The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Bama vs OSU and players Pats' fans should be watching.
Evan Lazar hits his commentary on Mac Jones dead center, imo.
Bama's Devonta Smith won the Heisman and Lazar thinks he's better than Jeudy and Ruggs, as do I, but he also says he's better than Waddle bc of the # of targets Smith got. Note
to Lazar: Waddle was injured for most of the year. I'd be very happy with Waddle as a Patriot.

Throw in Bama CB Patrick Surtain II as a potential Pats target. I don't know how high he is rated, but he certainly
looks to me like a potential excellent pro at a position that Bill always invests in.

I don't know much about their current DTs, but based on the fact that there are about 14 of them that performed well in the playoffs maybe
we should take a peek at this year's crop. We could sorely use a big guy that can collapse the pocket and doesn't like to move backwards.

Neither is my first choice, but Bill don't care about what I think.

welp, i watched a little of this game and it made me remember why i don't watch college fb. it seems so "my athlete is better than yours" to me. meh.

Smith is amazing, but he has 215 yards. Jones almost has 400...Jones is most likely a 1st round pick now.

With the 18th pick of the NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins pick Alabama QB Mac Jones.

The OSU TE and RB might also be good fits for the Pats. Ruckert and Sermon.

Ruckert had some "Gronk-like" plays last night. That one handed catch on the seam route early in the game stands out big. Blocks well. They should have used him more.

Last edited:
I've been thinking for more than a year that this guy could be Thuney's replacement.
Bama LG. 6'4", 350. 865 snaps and not a single sack allowed. He's been responsible for opening holes for Bama backs for 3 years. Weight issues but under control.

If Jones is still there at pick #15, I hope that the Patriots take him. Now I understand that he is playing on team that has an outstanding OL and abundance of weapons. But to me he passes the eye test and has every time I see him play. Even though he has not had to throw into NFL type tight windows, I believe he has the "it" factor much like Brady did coming out of college.

And no, I'm not saying he is going to be Brady II. But he does remind me of how Brady looked in Brady's senior year. And Jones did not have to split time as Brady did.

When i heard them say he is a great student, that piqued my interest. being able to be good in school while playing shows drive. work ethic, etc.

If Jones is still there at pick #15, I hope that the Patriots take him. Now I understand that he is playing on team that has an outstanding OL and abundance of weapons. But to me he passes the eye test and has every time I see him play. Even though he has not had to throw into NFL type tight windows, I believe he has the "it" factor much like Brady did coming out of college.

And no, I'm not saying he is going to be Brady II. But he does remind me of how Brady looked in Brady's senior year. And Jones did not have to split time as Brady did.
The thing that impressed me the most about Jones is his touch and accuracy on short passes. He didn't waste a lot of time, pulled the trigger and the ball was on the money almost every time. .

It was a very impressive performance at all levels, but that was, for me, the most unusual skill that Jones seems to have. He would seem to be a good fit for what we've traditionally done here.

Not to knock him, but the offensive system design was a thing of creative mastery and, much like my reservations about Justin Fields and all OSU QBs, it's a projection to imagine what he'd be like if he was under more duress and didn't have superior athletes to the opposition all over the lineup. Still, there is a lot to like about Jones and he appears to have some traits that will translate well to the NFL.

The big question is whether he'll be available to us and, perhaps, his relative lack of athleticism compared to the big name college QBs of recent years might make him less desirable to some. I suppose it is possible but unlikely after that performance.

I think I'd take him if he was there from what I've seen. I'll look forward to his evaluations prior to the draft.

The thing that impressed me the most about Jones is his touch and accuracy on short passes. He didn't waste a lot of time, pulled the trigger and the ball was on the money almost every time. .

It was a very impressive performance at all levels, but that was, for me, the most unusual skill that Jones seems to have. He would seem to be a good fit for what we've traditionally done here.

Not to knock him, but the offensive system design was a thing of creative mastery and, much like my reservations about Justin Fields and all OSU QBs, it's a projection to imagine what he'd be like if he was under more duress and didn't have superior athletes to the opposition all over the lineup. Still, there is a lot to like about Jones and he appears to have some traits that will translate well to the NFL.

The big question is whether he'll be available to us and, perhaps, his relative lack of athleticism compared to the big name college QBs of recent years might make him less desirable to some. I suppose it is possible but unlikely after that performance.

I think I'd take him if he was there from what I've seen. I'll look forward to his evaluations prior to the draft.
He reminds me of Brady...not athletic, but, smart and accurate. Didn't seem like the game was above him.

BB should draft him imo.

welp, i watched a little of this game and it made me remember why i don't watch college fb. it seems so "my athlete is better than yours" to me. meh.
The problem with college football is that the NCAA allows a select few programs do whatever they want with impunity. Bama, Clemson, OSU are the best examples of getting away with whatever they want. I don't care that players get paid, but the field needs to be leveled. Until it is, you'll see Bama, Clemson, OSU, (81% of all college football playoff games have been won by these three programs) and one of LSU, OU, and maybe a surprise like ND make the playoff. NCAA needs to approve the likeness rights ASAP instead of continuing to drag their feet.

The college football postseason is also the worst in all of sports. They need a true 16 team or 24 team playoff. FCS has been doing at least a 16 team playoff since 1995 and they've been at 24 since 2013. Acting like it can't be done is mind numbingly stupid.

He reminds me of Brady...not athletic, but, smart and accurate. Didn't seem like the game was above him.

BB should draft him imo.
I'd go a step further. I can't recall a single play where he looked unsure of himself.

It's clear that Bama runs an advanced College offense and Jones appeared to have it mastered. He did it all. His faking was excellent and even if he isn't blazing quick when running with the ball, I thought his mechanics looked good and he didn't waste any time. He showed some good pocket sense, but it didn't hurt that his OL was comprised of what appeared to be rhinos.

Smart kid, good leader, knows his system cold, bad body.

Yep. Sounds like Brady,

When i heard them say he is a great student, that piqued my interest. being able to be good in school while playing shows drive. work ethic, etc.

My fam down there who are Bama Boosters tell me Mac Jones is a student of the game and studies the playbook constantly. He's also in the film room with his WRs prior to every game discussing how they want to attack a defense on each play in the game plan with lots of "if, then" kind of stuff. That's heady even for the NFL.

Back