Technical Assistance

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
Hello Planeteers!

So, it seems that somehow I fried the motherboard in my PC. What do I have to know regarding replacing it? I know it is an Intel B360 with an I5 chip, that's about all I know offhand, I will have to check the actual model # later. It takes DDR4 RAM, if that's important.

A few questions;

1) If I want to upgrade the motherboard, how do I know whether the ports will be placed the same as the original? Is there some kind of compatibility code that I can look for?

2) Do I have to get a new CPU also, or can I just transfer my old CPU to the new board?

3) If get a new board and new CPU to higher specs, do I have to worry about the GPU compatibility?

4) Someone told me that I have to get a new copy of Windows if I change the motherboard, is that true? If so, will that impact the information on my Hard Drive in any way?

5) If I upgrade the motherboard and CPU, do I have to worry about the power supply?

Obviously, this is something I've never done, but I bought a PC specifically so that I could upgrade it over time, and ditched my old laptop. I just didn't expect the motherboard to die so I never learned how to do it.

Hello Planeteers!

So, it seems that somehow I fried the motherboard in my PC. What do I have to know regarding replacing it? I know it is an Intel B360 with an I5 chip, that's about all I know offhand, I will have to check the actual model # later. It takes DDR4 RAM, if that's important.

A few questions;

1) If I want to upgrade the motherboard, how do I know whether the ports will be placed the same as the original? Is there some kind of compatibility code that I can look for? Usually desktop cases are designed to be compatible with many boards and configurations.

2) Do I have to get a new CPU also, or can I just transfer my old CPU to the new board? Depends on what fried your MB. You will have to try it to see. Make sure you tel the shop you buy from what CPU you want to install on the MB.

3) If get a new board and new CPU to higher specs, do I have to worry about the GPU compatibility? Generally not unless you are running a super fast gaming rig.

4) Someone told me that I have to get a new copy of Windows if I change the motherboard, is that true? If so, will that impact the information on my Hard Drive in any way? Your current Windows license should just transfer. How did you get the current version?

5) If I upgrade the motherboard and CPU, do I have to worry about the power supply? Generally not unless you are running a super fast gaming rig.

Obviously, this is something I've never done, but I bought a PC specifically so that I could upgrade it over time, and ditched my old laptop. I just didn't expect the motherboard to die so I never learned how to do it.

OK, a couple of things.

My PC;

CyberpowerPC Gamer Xtreme VR Gaming PC, Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB, 8GB DDR4, 240GB SSD, 1TB HDD, WiFi Ready & Win 10 Home (GXiVR8060A8, Black)​

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VGJDKZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought it with Windows installed, no idea what my license code is.

not sure if this qualifies as a "super fast gaming rig", just an average rig, I think. I upgraded the RAM, of course, to 32GB. That part is easy, but I have never changed any components before.

I am just trying to figure out if it is worth fixing, really.

I figure if I am going to dump money into fixing it, I may as well upgrade it, or just buy a better system.

I went the opposite way. I always used to have towers but they take up so much room and I really don't use a computer for anything except surfing and paying bills so I went laptop all the way so even though I'm an electronic technician by trade I am way out of the loop on newer computers and the hardware compatibilities therein. I never got into gaming on computers and have always been a console guy even though I know PC's are really the way to go. I like the simplicity of turning the PS5 and being off and running. Basically a long post saying sorry I can't help you.

I bought it with Windows installed, no idea what my license code is. Check all over the case itself for a sticker or in the purchase documents. Somewhere there is a license code of 16 digits in 4 digit increments, hyphenated.

not sure if this qualifies as a "super fast gaming rig", just an average rig, I think. I upgraded the RAM, of course, to 32GB. That part is easy, but I have never changed any components before. Also in your documentation is the power supply info and what it can put out. Looking at what you have there, unless you plan to start playing super competitive online gaming sites and/or mining crypto I would have a shop install a new board. If they charge you $50 to do it and it comes back to you running it is worth it. Buy the board from them and they may install it for free or for a small fee. This is what I would do based on what you have shared so far. I would have the shop check the power supply as well. They are cheap and you want to rule it out as the cost of board failure.

There are way smarter people on here and if any of them tell you different - listen to them.

I went the opposite way. I always used to have towers but they take up so much room and I really don't use a computer for anything except surfing and paying bills so I went laptop all the way so even though I'm an electronic technician by trade I am way out of the loop on newer computers and the hardware compatibilities therein. I never got into gaming on computers and have always been a console guy even though I know PC's are really the way to go. I like the simplicity of turning the PS5 and being off and running. Basically a long post saying sorry I can't help you.

