Steve Belichick

Roberto71

Reaction score
Very good article in the link below on a guy who will clearly become a good coach following his dad and his granddad.

Interesting on how Greg Schiano noticed his coaching talent in Rutgers and gave him particular projects even though he was still a player. He's really following in the family footsteps. Has that knack especially of breaking down film.

ASK BILL BELICHICK about working with his son and he’ll smile and tell you it’s “awesome.”

Seeing Steve grow as a coach has been special. It also brings him back to when he was in his 20s, trying to make a name for himself. He first cut his teeth as a special assistant with the Baltimore Colts in 1975, a year out of college. His father’s connection with Colts’ special-teams coach George Boutselis earned him the opportunity, but it was up to the young coach to make the most of it.

With each season, Bill Belichick was given more responsibility. He remembers what it was like to gradually gain trust from coaches and players around him.
“It’s great to see him on a daily basis and to see him grow and develop as a coach,” Bill Belichick said. “I certainly think back to my time at that age and what that meant to me, each day, each week, each game, because you don’t have very many of them at that point. Each year, how much growth and knowledge you absorb. And then being able to put it into application, you know, the second, third time around after you’ve gotten it.”

In practice he's glued to linebackers coach Patrick Graham, but it’s behind the scenes where he’s making a name for himself. This offseason, the Patriots had him work out players before the draft. One of those was third-round pick Geneo Grissom, the defensive lineman from Oklahoma.

“At first glance, I was like, ‘Dang, he’s young. He’s really young,’ ” Grissom said.
But the two hit it off. Young players often turn to Steve Belichick to learn the ropes inside Gillette Stadium. He teaches them how to study, watch tape and about the terminology.

“He has a great understanding of the game. He’s really relatable,” Grissom said. “He’s really great with players like myself or in my position, rookies. Being able to just kind of help us and guide us through on this process.”

He’s also “progressively” taken over the defensive scout team. Inside the building, he handles paperwork for defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, writing up scouting reports. Like he did in high school and college, he studies film. He’ll break down plays from opposing teams and put together highlight packages for the coaches and players.

“Instead of somebody telling him, ‘Put these plays together on a tape,’ now he can go to the tape, find the plays that we need and use them and create them himself and say, ‘Hey, I did this. What do you think of it?’ ” Bill Belichick said. “That’s where he’s really thinking ahead for you. It’s great to see that and great to be able to experience it first-hand with him.”

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20151003/SPORTS/151009716

Excellent. Thanks, Roberto.

Back