The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

That is a really good point.

When scouts have to rely on film more than the underwear olympics the guys that are good football players benefit.

Still, the draft stock market isn't even close to being set yet. What seems perfectly plausible in late February becomes heretical
rantings in late April. This happens without fail every.single.spring.

On a related observation, nobody thought that much about Jordan Love as a top QB prospect one year ago today. I'm going on memory here, but don't even
recall him being considered a first round pick. Nonetheless, Green Bay chose him at 26 overall and that pick was widely applauded in the aftermath of
the draft as a brilliant pick for no apparent reason.

I guarantee that there will be a quarterback that nobody is taking seriously right now that rockets up the charts over the next two
months. Even with no Combine happening, somebody will post some trick throws on TikTok or something and the herd will all nod
in compliance. A groundswell of groupthink will start to form.

The insane contracts QBs get after their rookie deal expires dictate that it is a huge financial benefit to clubs that can find
their guy in the late first and get a fifth-year option cheap, so the need is there to manufacture guys that can plausibly fit that bill

While I like Mac Jones and think he's too smart to slip everybody's notice, I hold onto the hope that we can get him to Foxboro
through a series of lucky breaks, nervous owners caving into public pressure and industrious fanboys mining for hits and influencing
pro scouts with cleverly edited Youtube highlight reels backed with incomprehensible rap soundtracks.

PFF says why Mac Jones shouldn't be considered a top draftee, "he earned only a 63.8 passing grade on 36 dropbacks throughout the week of practices [at the Senior Bowl] and then didn’t play in the game. If he didn’t have the Alabama helmet on, there wouldn’t have been much at all in his game that distinguished him from the other quarterbacks in attendance. That’s enough to make me hesitate to draft him highly."

All the teams were there for practices and witnessed his play. Maybe this talk of Jones soaring in the rankings is all media driven. We know teams aren't in alignment with the media either way.

Maybe there's hope. Or maybe I have Jones pegged all wrong.

PFF says why Mac Jones shouldn't be considered a top draftee, "he earned only a 63.8 passing grade on 36 dropbacks throughout the week of practices [at the Senior Bowl] and then didn’t play in the game. If he didn’t have the Alabama helmet on, there wouldn’t have been much at all in his game that distinguished him from the other quarterbacks in attendance. That’s enough to make me hesitate to draft him highly."

All the teams were there for practices and witnessed his play. Maybe this talk of Jones soaring in the rankings is all media driven. We know teams aren't in alignment with the media either way.

Maybe there's hope. Or maybe I have Jones pegged all wrong.

As I have previously stated, I'm often wrong about players. I'm an amateur who is guessing. For instance, I thought Mason Rudolph would be a good pro QB. He isn't. I also thought Justin
Herbert was overrated. Wrong again. However, I could also list a bunch of guys that I was right about and the pros weren't, but that could be blind luck. Even the best personnel people in the business draft a bunch of guys every spring who can't play in the league. Simply put, it's a crapshoot. If you only miss half your evaluations you're doing well.

I'm pinning my guess on Jones primarily on the way the way he appears to me as a whole. The way he keeps his cool, goes through progressions, wastes no time, his perfect touch and timing on short passes.....he looks quite unusual to me. I know he is academically exceptional but that doesn't always translate to football smart, but it strikes me that he is that, too. And I'm talking possibly
Brady smart.

There are plenty of pros than that feel the same way about him and I choose to put more weight on a Championship season than an All-star game conducted under Covid restrictions.

However, the more people that disagree on him the better chance that he'll be there at 15 and then we'll see what our guys think.

I'm always wrong about my binkies, so I'm probably way off base here, but it keeps me amused.