I'm actually considering going X-Box. It will be my first console since Super Nintendo if I do.

My questions here are part of my decision process, trying to figure out my options.

I'm actually considering going X-Box. It will be my first console since Super Nintendo if I do.

My questions here are part of my decision process, trying to figure out my options.
Either way you'll be good. It comes down to the exclusive titles and which ones you want to play. Both units are capable of phenomenal graphics. I've just always had a Playstation since I traded in my Sega Genesis when the original Playstation came out.

Hello Planeteers!

Why do you think the mobo is fried?
A few questions;

1) If I want to upgrade the motherboard, how do I know whether the ports will be placed the same as the original? Is there some kind of compatibility code that I can look for? If you mean ports on the back I/O panel, they will likely be somewhat different, but that shouldn't matter, unless you need an unusual amount of ports. If you're talking about headers for fans, drives, etc., you'll have to dig into the specs/pics for the replacement mobo

2) Do I have to get a new CPU also, or can I just transfer my old CPU to the new board? You can definitely use the same CPU but buy some thermal compound. After removing the CPU from the old, wipe off all the thermal compound as much as possible(isopropyl alcohol works well) from both the CPU and Heatsink, then re-apply in the middle of the CPU with a rice sized amount.

3) If get a new board and new CPU to higher specs, do I have to worry about the GPU compatibility? The mobo needs to have a PCI Express 3.0 slot for the GPU but that's pretty standard

4) Someone told me that I have to get a new copy of Windows if I change the motherboard, is that true? If the CyberPower came with an OEM copy(this is likely) you will need to buy a new copy, they only work(legally) with the mobo used at the time of install. If so, will that impact the information on my Hard Drive in any way? According to those specs on Amazon the PC came with an SSD(where Windows is installed) and a 1TB HDD. As long as you stored all your files on the HDD you will not lose any files like pics, docs, etc.(if you want to be safe don't even connect the HDD until after you've installed Windows). Any non-standalone applications will need to be reinstalled though, no matter which drive they were installed on.

5) If I upgrade the motherboard and CPU, do I have to worry about the power supply? Nope, your PSU is ATX and the mobo you buy will also be ATX

Obviously, this is something I've never done, but I bought a PC specifically so that I could upgrade it over time, and ditched my old laptop. I just didn't expect the motherboard to die so I never learned how to do it. Honestly, next time you buy a new PC built it from scratch yourself. That's the best way to future proof for upgrading

Anything in the below lists should work. The first one has the same exact B360 chipset that your Cyberpower uses, which honestly isn't very good. You should be able to use any Socket LGA1151 and 300 Series chipset. So instead of a B360 chipset you could go with with a Z390 which allows for faster RAM and has OC features. Whichever mobo you choose you also want to make sure your existing Memory sticks are compatible. Every mobo and memory manufacturer has a compatibility list you can use to cross check.

B360 chipset

Z390 chipset

Also you can use pcpartpicker.com, that does a decent job of cross checking compatibility as you enter each component, and will give you price compares too.

Last edited:
When I power it up, the fans and RGB lights all work, but there is no signal to my monitor, and when I hit Capslock or NUMlock on the keyboard, nothing registers on the keyboard. I believe that means a fried Motherboard, yes?

That is tremendously helpful, thank you jayShomp! :thumb:

When I power it up, the fans and RGB lights all work, but there is no signal to my monitor, and when I hit Capslock or NUMlock on the keyboard, nothing registers on the keyboard. I believe that means a fried Motherboard, yes?
I mean it probably is a mobo issue but it could faulty hardware or a PSU issue too. Any beeps when you first turn it on? Also try unplugging the PC completely, flip the switch on the PSU itself to Off, wait like 5 min, plug it back in, flip switch to On, turn on the PC. Long shot but I had a Corsair PSU once that made me have to do that sometimes with similar symptoms to yours.

I mean it probably is a mobo issue but it could faulty hardware or a PSU issue too. Any beeps when you first turn it on? Also try unplugging the PC completely, flip the switch on the PSU itself to Off, wait like 5 min, plug it back in, flip switch to On, turn on the PC. Long shot but I had a Corsair PSU once that made me have to do that sometimes with similar symptoms to yours.

I'll try that. What the Hell. Thanks again, brother! :thumb:

Back