass down there
Link?

Caserio and Easterby (and Josh McD) became best friends in the 6 years Easterby spent as the Patriots' chaplain. However, if Caserio goes against Easterby a time or two it could get ugly. I look at it this way:
McNair owns the football team but he's not a football guy
Easterby is McNair's personal life coach and cult leader
Caserio runs the team with McNair's blessing...and Easterby's approval.
It's a fine line between harmony and chaos.

Link?

Caserio and Easterby (and Josh McD) became best friends in the 6 years Easterby spent as the Patriots' chaplain. However, if Caserio goes against Easterby a time or two it could get ugly. I look at it this way:

Link?

add to that - Easterby was Cal McNairs first hire after assuming the head honcho title... he has a vested interest in protecting him... would make anyone in their right mind nervous about crossing Chaplain Chaos down there

And now the Texans add a Head Coach. This move has Easterby's fingerprints all over it.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1354521543683014657

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1354636488378638336

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1354594723705597955

He was hired bc of his character and interpersonal skills. Texans fans hope he knows how to prepare a team to win before and during a game.

He has lots of experience coaching WRs with the Steelers, Eagles and Chiefs. He spent a lot of time on Andy Reid's staffs as Assistant Head Coach.
Caserio and Easterby getting as far from the BB tree as possible with this hire.

And now the Texans add a Head Coach. This move has Easterby's fingerprints all over it.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1354521543683014657

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1354636488378638336

View: https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1354594723705597955

He was hired bc of his character and interpersonal skills. Texans fans hope he knows how to prepare a team to win before and during a game.

He has lots of experience coaching WRs with the Steelers, Eagles and Chiefs. He spent a lot of time on Andy Reid's staffs as Assistant Head Coach.
Caserio and Easterby getting as far from the BB tree as possible with this hire.

The new guy could actually be a decent hire.

He has a no trade clause. The Pats better hope Watson tells the Texans the only place he will go is the Patriots.
That's the only way the Pats can swing Watson since other teams have better assets to give the Texans.
If the Pats are going to that, Shaggy makes more sense. :coffee:

Back