The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

I also keep going back and forth between a QB and a defensive player in the first round. My head tells me we don't go QB in the first round. Maybe it's because we haven't had to think about that position in 20 years, I honestly don't know. But if we decide to go defense and if he is available, Zaven Collins. There is something about a QB converted to LB that is appealing to me. I think he would be a great addition to our defense.

Tulsa's Zaven Collins can do whatever you need him to. Rush the QB, drop in coverage & stop the run. A speedy chameleon who can impact the game anywhere along the line. He's met/will meet virtually with the Saints, Ravens, Packers, Broncos, Jets, Patriots, Titans, Cardinals & Seahawks.

Another option could be a kid like Trey Lance. He is a big kid who isn't afraid to run. But he seems to be more of the pass first mind set. . My assessment may be wrong about him though. I do know in 2019 he threw for 2,800 yards and 28 TD passes with 0 picks. But he also had 1,100 yards rushing, so my assessment is definitely wrong. lol I will go and stand in the corner now.
I did see some film on Trey Lance from 2019 he was impressive much about him put me in mind of how Justin Herbert looked in 2018. he isn't as big as Herbert but his footwork is better.

I've changed my mind about this WR class as a whole.
It's very top heavy with probably 3 of the best we've seen in a long time but then Tiers 2 & 3 have 6-8 guys then the talent drops quickly primarily bc of route running skills.
It's not as deep as I thought it might be. Slot looks like it has more good choices than X.

I've read the OTs in this class aren't as good as we've seen the last 2 years. Most of these OTs project to OG and only 2-3 look like good LT material.
S is another very shallow class. Hope that doesn't mean BB takes 1 in the 2nd.

DL, however is well stocked with a good one available even on day 3.

You HOPE the coach won't take a safety? I'm worried that if he does I might harm myself.

Interesting thoughts on the WR class, since I'd heard it was supposed to be amazing early on -- not that I get worked up over anything early.

I'm wondering if you've ever watched Simi Fehoko from Stanford.

The reason I ask is that it was a strange year, particularly on the West Coast, as many guys or teams didn't play much. I did watch a great double
OT game late in the season where Stanford beat UCLA 48-47 and Fehoko went crazy. He scored 3 TDs including two in the last few minutes to send
it into OT and another in the 2nd OT. He caught 16 passes for 230 yards and a 14.4 avg and just destroyed the guys in baby blue. I forget who the
analyst was, but he was going ape over Fehoko, who is at least in excellent condition and appeared pretty big.

Anyhow, it was probably just a freak night, but I was wondering if you knew anything about him.

I was watching a piece on NFLN where they were comparing Waddle and Smith. They showed quite a few highlights of each. One thing I noticed was the ball came to them right on the money every time. Didn't matter if they were wide open, covered, coming out of breaks, long or short, the ball was always there right on the money. That has sold me on Jones even more.

You HOPE the coach won't take a safety? I'm worried that if he does I might harm myself.

Interesting thoughts on the WR class, since I'd heard it was supposed to be amazing early on -- not that I get worked up over anything early.

I'm wondering if you've ever watched Simi Fehoko from Stanford.

The reason I ask is that it was a strange year, particularly on the West Coast, as many guys or teams didn't play much. I did watch a great double
OT game late in the season where Stanford beat UCLA 48-47 and Fehoko went crazy. He scored 3 TDs including two in the last few minutes to send
it into OT and another in the 2nd OT. He caught 16 passes for 230 yards and a 14.4 avg and just destroyed the guys in baby blue. I forget who the
analyst was, but he was going ape over Fehoko, who is at least in excellent condition and appeared pretty big.

Anyhow, it was probably just a freak night, but I was wondering if you knew anything about him.

Yes, I've studied him. He has some attributes in his favor but he has more against him.
First he's coming out a year too early - he should have stayed for another year of growth in college. He's not ready for the NFL but he's 23 years old already.

Pros - he's got the size and speed for sure.

Cons - Very raw route runner. He only started 4 games in college with not much production or the desired target share the Pats want (25%). He dropped 10% of his catchable targets. That's unacceptable. He'd have 3 years of hard work to grow into anything other than a decoy. I doubt he's on the Pats' board at all. Maybe as an udfa and a spot on the PS.

The Steelers had a ten year run or so of some great drafting at the WR position.

Yes, I've studied him. He has some attributes in his favor but he has more against him.
First he's coming out a year too early - he should have stayed for another year of growth in college. He's not ready for the NFL but he's 23 years old already.

Cons - Very raw route runner. He only started 4 games in college with not much production or the desired target share the Pats want (25%). He dropped 10% of his catchable targets. That's unacceptable. He'd have 3 years of hard work to grow into anything other than a decoy. I doubt he's on the Pats' board at all. Maybe as an udfa and a spot on the PS.

That makes some sense, thanks. Based on the epic performance I saw I don't know why the Stanford coaches didn't give him a little more action.

