The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

I'm more familiar with the interior guys right now because I like to watch these guys play full games against good competition and last year was a shitshow for a lot of guys and teams, so --I'm behind the curve at this point.

I've watched Sewell and he is just ridiculously athletic for a guy his size and has zero regard for the guy he's blocking. I've seen him just knock guys senseless and then go looking for another victim, but I haven't seen him face anybody with a hard outside rush yet. I figure he can be trained to do anything at a high level and should be all-pro before long. To me he is the Mekhi Becton of this class and the clear favorite. He plays a little too upright, but it doesn't seem to matter. All the potential in the world, but you have to project a little because his experience level is simply not there. Like a few others.

I'm impressed with Vera-Tucker and think he is a solid 1st rounder, but I like him better as a guard. He's good at everything, but doesn't seem dominant at anything. He seems to be a safe pick and appears to be a mature and motivated kid.

Rashawn Slater seems a little oversold to me and looks quite similar to Vera-Tucker. A solid, competitive, strong guy whose marginal length might signal a move inside. I keep seeing him mocked to the middle of the first round, but I think that is too high.

I'm not impressed with Eichenberg at all and think he gets too much praise because he's a Golden Domer. Definitely a right tackle and should not be taken before day 3. I'm trying to stop comparing guys to others from the same program, because that can be misleading, but he really reminds me of ND's Mike McGlinchey who was way overdrafted by the Niners and was getting destroyed (along with his QBs) on the pass rush last season. Eichenberg can probably play in the NFL, but I would not want him in Foxboro.

Two guys that might outplay their draft slots are Sam Cosmi -- who checks almost every box (unlike most of them he had 34 starts at Texas) and put up freakishly good numbers at his pro day this past week. He doesn't look massive, but plays strong with advanced technique. I don't know why he isn't ranked higher among draft people. This guy has the film and the numbers. The other one is Walker Little of Stanford who didn't play much due to a knee in 2019 and then opted out last season, but Paul Fitzgerald, who is an outstanding OL guru, had high praise for Little stating he could start right away at LT as a rookie and perform very well. Apparently he is one of those relative unknowns that will be a better pro than College player. When Fitzgerald says stuff like that NFL teams should listen.

In general it looks like an unusually deep class (mostly RTs), but Sewell is the only guy I would go out of my way to watch. There will be good players selected on day 3 when in some recent years the well was pretty much dry by then. I would be surprised if the Pats take an OT in the first two days, but expect we'll get one.

I've been keeping a candle burning for Yodny Cajuste since we drafted him, but he's been hurt for two years running. He better get healthy for 2021, but I'm not holding my breath.

Justin Herron would have likely been a rookie redshirt (to add some muscle) in a typical year, but we had to play him before he was really ready. I think he held up pretty well and is an interesting guy with good feet and movement skills but can see a need to continue to develop the pipeline so we never again have to try to run an offense with a Jermaine Eluemunor or Marshall Newhouse taking meaningful snaps. I think Herron is the leader in the clubhouse to be our backup swing T, but has to improve his strength a fair bit. He seems to have everything else to serve that role for now while he gains experience. The way he survived the rookie gauntlet speaks well for his chances to solidify his role.

You provided us with lots of good information there, Hawg. With 2 starters on 1 year contracts (TBrown & Wynn), BB will want someone from this draft to provide depth for next year.
I put the position need on a par with S and just a little behind LB and WR. But then, both of those guys could be back for 2022.

Is Trey Lance everything the media wants us to believe he is? Maybe the media has gone a little overboard with him...

BB never plays guys out of their natural positions. Have a good rest of your day
Whatever a natural position is. I think BB plays guys in the positions in which they can play well, regardless of where they line up. If we have a guy on the roster right now who can play FS at a high level great, but I doubt Kyle Dugger @ 6'2" 220# is going to replace 5'10" 195# FS Devin McCourty. IMO Dugger is great at BB's hybrid SS/LB position and he isn't playing FS or CB anytime soon.

I'm more familiar with the interior guys right now because I like to watch these guys play full games against good competition and last year was a shitshow for a lot of guys and teams, so --I'm behind the curve at this point.

I've watched Sewell and he is just ridiculously athletic for a guy his size and has zero regard for the guy he's blocking. I've seen him just knock guys senseless and then go looking for another victim, but I haven't seen him face anybody with a hard outside rush yet. I figure he can be trained to do anything at a high level and should be all-pro before long. To me he is the Mekhi Becton of this class and the clear favorite. He plays a little too upright, but it doesn't seem to matter. All the potential in the world, but you have to project a little because his experience level is simply not there. Like a few others.

I'm impressed with Vera-Tucker and think he is a solid 1st rounder, but I like him better as a guard. He's good at everything, but doesn't seem dominant at anything. He seems to be a safe pick and appears to be a mature and motivated kid.

Rashawn Slater seems a little oversold to me and looks quite similar to Vera-Tucker. A solid, competitive, strong guy whose marginal length might signal a move inside. I keep seeing him mocked to the middle of the first round, but I think that is too high.