I am exhausted just reading that.
I would love that draft! There would ultimately be at least a few players that would pan out from that...and the next would drafts. I should have took a screenshot for all of the draft picks that I got for the next two years. It was like 5 1st's for 2022 and 2023. Each. And way, way more in the rounds after that. The Pats would be setup WELL for the future! ;)

This mock didn't "go to the moon (or even to mars either ;)" as spatially as the last one, but, did set up for the future well.

mock draft 22821 v2.jpg

Addendum to last post. This is a screenshot list of the picks for the next two years:

mock draft 22821 draft picks for 22 23.jpg

...not too bad? :coffee:

I found the one player to open "Pandora's Box"...and keep unfurling untold riches. It literally was only one key player to do this.

Can anyone guess who the key player is?

Davis Mills, QB, Stanford works with QB Country as I posted previously.

So does Mac Jones. His coach there said the very things we've said for weeks. He studies the game. He's different. He prepares. Kinda like Brady in that regard, no?

View: https://twitter.com/QBCountry/status/1366183729891270661

Those are the words of David Morris who is the founder of QB Country in Mobile, AL and head QB coach there.
Coincidentally, David Morris also worked with Gardner Minshew from HS through college and in preparation for his NFL draft.

1500x500

BB will draft one of these dew's. If he isn't, he's waiting for Desmond Ridder next year.

:coffee:

I'll be watching Sam Howell of the Tarheels this year. And Rattler, of course.

Those are the words of David Morris who is the founder of QB Country in Mobile, AL and head QB coach there.
Coincidentally, David Morris also worked with Gardner Minshew from HS through college and in preparation for his NFL draft.

1500x500

I'll be watching Sam Howell of the Tarheels this year. And Rattler, of course.

...is interesting...

I've changed my mind about this WR class as a whole.
It's very top heavy with probably 3 of the best we've seen in a long time but then Tiers 2 & 3 have 6-8 guys then the talent drops quickly primarily bc of route running skills.
It's not as deep as I thought it might be. Slot looks like it has more good choices than X.

I've read the OTs in this class aren't as good as we've seen the last 2 years. Most of these OTs project to OG and only 2-3 look like good LT material.
S is another very shallow class. Hope that doesn't mean BB takes 1 in the 2nd.

DL, however is well stocked with a good one available even on day 3.

I know this may be controversial and I am a big guy with strong shoulders so I can handle the criticism. lol However, everyone is in love with the dual threat QB atm and I see why but I personally don't think they are very successful at the NFL level late in the season ie; playoffs. I know the game is evolving and I know the QB position is "evolving" as well. But time and time again, history and current players, pocket passers imo, are more successful, have longer careers and are generally more productive in the passing game. I know many will bring up Mahomes but imo, he isn't a true dual threat, he runs if he has to, he would prefer to pass the ball first and run only as a last resort. I would actually prefer to see more natural pocket passer, someone who can make split second decisions. While players like Lamar Jackson are fun to watch they aren't as productive (most of the time).

With all that being said, Mac Jones kind of fits the criteria of what we are traditionally used to here in New England. He is a pass first player, he has a nice touch, accurate, makes solid decisions and won't hurt the team with stupid throws (we hope lol). I can see us going after Jones if he is available at 15.

I think even if we go with a Vet like Jimmy G or Brissett, I could see the Pats focusing on Defense in the first round, LB or DL then maybe look for a QB in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round or we hold out until next year and see what's available via the 2022 draft.

I know this may be controversial and I am a big guy with strong shoulders so I can handle the criticism. lol However, everyone is in love with the dual threat QB atm and I see why but I personally don't think they are very successful at the NFL level late in the season ie; playoffs. I know the game is evolving and I know the QB position is "evolving" as well. But time and time again, history and current players, pocket passers imo, are more successful, have longer careers and are generally more productive in the passing game. I know many will bring up Mahomes but imo, he isn't a true dual threat, he runs if he has to, he would prefer to pass the ball first and run only as a last resort. I would actually prefer to see more natural pocket passer, someone who can make split second decisions. While players like Lamar Jackson are fun to watch they aren't as productive (most of the time).