I noticed him running quite a few crossers over the middle and he seemed adept at turning the ball upfield quickly and running hard . He made me think of N'Keal in College.

Weirdly, for a guy that piled up 230 yards, he doesn't seem to have the greatest balance. That strikes me as one of Harry's issues as well.

That makes some sense, thanks. Based on the epic performance I saw I don't know why the Stanford coaches didn't give him a little more action.

I noticed him running quite a few crossers over the middle and he seemed adept at turning the ball upfield quickly and running hard . He made me think of N'Keal in College.

Weirdly, for a guy that piled up 230 yards, he doesn't seem to have the greatest balance. That strikes me as one of Harry's issues as well.
Yeah, if we can make it through this draft without a Rutgers DB or a Pac-10 WR, that would be super.

He's 6'4"...he's tall enough.

We have a long way to go before the draft. I have been puzzled by the low rankings on Jones. I've thought that he would be a top 20 pick by April.
Just wait. There only has to be one suitor that loves him to make Jones a 15-or-higher guy. I've got myself properly binkied up by the
dude, but I think he has traits that hold up well under scrutiny and can get folks excited about the kind of offense they can run with
an extremely bright, extremely accurate QB as opposed to a guy that is better when a play breaks down. Maybe if Mac Jones is your
QB-- that play doesn't break down in the first place.

I say this knowing that the NFL is absolutely the most copycat bunch of mofos in the western world. Whatever is hot, whatever just happened
in the past season tends to have a big influence on draft tendencies in the subsequent spring and what just happened was Tom Brady. I'll ask
the question: Which of the top QB prospects is the closest match to Tom Brady? If you answered anybody but Mac Jones then you haven't
been paying attention. I'm not saying he IS Tom Brady, but he is the closest approximation and somebody is going to want that.

I feel secure in saying the experts who have him ranked 33rd or whatever are going to miss the mark by a mile. I also predict he will
be drafted higher than either Justin Fields or Trey Lance, but not both. Call that my Mike Irvinesque "bold draft prediction", but I'll stand on it.

Just wait. There only has to be one suitor that loves him to make Jones a 15-or-higher guy. I've got myself properly binkied up by the
dude, but I think he has traits that hold up well under scrutiny and can get folks excited about the kind of offense they can run with
an extremely bright, extremely accurate QB as opposed to a guy that is better when a play breaks down. Maybe if Mac Jones is your
QB-- that play doesn't break down in the first place.

I say this knowing that the NFL is absolutely the most copycat bunch of mofos in the western world. Whatever is hot, whatever just happened
in the past season tends to have a big influence on draft tendencies in the subsequent spring and what just happened was Tom Brady. I'll ask
the question: Which of the top QB prospects is the closest match to Tom Brady? If you answered anybody but Mac Jones then you haven't
been paying attention. I'm not saying he IS Tom Brady, but he is the closest approximation and somebody is going to want that.

I feel secure in saying the experts who have him ranked 33rd or whatever are going to miss the mark by a mile. I also predict he will
be drafted higher than either Justin Fields or Trey Lance, but not both. Call that my Mike Irvinesque "bold draft prediction", but I'll stand on it.

Yeah just wait. Mac Jones' stock is all over the place but has been trending up for the past 6 weeks. I see Mac Jones as an efficient ball distributor. He has a good enough arm to throw folks open on short to intermediate routes and he's accurate enough to avoid ints very well. He's not a guy who will throw GO routes or deep posts so if that's what you want it's time to move on. If you want a guy who is athletic enough to pull it down to avoid a sack and then throw on the run, he's not your guy there either so move again.

Chris Simms is mostly an idiot but he's predicted the QB rankings of the last 3 drafts pretty damn well. By his admission, he chooses his rankings primarily based on "attributes that are translatable to the NFL" and not on wins or arm strength which he says are big myths overblown by social media.
These are his QB rankings the last 3 drafts. I remember his Lamar Jackson pick for #1 and I laughed at it. Then LJ comes out and plays like a wild man. Josh Allen ahead of Mayfield? Yeah, looks right now, doesn't it.

EvkWUErVEAQNOaI

Ok so where am I going with this?
Here

View: https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1367121407075897346

Anyone want to weigh in on BB's potential interest in Kellen Mond? Asking for a friend who wants to know who BB's outlier QB pick is going to be.

and here - this is absolutely worth a listen
View: https://www.nbcsports.com/video/byus-zach-wilson-clemsons-trevor-lawrence-top-2021-nfl-draft-qb-rankings?ls=pftvod

Last edited:
We can discuss these QB prospects all day but when the dust settles the system they are in, the coaching they get, & the team around them is going to go further than anything else in distinguishing who is better than who amongst the top tier guys. Jones fits the Pats' system best imo

View: https://twitter.com/rslashpatriots/status/1367901486160744450

Last edited:
Back