The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Is he related to Duh Bears HC?
Jim is from Michigan and Matt is from NJ.
I haven't seen anyone refer to them as being related. I've also wondered and searched but found nothing to indicate they are related.

I listened to a lot of NFL radio yesterday on a long drive. There was a lot of Patriot talk, but the most interesting thing to me was
Charlie Weis' assessment of Mac Jones.

The quote is only approximate, but Weis said that the knock on Jones' athleticism is not really valid or relevant and that "You know what I like? I like a guy that can complete passes....
Jones completes 70 to 80 per cent of his throws, threw 41 touchdowns to 4 interceptions and took his team to a National Championship.....that's not too bad".

Charlie is a pretty understated guy not given to hyperbole. He used to be heavily involved in our draft process and seemed very impressed.

Jim Nagy had some similar comments on a Pats Podcast recently with:

"The more I watch Mac, the more I like him," Nagy said. "He took his game to the next level during the College Football Playoff."

Nagy went onto explain that Jones' upside is high despite his lack of athleticism compared to other top quarterbacks in the class. And why is that the case? Because he has played at a high level despite not playing much.

"With Mac, it's the lack of playing experience," Nagy said. "When you look at him, he's still a relatively inexperienced player. His best football is still out ahead of him. The game happens really slow for Mac, which is awesome for a guy that hasn't really played that much, but it's going to slow down even more the more he plays."

Nagy referenced a few current quarterbacks that have found success primarily operating as pocket passers. That included Matthew Stafford and Philip Rivers, but Nagy also compared Jones' pocket presence to that of Tom Brady.

"I'm not trying to say Mac's Tom Brady, but he does have the same sense in the pocket. He has that same feel," Nagy said. "He has that eyes in the back of his head quality where he knows he has to slide or retreat or step up in the pocket and buy himself that little space he needs to get throws off. He does that consistently. You can't teach that."

https://prod-use.perf-serving.com/c...LaICwDw3bzgF2FF5DCPnK-pfSDLiUco8_etkO6H8JG1AQ

I listened to a lot of NFL radio yesterday on a long drive. There was a lot of Patriot talk, but the most interesting thing to me was
Charlie Weis' assessment of Mac Jones.

The quote is only approximate, but Weis said that the knock on Jones' athleticism is not really valid or relevant and that "You know what I like? I like a guy that can complete passes....
Jones completes 70 to 80 per cent of his throws, threw 41 touchdowns to 4 interceptions and took his team to a National Championship.....that's not too bad".

Charlie is a pretty understated guy not given to hyperbole. He used to be heavily involved in our draft process and seemed very impressed.

Jim Nagy had some similar comments on a Pats Podcast recently with:

"The more I watch Mac, the more I like him," Nagy said. "He took his game to the next level during the College Football Playoff."

Nagy went onto explain that Jones' upside is high despite his lack of athleticism compared to other top quarterbacks in the class. And why is that the case? Because he has played at a high level despite not playing much.

"With Mac, it's the lack of playing experience," Nagy said. "When you look at him, he's still a relatively inexperienced player. His best football is still out ahead of him. The game happens really slow for Mac, which is awesome for a guy that hasn't really played that much, but it's going to slow down even more the more he plays."

Nagy referenced a few current quarterbacks that have found success primarily operating as pocket passers. That included Matthew Stafford and Philip Rivers, but Nagy also compared Jones' pocket presence to that of Tom Brady.

"I'm not trying to say Mac's Tom Brady, but he does have the same sense in the pocket. He has that same feel," Nagy said. "He has that eyes in the back of his head quality where he knows he has to slide or retreat or step up in the pocket and buy himself that little space he needs to get throws off. He does that consistently. You can't teach that."

Drivers With No DUIs Pay Less In May

By the time the media and his team mates gets done talking up Mac Jones, he'll be a top 10 pick and out of reach. :coffee:

summary.jpg

Consistent each year
lawrence.jpg

1 great year
wilson.jpg

Pretty darn consistent - Jr yr only played 8 games
fields.jpg

1 reasonably good year. He could be the most overrated of the QBs in this draft. Gamble on that 1 year?
lance.jpg
Following up

3rd string in 2018 behind Tua and Jalen Hurts. Backup to Tua in 2019 but played 4 games when Tua was out; beat 3 ranked teams.
73% comp rate over '19 and '20.
10:1 TD to int ratio in '20.
jones.jpg

Plays his best in big games. He has a shot to be a good NFL QB if he puts in the effort.
trask.jpg

What have you done for me lately
2020.jpg

My personal ranking of the QBs for the Pats is different than the national scouting "experts" rankings.

1.a. Trevor Lawrence (JAX)
1.b. Mac Jones
1.c. Justin Fields
4. Zach Wilson (although there's concern about his "entitled brat" rep)
I'd take any of these 4 with pick 15.

I can also see a day 2 flier on
4. Kyle Trask for his boom-bust potential depending on his personal interview. High ceiling but low floor.
if we don't take Mac Jones.

I wouldn't waste a pick on
-Trey Lance even though he's ranked highly in this draft. He's a Lamar Miller lookalike & isn't for the Pats, imo.
-Jamie Newman or
-Mond.