With all that being said, Mac Jones kind of fits the criteria of what we are traditionally used to here in New England. He is a pass first player, he has a nice touch, accurate, makes solid decisions and won't hurt the team with stupid throws (we hope lol). I can see us going after Jones if he is available at 15.

He's the guy I want!
I'm afraid the WFT is going to make a trade to jump us & take him though.
I think most people here would be happy with Jones.

Last edited:
As I have previously stated, I'm often wrong about players. I'm an amateur who is guessing. For instance, I thought Mason Rudolph would be a good pro QB. He isn't. I also thought Justin
Herbert was overrated. Wrong again. However, I could also list a bunch of guys that I was right about and the pros weren't, but that could be blind luck. Even the best personnel people in the business draft a bunch of guys every spring who can't play in the league. Simply put, it's a crapshoot. If you only miss half your evaluations you're doing well.

I'm pinning my guess on Jones primarily on the way the way he appears to me as a whole. The way he keeps his cool, goes through progressions, wastes no time, his perfect touch and timing on short passes.....he looks quite unusual to me. I know he is academically exceptional but that doesn't always translate to football smart, but it strikes me that he is that, too. And I'm talking possibly
Brady smart.

There are plenty of pros than that feel the same way about him and I choose to put more weight on a Championship season than an All-star game conducted under Covid restrictions.

However, the more people that disagree on him the better chance that he'll be there at 15 and then we'll see what our guys think.

I'm always wrong about my binkies, so I'm probably way off base here, but it keeps me amused.
I recently watched a YouTube video where Steve Mariucci was talking about the 2000 draft, and why the 49ers picked Carmazzi in the third round (and didn't pick Brady).

According to Mariucci, Carmazzi checked all the boxes as far as what they were looking for.

However, it turned out that the pro game is indeed was a big step up for Carmazzi - it's faster, the players hit harder, and there's more information to process. In Carmazzi's first pre-season game (against the Pats), he was sacked a number of times, and lost his confidence (at least that's what Mariucci said he thinks happened).

The takeaway, I think, is that having all the physical tools is not enough. Of course, there's a minimum set of physical traits that are needed for each position.

But the characteristics that determine success at the NFL level go way beyond the physical, and involves factors that can't be truly evaluated until after players arrive in camp and start going through the rigors of NFL life.

Your post isn't controversial one bit. Leave those controversial posts to me... :coffee:

Also, I agree with you.

I think even if we go with a Vet like Jimmy G or Brissett, I could see the Pats focusing on Defense in the first round, LB or DL then maybe look for a QB in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round or we hold out until next year and see what's available via the 2022 draft.
Brisket coming back to NE would not be the right call imo...

Brisket coming back to NE would not be the right call imo...
I only mentioned Brissett because he was on the team. But thinking about it more, he was only on the team for half a season. So he really isn't an advantage. Jimmy G has at least 3 to 4 years in our system so he would be the best bet. But again, he has a hefty pay check and I don't see the Pats shelling out that kind of cash to him. So unless he is willing to restructure, I think he heads to Tampa to be Brady's replacement after next season.

Last edited:
He's the guy I want!
I'm afraid the WFT is going to make a trade to jump us & take him though.
I think most people here would be happy with Jones.
Another option could be a kid like Trey Lance. He is a big kid who isn't afraid to run. But he seems to be more of the pass first mind set. My assessment may be wrong about him though. I do know in 2019 he threw for 2,800 yards and 28 TD passes with 0 picks. But he also had 1,100 yards rushing, so my assessment is definitely wrong. lol I will go and stand in the corner now.

I also keep going back and forth between a QB and a defensive player in the first round. My head tells me we don't go QB in the first round. Maybe it's because we haven't had to think about that position in 20 years, I honestly don't know. But if we decide to go defense and if he is available, Zaven Collins. There is something about a QB converted to LB that is appealing to me. I think he would be a great addition to our defense.

Back