The 2017 NFL Draft

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
With no blue chip QB prospects in this draft who will the Browns select with what will probably be the 1st pick in the draft?

Schefter thinks he has the answer - edge player 6'5" 280lb Myles Garrett

Browns have 'astronomical grade' on Texas A&M's Myles Garrett, per source

As the 0-12 Cleveland Browns get closer to clinching the No. 1 overall draft pick, there is a real chance that the team will not use its top selection on a quarterback.
The Browns have what one source close to the situation described as an "astronomical grade" on Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett, a blue-chip prospect who could dramatically upgrade Cleveland's defense. The Browns are enamored with Garrett, according to the source.
Taking Garrett could upgrade the defense but also would likely deny the Browns the chance to take the top-rated quarterback in the draft. But Cleveland is doing its due diligence in scouting quarterbacks. Browns scout Lake Dawson, who once starred at Notre Dame, has spent an inordinate amount of time in South Bend scouting Fighting Irish quarterback DeShone Kizer, according to a school source. Many expect Kizer, a junior, to announce he will turn pro as soon as this week.
The Browns could also look to address the quarterback position through a trade, as some believe they will make a run at New England Patriots quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo after the season. The Browns and Patriots have been trade partners twice this season.
Even if the Browns go with Garrett with their No. 1 selection, Cleveland still has an extra first-round draft pick, compliments of the Philadelphia Eagles, to pursue the quarterback it wants.
The Browns lead the San Francisco 49ers (1-11) in the race to the first overall pick.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...myles-garrett-texas-aggies-possible-no-1-pick

Bleacher Report agrees Myles Garrett is the best defender in college football.

What makes Garrett so special?
From a technique standpoint, his size and speed are a dangerous combination. Garrett, whom scouts measured at 278 pounds this summer, has ideal length on a 6'5" frame and can match his speed with power. And one scout I spoke with thought Garrett could easily gain weight to play at 290 pounds without sacrificing flexibility or power.
Garrett is an athletic marvel, but one of the standout aspects of his game has been his consistent improvement at Texas A&M. Many top-ranked high school players arrive on campus with a spotlight on them and never develop football skills. Garrett has been the opposite, staying off Twitter and instead focusing on refining his talent on the field. In 2016, he is showing a much better bull rush and starting to shake off blockers' hands with his hump move.
As a raw athlete, Garrett can do it all. He’s expected to run in the 4.5-second range at the NFL Scouting Combine (per a scout who saw him running this summer) and jump in the 11-foot range in the broad jump. Those numbers would put Garrett in Clowney’s neighborhood as one of the freakiest athletes of the last decade.
NFL scouts also love to look at a player’s family to see if there is a history of athleticism. Garrett’s brother, Sean Williams, has played in the NBA and in Europe, and his sister, Brea Garrett, is a former NCAA champion thrower for the Texas A&M track team. Those bloodlines will have evaluators even more convinced they are getting a world-class athlete.
hi-res-8aca638f35fdb1cff8d7b6ee9c440e8e_crop_exact.jpg
Sam Craft/Associated Press/Associated Press

There is no easy NFL comparison for Garrett. Some may go with Kearse or Julius Peppers, but Garrett is bigger than Kearse (6'4") and has a higher motor than Peppers. He’s definitely not former Aggie Von Miller, but that’s the type of impact he could have as a pass-rusher in a scheme that allows him to go after the quarterback consistently.
Garrett’s upside is unmatched in college football right now. As a true junior and only 20 years old, his remaining ability to grow and develop should have every general manager in the league standing up on the table trying to get Garrett on his team.

No one in college football is as dominant or talented as Texas A&M’s Myles Garrett.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2670346-myles-garrett-is-2017-nfl-drafts-slam-dunk-prospect

This may be just what BB ordered...a high draft projection who falls to us bc of injury.

Reuben Foster out of combine after shoulder surgery

Posted by Josh Alper on February 13, 2017, 11:43 AM EST
504628866-e1487004180654.jpg
Getty ImagesAlabama has produced several highly drafted linebackers in recent years and Reuben Foster looks like he’s on track to join the likes of C.J. Mosley, Reggie Ragland and Dont’a Hightower in 2017.
Foster will have to convince teams that he’ll make a full recovery from rotator cuff surgery, however. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Foster recently had surgery to repair the injury to his right shoulder.
Foster will not be taking part in drills at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis as a result of the surgery, but that he will meet with teams for interviews during the event. Caplan pegs his recovery timeline at four months, which would leave him ready for training camp if not the tail end of the offseason program.

This is who I want.

XT1LUy8.png

Unfortunately most of the mocks actually have him going to us so there's no chance.

Someone on the NFL Network (Daniel Jeremiah I think) has Jabrill Peppers mocked to the Pats with the 32nd pick. IDK, safety doesn't seem to be as big a need as LB or Edge or even CB.

Maybe MD can tell us some more about Peppers.

From. Eeyore's perspective, the pats talked a lot about an improved running game. There were times just getting the tough one yard game would have helped.

Whether that is a conversion to bigger OLmen or a change in RB, that's something I'll watch for.

From. Eeyore's perspective, the pats talked a lot about an improved running game. There were times just getting the tough one yard game would have helped.

Whether that is a conversion to bigger OLmen or a change in RB, that's something I'll watch for.

I don't know if it'll be through the draft or FA, but I'll be surprised if the Pats don't acquire a young TE that can block and hopefully do more.

I'm sure the organization knows that Gronk cannot be counted on and Bennett might not be back. We definitely need some healthy bodies at that position.