Being honest with myself, I actually like Mac Jones FOR THE PATS probably more than I like Trevor Lawrence.
Why? Jones is a thinking man's QB, he studies. He's had to battle for playing time with Tua and Hurts. Competitive. Careful with the ball. Highly accurate.
He's at his very best in pressure situations.
Lawrence? His physical gifts are apparent. 2019, hell yeah. 2020? He wilted when things got tough.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Following up

3rd string in 2018 behind Tua and Jalen Hurts. Backup to Tua in 2019 but played 4 games when Tua was out; beat 3 ranked teams.
jones.jpg

Plays his best in big games. He has a shot to be a good NFL QB if he puts in the effort.
trask.jpg

2020.jpg

My personal ranking of the QBs for the Pats is different than the national scouting "experts" rankings.

1.b. Mac Jones
1.c. Justin Fields

4. Kyle Trask for his boom-bust potential depending on his personal interview. High ceiling but low floor.

-Trey Lance even though he's ranked highly in this draft. He's a Lamar Miller lookalike & isn't for the Pats, imo.
-Jamie Newman or
-Mond.

Being honest with myself, I actually like Mac Jones FOR THE PATS probably more than I like Trevor Lawrence.
Why? Jones is a thinking man's QB, he studies. He's had to battle for playing time with Tua and Hurts. Competitive. Careful with the ball. Highly accurate.
Lawrence? His physical gifts are apparent. 2019, hell yeah. 2020? He wilted when things got tough.

What do you think?
I agree that I would take any of the top 4 that you listed. If it came to a choice between Lance and Jones, I would take Jones at 15. But if Jones is gone I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger for Lance.
However Jones has been my guy since November.

Yeah, I'm afraid Mac Jones' stock soared and is probably a top 10 pick unless some dirt is found on him. Having a combine would have probably been good since he's slow and nonathletic... people would be in awe of the big arms and the fast 40s, and his stock would probably fall back down to earth.

I agree that I would take any of the top 4 that you listed. If it came to a choice between Lance and Jones, I would take Jones at 15. But if Jones is gone I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger for Lance.
However Jones has been my guy since November.

That's fair. I think Josh and BB could figure it out for Lance although there would be some inevitable system changes that would come with a running QB.

Yeah, I'm afraid Mac Jones' stock soared and is probably a top 10 pick unless some dirt is found on him. Having a combine would have probably been good since he's slow and nonathletic... people would be in awe of the big arms and the fast 40s, and his stock would probably fall back down to earth.

That is a really good point.

When scouts have to rely on film more than the underwear olympics the guys that are good football players benefit.

Still, the draft stock market isn't even close to being set yet. What seems perfectly plausible in late February becomes heretical
rantings in late April. This happens without fail every.single.spring.

On a related observation, nobody thought that much about Jordan Love as a top QB prospect one year ago today. I'm going on memory here, but don't even
recall him being considered a first round pick. Nonetheless, Green Bay chose him at 26 overall and that pick was widely applauded in the aftermath of
the draft as a brilliant pick for no apparent reason.

I guarantee that there will be a quarterback that nobody is taking seriously right now that rockets up the charts over the next two
months. Even with no Combine happening, somebody will post some trick throws on TikTok or something and the herd will all nod
in compliance. A groundswell of groupthink will start to form.

The insane contracts QBs get after their rookie deal expires dictate that it is a huge financial benefit to clubs that can find
their guy in the late first and get a fifth-year option cheap, so the need is there to manufacture guys that can plausibly fit that bill

While I like Mac Jones and think he's too smart to slip everybody's notice, I hold onto the hope that we can get him to Foxboro
through a series of lucky breaks, nervous owners caving into public pressure and industrious fanboys mining for hits and influencing
pro scouts with cleverly edited Youtube highlight reels backed with incomprehensible rap soundtracks.

Following up

jones.jpg

trask.jpg

2020.jpg

1.b. Mac Jones
1.c. Justin Fields

-Jamie Newman or
-Mond.

What do you think?
Davis Mills (Stanford) might be BB's pick...it wouldn't surprise me.

View: https://twitter.com/ryan_spags/status/1364230293805289475

Davis Mills (Stanford) might be BB's pick...it wouldn't surprise me.

View: https://twitter.com/ryan_spags/status/1364230293805289475

Wouldn't surprise me either in the 5th or 6th round. But BB has some renegade in him when it comes to the draft. He loves being the outlier picking someone nobody saw coming a round or 2 before consensus. Day 2 would surprise me if weren't for that.
Mills may fit - reminds me of Matt Cassel. My concern is that Mills only played in 10 games in college.

View: https://twitter.com/StanfordFball/status/1354534509610323968

He works with Tony Ballard and QB Country school for development.

View: https://twitter.com/Millsions/status/1354796160515510273

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me either in the 5th or 6th round. But BB has some renegade in him when it comes to the draft. He loves being the outlier picking someone nobody saw coming a round or 2 before consensus. Day 2 would surprise me if weren't for that.
Mills may fit - reminds me of Matt Cassel. My concern is that Mills only played in 10 games in college.

View: https://twitter.com/StanfordFball/status/1354534509610323968

He works with Tony Ballard and QB Country school for development.

View: https://twitter.com/Millsions/status/1354796160515510273

Sounds like the guy Hawg was just writing about.

Holy shit, that's a lot of trades. Some of the deals sound implausible, but--- that is why it's a mock.

While Davis Mills is not going to make fans too happy, I really liked the pick of LSU's Tyler Shelvin who could be a force in the IDL. He's
had some problems with academics and discipline so I'm not sure if he'd pass Patriot muster, but he is huge and plays angry.

The guy I have major doubts about is Charles Snowden. Can the Pats trust him to keep his mouth shut?

Seriously, that was an interesting mock.

Back