Stidham to Raiders

I don't think you understand the purpose of drafting a backup QB. Or you are trying way too hard to turn every bit of news into a criticism of BB.

First round = looking for a franchise QB. These should start within the first two years.

Late rounds = developmental QB, a flyer if you will that rarely work out but sometimes do (Brady/Cassel for example).

Middle rounds = someone likely to be better than a late round pick when you don't have a real legitimate backup QB. Stidham/Zappe/O'Connell). These are probably not starter material but are there only should the starting QB go down mid-season. Best case scenario is they never play.

Disastrous? How is Stidham different from other mid-round picks drafted as backups but never used. I looked it up. In 2019 five QBs were drafted in rounds 3-4-5: Will Grier in the 3rd, Ryan Finley and Stidham in the 4th, and Easton Stick and Clayton Thorston in the 5th. None played. None were wasted picks. The were backups. Bailey Zappe is now our backup. I hope he never plays, either.

To my knowledge, none of the five backups played, and none caused a disaster for the Panthers, Bengals, Patriots, Chargers, or Eagles.

You really ought to let this go. You used to be a great poster, and I don't believe you are stupid or clueless like Grogan or DropKickFlutie, both of whom I returned to IGNORE two days after I removed everyone from the list, Like them I do believe you are trolling for effect, not to add for discussion, but rather to simply trying to annoy people. A diversion, you called it in a recent post of yours. Sad. Now I have the Tiresome Trio back on ignore and the Planet is instantly a better place for me.
Excellent. Of no use, of course, but excellent nevertheless.

Cheers

And the Raiders release Garrett Gilbert.

Stidham was worth the pick at the time, the physically ability was there, the ceiling looked high but it didn't work out. The door was wide open for him to compete for the starting job and he blew it or simply just wasn't good enough. It's good BB got at least something for him while freeing up some cap.

Good for Stidham I guess but what a disastrous pick.
Come on, I've been critical as anyone of some of Bill's draft picks and moves, but to call this a disastrous pick? Pure hyperbole, a 4th round pick is in most cases a developmental pick, less than 50% of 4th round picks will be in the league more than 3 years. Many here lable you a troll for this kind of thing, it doesn't lend to reasoned debate or critical discussion. I would argue that there has never been a disastrous 4th round pick, the stakes just aren't high enough.

Come on, I've been critical as anyone of some of Bill's draft picks and moves, but to call this a disastrous pick? Pure hyperbole, a 4th round pick is in most cases a developmental pick, less than 50% of 4th round picks will be in the league more than 3 years. Many here lable you a troll for this kind of thing, it doesn't lend to reasoned debate or critical discussion. I would argue that there has never been a disastrous 4th round pick, the stakes just aren't high enough.
It is definitely a "disastrous" pick if your lack of knowledge about draft picks prevents you from differentiating between a first rounder and a fourth rounder. A draft pick is a draft pick...😉

Last edited:
Stidham was worth the pick at the time, the physically ability was there, the ceiling looked high but it didn't work out. The door was wide open for him to compete for the starting job and he blew it or simply just wasn't good enough. It's good BB got at least something for him while freeing up some cap.
I think there's a chance he could still develop into something substantial, just wasn't going to happen here. He seemed to run into some bad luck and bad timing here, but I liked him.

Dare I say that this was the trajectory of TFB had Bledsoe performed to his contract.
Though there has always been talk that Bill was not happy with Bledsoe's game from the beginning and was contemplating moving on if possible. I don't know it that's T or F, but Mo Lewis indeed made it possible.

Though there has always been talk that Bill was not happy with Bledsoe's game from the beginning and was contemplating moving on if possible. I don't know it that's T or F, but Mo Lewis indeed made it possible.
I've heard that as well, but it was Belichick at the wheel when they gave Drew a contract that was, at the time, the richest in NFL history in absolute terms.

He was picked as the successor to Brady. At least that is what we were told in 2020 until Bill grabbed Newton off the scrap heap in late June and then when Newton was playing terrible, Stidham was never inserted because Bill said awful Newton gave the team the best chance to win. You can define disaster as you wish but that is a disaster as the guy never played a meaningful game and was forever injured despite not playing. Then Bill gets a 6/7 for him. This result is what forced Bill to use a 4th this year on a back up when the team desperately needed help to fill a ton of holes. Sorry but that is a disaster anyway you slice it. Certainly not as a big of a disaster as Harry but nonetheless a disaster at the most important position.

Last edited:
He was picked as the successor to Brady. At least that is what we were told in 2020 until Bill grabbed Newton off the scrap heap in late June and then when Newton was playing terrible, Stidham was never inserted because Bill said awful Newton gave the team the best chance to win. You can define disaster as you wish but that is a disaster as the guy never played a meaningful game and was forever injured despite not playing. Then Bill gets a 6/7 for him. This result is what forced Bill to use a 4th this year on a back up when the team desperately needed help to fill a ton of holes. Sorry but that is a disaster anyway you slice it. Certainly not as a big of a disaster as Harry but nonetheless a disaster at the most important position.

Jesus Christ you fail at the logic game.

Who declared him the successor of Brady?

Who in the Patriots organization said he was Brady’s successor ?

Oh, that’s right, you troll, NO ONE.

You’ve got this screw loose in your brain where you interpret what the media says as fact. Not speculation.

Please. Just leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My sieve mind needs help. can I have a link to that?

Cheers
Everyone assumed he would be the Starter. BB didn't draft a QB in 2020. It wasn't until a couple weeks before TC. BB signed Newton to be starter. Stidham was out with a Hip injury in TC.

Everyone assumed he would be the Starter. BB didn't draft a QB in 2020. It wasn't until a couple weeks before TC. BB signed Newton to be the Starter. While stid was out with a hip injury .
OK. But who, from the team stated he was Tom's successor?

:dith::dith::dith::dith::dith::dith::dith:

Someone needs to create a Mazz smiley or lets re-name this one.

A bad pick for a back up QB really can't be a disaster. You have to claim he was a starter pick to get away with shit like that.

Cheers

If Belichick put ketchup on his scrambled eggs it would be a disaster to Mazz.

We need to get back to the subject of this thread.

Starting to see why many here believe you're a troll. It's one thing to be critical of Bill's decisions but something else entirely to create such a ridiculous narrative just to try and prove Bill is a awful GM because that's what you want to prove. Did you ever think that the simple reason Bill said Cam gave the team the best chance to win is because Cam gave the team the best chance to win? Look I disagree with alot of what Bill did in how he handled Brady at the end but you act like he's hiding in some corner twisting his mustache thinking about how he's going to screw the team next.

Back