Thank you to Ivan Fears, Patriots Legend!

Roberto71

Reaction score
Thought I'd give him a shout out. He's been here longer than Bill, started coaching the receivers in 91, left for the Bears for a short time and then returned in 99.

A key part of the Patriots success, his popularity in the locker room is immense. It sounds like he's retiring, so the best of luck to him if he does and sincere thanks from all Patriot fans. He has 6 SB rings to remember.

Bill on Ivan.
“Ivan’s meant a lot,” head coach Bill Belichick said. “He really is the ultimate team player. One of the most unselfish people I’ve ever known, works very hard, is totally committed to the team, loves football, loves coaching football, loves being a part of the team and helping the team in any way. … He’s been a great friend, great coach, great part of this organization, and had a lot to do with our success.”

Tom Brady:
“Ivan is an amazing coach and an amazing mentor,” Brady told The Providence Journal. “Ivan always had his players prepared — running backs or receivers — for what they were going to be asked to do in the game. He provided amazing leadership and energy. Ivan’s heart and soul are what make him. Not only is he a great coach, but the enthusiasm — always giving him a big hug after every game, after every big moment — meant so much to all of us.

“He’s a treasure — an amazing man, an amazing coach. I can’t say enough good things about what he’s meant to me and my career. All of the incredible teams that he’s been a part of wouldn’t have been the way they were if it wasn’t for Ivan.”

Steve and Brian Belichick
“Always look to Ives for really overall advice," Steve Belichick said. "How to handle a room. How to deal with different types of guys. . ... Very, very intense person as far as passion for football. But me and Ives go way back to probably my middle school or high school days. He's always been a person I've been able to lean on.”

“In particular for me and Steve that have kind of grown up here over the years," Brian Belichick said, "he's been one of the constant inspirations for us — someone who brings great energy all the time, especially interacting with the players and motivating them. And motivating the other coaches, especially us young guys coming up. He's a great, passionate man who's been inspiring throughout my life coming up here.”

Josh
“He’s beloved,” McDaniels said. “He’s certainly impacted me in my career and my life significantly with how unselfishly he’s been with his time, his experiences. ... Hugely important to our success and a critical relationship to all of us. He’s a dear friend to me.”

FAYvMqfVIAQPXRR

R3DZSLNGLJGEXI2ER3U6BAS6TE.jpeg

One hallmark of Ivan's tenure here is when he takes a kid who was a pure running back in college and teaches him
how to be a pro, most notably how to pass block. I'd point to Kevin Faulk, Shane Vereen and James White as 3
examples of guys that couldn't block a lick until Fears taught them.

Remember the tough love Ivan gave Rhamondre this year? You can bet Stevenson will show up for
camp in better shape because he won't want to hear that again.

As long as he is coaching we'll never have a one-trick pony at RB.

I wonder if besides his coaching expertise, he had input into the draft? i'm guessing they would want his opinion. i think sometimes we forget that personnel evaluation aspect when we lose great coaches.

One hallmark of Ivan's tenure here is when he takes a kid who was a pure running back in college and teaches him
how to be a pro, most notably how to pass block. I'd point to Kevin Faulk, Shane Vereen and James White as 3
examples of guys that couldn't block a lick until Fears taught them.

Remember the tough love Ivan gave Rhamondre this year? You can bet Stevenson will show up for
camp in better shape because he won't want to hear that again.

As long as he is coaching we'll never have a one-trick pony at RB.
God, remember Kevin Faulk at first trying to block?

Maroney too for that matter. Turned him into 'at least he's not a liability"

remember faulk trying to be a regular rb but fumbling like a mofo? used to wince when i saw him carrying. with faulk's hard work, attitude and fears' coaching he turned into a good rb who was awesome on 3rd down, receiving and pass pro.

It does seem as if he's retiring. A big loss for the team if so. Ivan Fears also struck me as a guy worthy of his name if you messed up, but he was also a teacher who made a big impact on his players personally and professionally. :cheerful: :patslogo26: :cheerful:

Yes, I do remember. Kevin wasn't a tall guy. I think he was like 5'8" and looked like he'd never blocked anybody
in his life. He's the most extreme example I can think of a blocker from where he started to where he ended up -- he was death
to blitzers later in his career and excelled at pinwheeling guys by cutting them low.

Faulk seemed like he got 5% better at everything every season for about 10 years. He was the best guy at finding the sticks
we ever had, but he's remembered for the one time he didn't, which is a shame. I went to his red jacket ceremony, which I've only
done a couple of times and Belichick's speech was superb. They always are when he gets a chance to tell somebody what he really
thought about them all those years.

I'd like to know more about Ivan Fears. He's great to listen to, but hardly ever speaks in public. He's a phenomenal coach, but his
absolute forte is teaching running backs how to pass block.

We had him longer than we had any right to have him. If he does retire, thank you sir, for all your hard work.
He is a coach I would have loved to play for in any sport. Loved the way he spoke about his players and his motivation. Class act. I will miss him.

Go somewhere and have an umbrella cocktail on me!

Cheers, Be well, Thank you

And nota Bene, Mazz

Mods, if true, you may as well merge this thread with the earlier one below. Lots of good tributes there.

Back