The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

if it were skillset alone, rodgers all day. but much like i felt with p. manning, he'd NEVER work right with BB. agree w/mazz.

I think Rodgers and BB would get along just great. Working with the GOAT coach is very different than working with any GB coach he's ever had.
We'll agree to disagree.

I was just looking at the depth chart and we are really light at both guard positions.
Ted Karras also plays guard. So do Wynn (allegedly) and Onwenu. Game day 7 or 8 of Brown/Mason/Andrews/Onwenu/Wynn + Karras & 1-2 of Cunningham/Cajuste/Herron, and we can go to battle as-is.

I don't know anything about anything and especially that QB, but the trade seems like a good one to me. What position was he drafted in?
26 overall last year.

Supposedly, the Packers are second-guessing the selection because Rodgers is a long way from the Cliff and various trades involving Love are a frequent topic among Packer fans. I heard a discussion on NFL radio among some smart guys and they made the point that nobody (read: NOBODY) really knows anything about Love as an NFL QB. He was last year's version of Trey Lance and never played a down. And he made Rodgers butt hurt.

My gut feeling is that the memo shown above is a well-crafted fake, however it does provide a way for us to both slide back to get somebody like Trevon Moehrig (the next Devin Mac) or Terrance Marshall (for instance) while obtaining a plausible-enough QB of the future -- which is a fresh spin that I haven't yet seen. It'd be like making a deal for last year's model with no mileage on the odometer because the original buyer decided he didn't need to buy an expensive sporty car after all since the old one still runs beautiful. "I got it for a steal, honey!!"

I never really thought Love was a legit first-rounder and he did not strike me as Bill's kind of guy, but who knows?

If it happened it'd likely get positive reviews (because it's interesting), but how are you going to project 19 starts at Utah State into the guy to replace Brady? And the Packers have seen him in practice, so why would they pull the plug so cheaply for the 15th pick unless they believe he is a lemon?

26 overall last year.

Supposedly, the Packers are second-guessing the selection because Rodgers is a long way from the Cliff and various trades involving Love are a frequent topic among Packer fans. I heard a discussion on NFL radio among some smart guys and they made the point that nobody (read: NOBODY) really knows anything about Love as an NFL QB. He was last year's version of Trey Lance and never played a down. And he made Rodgers butt hurt.

My gut feeling is that the memo shown above is a well-crafted fake, however it does provide a way for us to both slide back to get somebody like Trevon Moehrig (the next Devin Mac) or Terrance Marshall (for instance) while obtaining a plausible-enough QB of the future -- which is a fresh spin that I haven't yet seen. It'd be like making a deal for last year's model with no mileage on the odometer because the original buyer decided he didn't need to buy an expensive sporty car after all since the old one still runs beautiful. "I got it for a steal, honey!!"

I never really thought Love was a legit first-rounder and he did not strike me as Bill's kind of guy, but who knows?

If it happened it'd likely get positive reviews (because it's interesting), but how are you going to project 19 starts at Utah State into the guy to replace Brady? And the Packers have seen him in practice, so why would they pull the plug so cheaply for the 15th pick unless they believe he is a lemon?

I don't get why the Packers don't give Rodgers an extension unless they don't want to, of course. That has to be the only reason since it should have been done by now. Rodgers already said no to a restructure and I don't blame him. Forget Love; go for Rodgers.
Pat Kirwan said on SiriusXM yesterday point blank that it looks more and more like Rodgers will be with another team by the beginning of the 2022 season unless the Packers FO comes to their senses. We'll see. I'd love the guy for the Pats. People forget that his beef was with McCarthy and, imo, that was bc he was always smarter than McCarthy at running the offense.
BB/Josh would have no such problem with Rodgers. Jmho.

With Rodgers this Pats team is suddenly a legit SB contender.

Very nicely laid out article by Mike Reiss about who fits the Pats at 15 if no QB and no trade. I agree wholeheartedly with Mike's views of the needs.

I'm also a proponent of Jaycee Horn to be our shutdown CB for the next 4-5 years.

View: https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1384505885628801024

Last edited:
Sleeper WR candidates who could become full time starters in time

Raleigh Webb, the Citadel
Jacob Harris, Central Florida

You can have Love or JimmyG. I'll take Rodgers and we'll see which team has the most wins.

Think more clearly.
Does Rodgers have a no trade clause?

26 overall last year.

I'd totally forgotten about that kid. I thought it said "QB I Love" and was about Rogers. From there my train of thought was that it might just be too stupid to be fake. But either way it almost certainly is fake.

This draft is getting so insane I sort of hope that the 1st 4 picks are all qbs and Denver or Washington give up 3 or 4 drafts for pick 5. This is truly insane. 3 1st rounders for the 3rd qb off the board?

I'd totally forgotten about that kid. I thought it said "QB I Love" and was about Rogers. From there my train of thought was that it might just be too stupid to be fake. But either way it almost certainly is fake.

It took me a minute to figure that out as well. It was a shitty "J". This is the 3rd different major trade "rumor" between the Packers and Pats in the last few months with Stephon Gilmore and Jeopardy Boy himself being mentioned previously.

It's really a clever fake, though, and a fun one. I liked the data codes used as a wrinkle, but the parts that made zero sense are why we would pull the trigger on a big deal now, with a long way to go til the Draft, and why a guy that got a lot of heat at this time last year would go for firesale prices when he hasn't proven that he CAN'T play yet. How would Brian Gutekunst get another GM job if he traded an allegedly valuable 1st rounder for peanuts and he went to Foxboro and started playing great? Aaron would have to throw one hell of a hissy fit to force that kind of deal.

I will guess that the source was a Patriots fan or more likely somebody mining for big hits because it does a fine job of combining Bill's tendency to trade down while at the same time landing us a plausible (on the surface) QBOTF to learn behind Cam. A "Genius Bill" move. It was a creative solution, at least, to a problem that doesn't seem to have a logical one given our slot and ammunition to land this year's model the way the chips are slated to fall.

It's not impossible, but I'm currently thinking it's very unlikely unless Bill loves a 2nd tier guy like Davis Mills or Trask better than the top 5 glamour boys.

Last edited:
the parts that made zero sense are why we would pull the trigger on a big deal now, with a long way to go til the Draft
Belichick and I assume all HCs who might be interested in trading work out the details of many potential trades beforehand, to save time while the draft is ongoing. Teams might not want to trade at that point in the actual draft, but if they do, the parameters are already agreed upon.

This could be one of those if-we-both-want-to-at-the-time agreements. But more likely it's a fake.

I had mentioned a week ago that I thought that the Patriots would have to trade up with the Lions to get Mack the Knife. Today I caught Kiper and McShay doing a mock and they had the Patriots trading up with the Lions to take Mac Jones. :cool:
So now the chances of BB doing that are remote.

Last edited:
I had mentioned a week ago that I thought that the Patriots would have to trade up with the Lions to get Mack the Knife. Today I caught Kiper and McShay doing a mock and they had the Patriots trading up with the Lions to take Mac Jones. :cool:

I watched a feature called QB21 with Kirk Herbstreit on Mac Jones last night and it's similar (not as good, tho) to Gruden's QB camp. I've given up any hope of landing Mac, because I feel like the secret is out and remain unconcerned with the herd's criticism over his game. I maintain that he is the closest thing to Brady I've seen in the last 20 years and would be THE perfect fit in Foxboro.

I've already stated my case on him several times, so will attempt to not beat it to death, but the show (on ESPN) dug into his back story and featured a film session that illustrated who the guy is. He understood every aspect of what was happening in each case presented and broke it down with ease. He's a natural.

Lately, I keep seeing references to big armed, perfectly put-together guys with all the right numbers who were Draft Day Darlings but flamed out in the NFL because they couldn't figure out how to avoid trouble long enough to hold that job and gain vital experience. They forced their teams to move on from them. This is where Jones stands out, I believe. He can figure out the vectors/patterns and deliver the ball to one of his guys and not the guys in the other jerseys. Folks forget that Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady in the early years here, but managed games beautifully almost from the jump and moved the sticks behind a scheme that limited his exposure to areas where he needed time to work things out. The TDs followed and over time he improved his arm strength and accuracy, along with everything else and became the GOAT. I will also dare to chum the local waters by suggesting that Mac throws the ball quite a bit better than Tom did coming into the NFL at all 3 levels. OK, I'll call it a tie in the short zones, just to be kind. Jones has all the arm you need to win games in the NFL and I chuckle when I hear the oft-repeated but false claims that he's "average" or a "product of the system".

Herbie played some clips of Brady for Jones to comment on and it wasn't a coincidence. Mac acknowledged that he didn't feel comfortable comparing himself to the best player of all time, but he didn't stutter when he said it. He knew all about Brady's back story and his skill set, i.e., commanding the pocket and it was pretty plain to see that there are some definite parallels to their games and both he and Herbie knew it. He wasn't fazed by competition at Alabama, by Nick Saban screaming at him and I don't think he'd be overwhelmed by getting a job here. And all that entails. If it happens, and I doubt it will, then I'll be one hundred per cent sure it was the right move.

It's a pity that it won't happen, but I'm keeping a candle lit that we get lucky and other teams balk at the chance to take him because he doesn't fit enough of the accepted archetypes of modern draft "science". Teams cannot measure what goes on between a QBs ears well enough to give it the weight that it deserves, so will settle instead for what a tape measure and stopwatch can tell them. If we can get to him then we will take him.

Back