I don't know if it'll be through the draft or FA, but I'll be surprised if the Pats don't acquire a young TE that can block and hopefully do more.

I'm sure the organization knows that Gronk cannot be counted on and Bennett might not be back. We definitely need some healthy bodies at that position.

Am thinking similarly. Tea leaves show they like big TEs.

On that subject was watching a bunch of videos on TEs on one of the draft sites and found myself asking "what are you doing" in that a lot of times the player didn't block anyone., didn't do much of anything :shrug_n:

Gives me an excuse to watch more football...

Someone on the NFL Network (Daniel Jeremiah I think) has Jabrill Peppers mocked to the Pats with the 32nd pick. IDK, safety doesn't seem to be as big a need as LB or Edge or even CB.

Maybe MD can tell us some more about Peppers.

Jourdan Lewis would be better than Peppers for the Pats. CB is more of a need and Lewis was the best cover CB in the nation. He's getting overlooked because of size, but he has 1st round talent.

Peppers was great for Michigan, but he does tend to struggle in coverage a bit. He's absolutely great in run support and blitzing, but the coverage will need work at the next level. He has all the physical capabilities to put it all together. He's also an outstanding returner.

Taco Charlton will go too early, but he'd be a perfect fit on the edge for the Pats. Quick, long arms, good in run support, and an explosive pass rusher. Needs to work on getting off quicker on the snap count, but he's a beast.

Shaq Mason isn't the player I thought he'd be. He is serviceable but he's the weak link of our OL imo. I wouldn't be surprised if BB fortified the Guard position.

Jourdan Lewis would be better than Peppers for the Pats. CB is more of a need and Lewis was the best cover CB in the nation. He's getting overlooked because of size, but he has 1st round talent.

Peppers was great for Michigan, but he does tend to struggle in coverage a bit. He's absolutely great in run support and blitzing, but the coverage will need work at the next level. He has all the physical capabilities to put it all together. He's also an outstanding returner.

Taco Charlton will go too early, but he'd be a perfect fit on the edge for the Pats. Quick, long arms, good in run support, and an explosive pass rusher. Needs to work on getting off quicker on the snap count, but he's a beast.

His versatility would place him higher on BB's board, IMO.

Agreed.

Here's Mayock's Top 5 at each position. (Have to start somewhere)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...rankings?campaign=tw-cf-sf56140990-sf56140990

And here's the NFL mock draft.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/mock-drafts?icampaign=draft-sub_nav_bar-drafteventpage-mockdraft

2 mocks for Peppers at 32
2 mocks for a TE at 32. OJHoward Bama, YES! David Njoku Miami, idk

Shaq Mason isn't the player I thought he'd be. He is serviceable but he's the weak link of our OL imo. I wouldn't be surprised if BB fortified the Guard position.

I think Andrews is the weak link, if anyone.

I'm not going to overreact to Mason getting destroyed by Grady Jarrett the way he did, because while he has gotten beat numerous times, I've never seen anybody just run right over the top of him like he was a speed bump.

Even the best players just have horrible games due to style matchups. Like how Matt Light snuffed Dwight Freeney every time but couldn't block Aaron Schobel with a chair and a whip. Or Jason Taylor. Light was still an excellent LT.

Maybe Jarrett is just better than anybody realizes. Or is juicing his ass off, because he went from who? to beast pretty damn fast.

Mason had a pretty good year, but a terrible Super Bowl. I'll concede that.

If we're going to draft OL, then I'd like to see them bring in a tackle to upgrade the job currently held by Fleming.

Then again, after seeing Marcus Cannon crawl out of his grave and play a dozen times better than he ever did I'm not putting anything past Dante. Whatever he thinks works for me.

I think Andrews is the weak link, if anyone.

I'm not going to overreact to Mason getting destroyed by Grady Jarrett the way he did, because while he has gotten beat numerous times, I've never seen anybody just run right over the top of him like he was a speed bump.

Even the best players just have horrible games due to style matchups. Like how Matt Light snuffed Dwight Freeney every time but couldn't block Aaron Schobel with a chair and a whip. Or Jason Taylor. Light was still an excellent LT.

Maybe Jarrett is just better than anybody realizes. Or is juicing his ass off, because he went from who? to beast pretty damn fast.

Mason had a pretty good year, but a terrible Super Bowl. I'll concede that.

If we're going to draft OL, then I'd like to see them bring in a tackle to upgrade the job currently held by Fleming.

Then again, after seeing Marcus Cannon crawl out of his grave and play a dozen times better than he ever did I'm not putting anything past Dante. Whatever he thinks works for me.

I hope you're right about Mason. Jarrett had his way for sure.
I also hope Tre Jackson can come back and play well.

No thanks on Jabril Peppers. If he fell to the 3rd round (or if the Pats had a gluttony of seconds), I'd look at him there. The kid is not a first round talent considering the needs this team has.

What is the consensus on Cyrus Jones? Much like Dominque Easley's first season as a Patriot, not much to go on. The kid should never be deep on punts or KO. But is he in the mix at CB? Does Ryan become a little more expendable because of Jones?

Cowboys guard Ron Leary didn't give up a sack this yr. He will get interest from multiple teams when free agency starts. I wouldn't mind him leaving the 'Boys for the 9ers.

Can Peppers actually play free safety? I've only seen him play a few snaps and he always lined up inside the tackle box or in the slot. If he's a strong safety only, you're basically picking him to replace Patrick Chung. If he can play free safety, he's your recplacement for Duron Harmon. Harmon only played 48.6% of all defensive snaps last year though.

Back