I'm not impressed with Eichenberg at all and think he gets too much praise because he's a Golden Domer. Definitely a right tackle and should not be taken before day 3. I'm trying to stop comparing guys to others from the same program, because that can be misleading, but he really reminds me of ND's Mike McGlinchey who was way overdrafted by the Niners and was getting destroyed (along with his QBs) on the pass rush last season. Eichenberg can probably play in the NFL, but I would not want him in Foxboro.

Two guys that might outplay their draft slots are Sam Cosmi -- who checks almost every box (unlike most of them he had 34 starts at Texas) and put up freakishly good numbers at his pro day this past week. He doesn't look massive, but plays strong with advanced technique. I don't know why he isn't ranked higher among draft people. This guy has the film and the numbers. The other one is Walker Little of Stanford who didn't play much due to a knee in 2019 and then opted out last season, but Paul Fitzgerald, who is an outstanding OL guru, had high praise for Little stating he could start right away at LT as a rookie and perform very well. Apparently he is one of those relative unknowns that will be a better pro than College player. When Fitzgerald says stuff like that NFL teams should listen.

In general it looks like an unusually deep class (mostly RTs), but Sewell is the only guy I would go out of my way to watch. There will be good players selected on day 3 when in some recent years the well was pretty much dry by then. I would be surprised if the Pats take an OT in the first two days, but expect we'll get one.

I've been keeping a candle burning for Yodny Cajuste since we drafted him, but he's been hurt for two years running. He better get healthy for 2021, but I'm not holding my breath.

Justin Herron would have likely been a rookie redshirt (to add some muscle) in a typical year, but we had to play him before he was really ready. I think he held up pretty well and is an interesting guy with good feet and movement skills but can see a need to continue to develop the pipeline so we never again have to try to run an offense with a Jermaine Eluemunor or Marshall Newhouse taking meaningful snaps. I think Herron is the leader in the clubhouse to be our backup swing T, but has to improve his strength a fair bit. He seems to have everything else to serve that role for now while he gains experience. The way he survived the rookie gauntlet speaks well for his chances to solidify his role.
In the draft I like Trey Hill of GA in the 4th round. He can play both C and G. He would give us a strong backup for the first year or two with starter potential.

Who replaces Devin McCourty when he retires?
We absolutely need to draft FS this year. I wish we took Winfield instead of the Bucs last year. That guy is a stud.

Thanks, guys. Since I posted that I ran across an excellent, detailed breakdown of Penei Sewell (and general OL play) that illustrates why he is such a standout. In general you have guys that either can't play or those that can but whose influence is limited by how much space they can control or perform in. You've heard that a guy is "good in a phone booth" and that is generally your bigger guys who aren't great athletes. Then, you've got guys that can get to the 2nd level and hit a guy in space, which is what you want to get on your side and then you have the exceptional guys like Sewell.

It's a long clip, but a particularly interesting segment comes after the 1:20 mark where they show three different examples of what Oregon did with Penei on screen plays and why he is a rare talent even if he is still figuring the game out. This sort of play is what we have done a lot of in Foxboro over the years and I can't tell you how many times we tried to do it and failed last season because we were screwing around with Eluemunor at Tackle early on and he just couldn't get to anybody in time or hit a moving target. Of course, defenses were shaded in because we couldn't spread the field, but even though we have zero shot at Sewell I think it's worth watching as it does pertain to what separates an elite prospect from a guy that can't move in space.

Give it a few minutes and you'll see why The Bengals (very likely ) will pass on flashier skill guys to take Sewell at 5 and be a better offense because of it.

Note the play illustrated at the 2:00 mark. As it unfolds you'll see a much faster guy (#20) with an angle on the ball carrier. If you paused the tape there you'd assume that he'd stuff it, but Penei is able to reverse his momentum and stretch out 4 yards to shove the guy out of the play. It's kind of subtle, but there aren't many guys in the NFL that could do that. Sewell has an enormous range for a bigger, powerful OT and that is a key to his future value along with his in-line skills. That's the difference right there-- you can do more things with him than a regular top OT prospect and design plays to take advantage of that range.

View: https://youtu.be/l7K1x0z0pfM

Switch Mond to Davis Mills please.
OT in the 3rd is no surprise to me. It's a pretty big need. But waiting to the 7th for a S isn't Belichick-like and FS is a need for next year as a starter or as depth.
I no longer watch college ball so I don't have a strong opinion either way, other than I read that he has had a knee issue since college. Are you not concerned about his knee?

Scott Pioli just shared a great story on GMFB that I figured folks would like.

In the 2001 draft the Pats had the 50th selection in the 2nd round and wanted Matt Light. As the pick neared, Pioli called Light and asked him if anybody had spoken to him. Light
responded that, yes, and in fact he had the Jets (who had the 49th pick) on hold. Scott asked him to not tell the Jets that he'd called and that he'd call right back. We swung a trade
with Detroit for the 48th and screwed the Jets out of Light who was a cornerstone LT for our first 3 rings.

And that's how you Sonny Weaver the competition. It doesn't cost anything to ask, right?

Back