TERM LIMITS Yea or Nay?

Do you support term limits for US and state elected offices?

• Yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
We were at a friends last night watching Brady/Bucs and the conversation turned to politics (imagine that). Sitting in the basement were:

Global Account Manager (me)
Special Ed Teacher (the boss)
Occupational Therapist
Construction Manager
Healthcare Office Manager
Middle School Math Teacher/Varsity Head FB Coach
Retired IT/Acct. Manager
Hospitality Sales Executive

I took the time to list the occupations because I wanted to show the diversity of education types. There is something to be said for the fact that we all hang out together meaning we are of similar minds on a lot of things (human nature), but trust me when it comes to politics we are sometimes not.

On the subject of term limits we started off 5-3 in favor and a couple of hours (and a few drinks) later of on again/off again discussion we ended up 7-1 for term limits. The lone hold out being Jeff (construction manager, union guy, Canadian national).

I support term limits fervently. What about you? Vote and walk away. Vote and make your case. Vote and then debate.

Vote.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
Voted Yes. But sure w/regards to federal but not really sure that that I have or should have voice re states.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
Voted Yes. But sure w/regards to federal but not really sure that that I have or should have voice re states.
Good point. Maybe I should have worded it "Do you support term limits for US and your state elected offices?

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
We have term limits here in Michigan. It gets abused a bit as politicians bounce around to different positions in order to stay on the public dole. We need to address it.

Coltsfan2theend

Custom Titles, we don't need no custom titles
Reaction score
Yes. All the way.

Congress should be enough but not too much. 12-15 years maximum. Now, after they are out of office, I'm not opposed to letting them run again either.

Supreme Court should have limits also. 15-20 years and after 10, it should be on the ballot on if someone should stay on the bench.

foobahl

Reaction score
Good point. Maybe I should have worded it "Do you support term limits for US and your state elected offices?
I would think that goes without saying. I got no business telling other states what they should do. In another thread, I was wondering if we could bind a rep or sen to vote for/against term limits in federal legislation. I think we should be able to.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I would think that goes without saying. I got no business telling other states what they should do. In another thread, I was wondering if we could bind a rep or sen to vote for/against term limits in federal legislation. I think we should be able to.
I like your thought but I'm unsure how we could do that. We need to vote for people that agree on term limits and I think we also need to remove some of the built-in advantages that incumbents enjoy such as free postage and other items abused by them.

johnlocke

Reaction score
My dad was always against term limits as the will of the people should determine who represents them and you can always vote shits out. I still lean that way but understand the argument for them.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
My dad was always against term limits as the will of the people should determine who represents them and you can always vote shits out. I still lean that way but understand the argument for them.
In a perfect world your dad was correct. Unfortunately, we (humans) can't be trusted to do what's is the best interest of the country. The only way to ensure people serve the country rather that themselves is to make the service in DC and state governments is temporary enough that they can't enrich themselves.

johnlocke

Reaction score
In a perfect world your dad was correct. Unfortunately, we (humans) can't be trusted to do what's is the best interest of the country. The only way to ensure people serve the country rather that themselves is to make the service in DC and state governments is temporary enough that they can't enrich themselves.

I actually think the issue is the cronyism made possible by epic levels of regulation, causing the need for epic levels of lobbyists that are needed to overcome such things for business.

End cronyism and adopt laisse Faire Capitalism, free markets unfettered by government and all this stuff falls away naturally.

I am not a believer that humanity is inherently bad.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
I actually think the issue is the cronyism made possible by epic levels of regulation, causing the need for epic levels of lobbyists that are needed to overcome such things for business.

End cronyism and adopt laisse Faire Capitalism, free markets unfettered by government and all this stuff falls away naturally.

Not necessarily bad, weak.

Beaglebay

Houndsight is 20/20
Reaction score
Website
www.tanjantstudios.com

Herbert Hoover says, "Hi!"

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score

Grandmaster B

Reaction score
No.

Where term limits have been instituted, they increase the power of the executive branch, they increase the power of lobbyists.

We already have proper term limits. They're called elections.

OP
aloyouis

aloyouis

at least generally aware
Reaction score
No.

Where term limits have been instituted, they increase the power of the executive branch, they increase the power of lobbyists.

Executive branch is term limited already. Term limiting Legislative branch evens things up and lessons the often useless lame duck sessions. WRT lobbyists, they make their hay with LONG TERM easily influenced politicians. Short term citizen representatives will be less likely to be influenced.

Good grief, lobbyists control too much now BECAUSE there are no term limits.

PatsFan09

Done. And. Done.
Reaction score
No.

Are these just at the state level ? Or do those states’ term limits refer to federal?
Because Pelosi has far exceeded California’s term limit.

Edit: Pffft. These are states with state term limits. Who gives a flying...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro