The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

26 overall last year.

Supposedly, the Packers are second-guessing the selection because Rodgers is a long way from the Cliff and various trades involving Love are a frequent topic among Packer fans. I heard a discussion on NFL radio among some smart guys and they made the point that nobody (read: NOBODY) really knows anything about Love as an NFL QB. He was last year's version of Trey Lance and never played a down. And he made Rodgers butt hurt.

My gut feeling is that the memo shown above is a well-crafted fake, however it does provide a way for us to both slide back to get somebody like Trevon Moehrig (the next Devin Mac) or Terrance Marshall (for instance) while obtaining a plausible-enough QB of the future -- which is a fresh spin that I haven't yet seen. It'd be like making a deal for last year's model with no mileage on the odometer because the original buyer decided he didn't need to buy an expensive sporty car after all since the old one still runs beautiful. "I got it for a steal, honey!!"

I never really thought Love was a legit first-rounder and he did not strike me as Bill's kind of guy, but who knows?

If it happened it'd likely get positive reviews (because it's interesting), but how are you going to project 19 starts at Utah State into the guy to replace Brady? And the Packers have seen him in practice, so why would they pull the plug so cheaply for the 15th pick unless they believe he is a lemon?
I believe there is zero chance they trade Love. They moved up to get him and he is LaFleur's guy. You are right that we don't know much about him but the fact that they have not done Rodgers contract tells you this is Rodgers last season and Love will be the QB in 2022.

Regarding Devonta Smith doing so well...
Waddle got hurt leaving the heavy lifting to Smith who got the bulk of the work.
Waddle has always been the best receiver of Ruggs, Jeudy and Smith. Everyone in the SEC knew it.
COVID took away a lot of players so Smith was productive against a lightened load of competitors.
Bama stopped RPO's when Tua left and went to straight drop back passing for Mac Jones and passed a lot.
If Waddle didn't get hurt the thinking is that he'd have won the Heisman.
I'm not going to discount a guy's ability to step up and fill the shoes of the WR everyone thinks is better. I view that as a positive trait. Smith put up better numbers than Waddle in 2019 as well.

I'm not going to discount a guy's ability to step up and fill the shoes of the WR everyone thinks is better. I view that as a positive trait. Smith put up better numbers than Waddle in 2019 as well.
They're both great WRs.

For the NFL I have a hard time betting on a guy that weighs 166 lbs dripping wet.

It's not a position of need . They addressed the position with in FA & Resigning players .
Yeah. That's true. I was happy that they resigned Guy. Felt like we could not afford to lose him. I must have misread some write-ups on the draft as I thought DL and OL were strong.

I was going to post this in the Bucs thread but thought it would be better discussed here. I didn't realize the Dline depth was bad in this class. I was thinking the Pats may draft high at DL.

View: https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1384920376036282371

Which made me think of our resigning a guy named Carl Davis, who didn't play much, was largely unknown coming in and got hurt. However, what little I did see of him made
me think that he might not be just another slappy. He's a large, aggressive IDL and appears to be as strong as a bull. We need a guy exactly like that.

Lost in the fog of last season was that while we backslid quite a ways from 2019 in points given up -- we still finished 8th in the league at 22.1. This is fairly amazing considering that we lost most of our LB corps, the DL rotation was woefully thin and our offense couldn't hold onto the ball for much of the season. On paper, the front 7 should be significantly deeper, although we could use a stud DE/Edge that can play the run and at least one more big DL to prevent teams from running at will -- something that killed us as the season wore on. It wasn't Lawrence Guy's fault as he was about the only capable DL on the roster. Some would include Deatrich Wise, but I wouldn't. I wish we let him walk and took our chances with somebody else.

We were 26th in yards per game on the ground at 131.4 and if that wasn't bad enough the number jumped to 163.7 over the final 3 games after we'd completely broken down and were starting guys every week who I'd never heard of. I'm pretty sure that sorry stat will continue to get attention moving forward.

Which made me think of our resigning a guy named Carl Davis, who didn't play much, was largely unknown coming in and got hurt. However, what little I did see of him made
me think that he might not be just another slappy. He's a large, aggressive IDL and appears to be as strong as a bull. We need a guy exactly like that.

Lost in the fog of last season was that while we backslid quite a ways from 2019 in points given up -- we still finished 8th in the league at 22.1. This is fairly amazing considering that we lost most of our LB corps, the DL rotation was woefully thin and our offense couldn't hold onto the ball for much of the season. On paper, the front 7 should be significantly deeper, although we could use a stud DE/Edge that can play the run and at least one more big DL to prevent teams from running at will -- something that killed us as the season wore on. It wasn't Lawrence Guy's fault as he was about the only capable DL on the roster. Some would include Deatrich Wise, but I wouldn't. I wish we let him walk and took our chances with somebody else.

We were 26th in yards per game on the ground at 131.4 and if that wasn't bad enough the number jumped to 163.7 over the final 3 games after we'd completely broken down and were starting guys every week who I'd never heard of. I'm pretty sure that sorry stat will continue to get attention moving forward.
The defense performed exceptionally well. We were 7th in points in 2018 when we won the SB. I think if we got a little more juice out of the offense with more points and longer drives than the defense would have performed even better because they would have been fresher as the season wore on. I think this year's defense has a chance to be much improved. Just having Hightower and Van Noy is a big boost.

Six of those guys are under 5'10" and most never put up numbers like Smith.

Pinkston - never had a 1000 yard season while playing in C-USA.
McDonald - Hobbit at 5'8"
Brown - 5'9" Hobbit. Run heavy Ravens offense and has put up 1353 yds and 15 TDs in his first two seasons.
Parrish - Never put up great numbers at Miami. No surprise he didn't do anything in the league.
Nelson - same as Pinkston. Zero 1000 yard seasons in C-USA.
Holliday - Hobbit sized kick returner
Banks - Good junior year, major drop off his senior year. 5'7". Another Hobbit.
Saunders - 5'9" Hobbit. 3rd leading WR on OU his junior year. Couldn't replace Stills' production when he was their #1 his senior year.
Reese - 2nd or 3rd fiddle his entire time at Baylor
Jackson - Another Hobbit. Deion Branch showed who was the better WR in Jackson's senior year.

Smith - In just the past two seasons he had 3112 yds and 37 TDs. He's also 6'1", so not a Hobbit. Best games last year came against Bama's toughest matchups. We'll see how it goes, but I think his profile is quite a bit better than everyone on that list.

I feel like Smith could be a TY Hilton type of player, and only injuries could derail his career. That said, I'd be scared shitless to pick him because of how possibly frail he could be.

And I don't think Patrick Surtain II is going to last until 16, either
Horn is on the list at 22.

This just shows the difference between a big board (an overall ranking of players) and a mock draft (where players may go based on position value, team need, and ranking of players).....it's also why I said we would have the ability to choose from at least 6 of these players, there is a good chance Surtain/Horn and Jones all go before 15, which just pushes better players to us.....BPA at 15, or a small trade back are probably the best value moves for us in the draft.

I feel like Smith could be a TY Hilton type of player, and only injuries could derail his career. That said, I'd be scared shitless to pick him because of how possibly frail he could be.
I agree there should be some pause because he is skinny. He can add some weight with him being 6'1". Pinkston was the only guy on the list over 6', so Smith is different from all of them. Pinkston was nowhere near as talented coming out of college.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Horn is on the list at 22.

This just shows the difference between a big board (an overall ranking of players) and a mock draft (where players may go based on position value, team need, and ranking of players).....it's also why I said we would have the ability to choose from at least 6 of these players, there is a good chance Surtain/Horn and Jones all go before 15, which just pushes better players to us.....BPA at 15, or a small trade back are probably the best value moves for us in the draft.
Could be. IDK, you only posted the top 20, but even if so I still think either Surtain II @ 16 or Horn @ 22 is way too late for the first CB to come off the board. I would love it if either/both were available at 15, and agree with you that this lopsided draft (scads of top QBs and OTs) will push a nice selection of nice players down to us.

Last edited:
Smith has the height, but 166#....... I guess it depends first, if he has the frame to add 20 pounds, and second, if he could do it. I remember loving Shawn Crable as a draft pick, believing that as soon as he put some big-boy muscle on his legs he would be a star. Just add Crable to my list of LB binkies who never made it, from Andy Katzenmoyer to Oscar Lua.

Smith has the height, but 166#....... I guess it depends first, if he has the frame to add 20 pounds, and second, if he could do it. I remember loving Shawn Crable as a draft pick, believing that as soon as he put some big-boy muscle on his legs he would be a star. Just add Crable to my list of LB binkies who never made it, from Andy Katzenmoyer to Oscar Lua.

Yeah. It would be a matter of him being able to put on weight.

And add me to the failed Crabre hype. I thought we had our possible poor man's McGuinnest replacement. We didn't even get that.

That epilepsy admission by Fields is an interesting development. If it's managed well there should be no issue but it probably will cause a team or two to move him down the board. In a sport with major issues about head injuries, epilepsy is a concerning ailment to be bringing into the pro game.

I was just looking at the 2004 NFL Draft. The Patriots had the 21st pick, and there were a lot of QBs and WRs taken in the first 20 picks.

In 2004, instead of moving up or down, Belichick stayed at 21, and Vince Wilfork was there when it was the Patriots turn to pick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Belichick stay at 15 - he may think he'll get a really good player because other teams are over-drafting skill position players.

This was also the draft where Wes Welker wasn't picked - he was signed as an UDFA by the Chargers.

I agree there should be some pause because he is skinny. He can add some weight with him being 6'1". Pinkston was the only guy on the list over 6', so Smith is different from all of them. Pinkston was nowhere near as talented coming out of college.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I don't see Smith adding any significant weight and he'd have to add 20 just to get to 186. Jerry Jeudy is 6'1" but weighs 193 and he's slim. To me Smith's slim frame is the issue - his bones are thin. That's scary to me. T.Y. Hilton? Believe it or not, Hilton is 2" shorter and 20 lbs heavier that Smith. Get the picture?
Where's he going to add weight? Look at this guy. Unbelievably talented. Great hands. Long arms. Every hit would make me shudder. His hips are only a foot wide. Toothpick. Bone rack. He's a player for sure. But for how long? He's not a burner; he's going to get hit in the NFL. It's a genuine concern for me.

cqpvefew18zghpzkkdxm.jpg

Last edited:
Back