The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

I wonder is it true? It would sense, pounce now and get your franchise QB. A lot of talk about the Patriots moving up to trade to the Falcons spot. As the guys in the video say, that might be questionable as yes the Falcons have re-signed Ryan but he's mid-30s now so why not go for your future QB in the draft at your current position?

Anyone hear Ray Rauth talking about the trade up involving Gilmore?

View: https://youtu.be/A8ThY-XjgWU

It's been proposed by many in the media. The thinking is that Gilmore is going to demand a very healthy raise again this year just as he did last year and that BB won't do it this year since Gilmore's play last year doesn't warrant it.

Here's a mock from Evan Lazar and Alex Barth that incorporates a Gilmore trade.
They tried to trade up for Lance but the Eagles wanted our entire draft to do it. Traded a pretty good haul for Fields.

View: https://twitter.com/RealAlexBarth/status/1375247451016331268

Last edited:
i heard an interview w/surratt the other day. impressive kid. having a lb who used to be a qb is intriguing.

i heard an interview w/surratt the other day. impressive kid. having a lb who used to be a qb is intriguing.

He's an elite athlete who is fast and plays fast. He's small for BB's history with LBs though at 6'2", 228.
Plenty of teams like to use undersized LBs as spies, in coverage and as blitzers.
BB has used S/LB hybrids in that role and he has 3 of them on the team already in Dugger, Phillips and the new kid Jalen Mills.
Just my thoughts

So I just came across this Mock Draft Analyzer, and I don't think I've seen it referenced here. Pretty cool data tool, he compiles a data set of mock drafts, drops the data into the tool, and you can manipulate the view to see it in different ways.

For example, here is the data set for the Patriots pick, for mocks posted this month, apprently the mocks he is using don't have us trading the pick...

Pats_15_March.png

From PFF on the QBs

We’re starting off the positional ranks for the 2021 NFL Draft with arguably the strongest positional group in the class. This quarterback group is special. Whether it’s in top-end talent or depth, the 2021 signal-caller class stacks up favorably against any we’ve seen since we started grading for the 2015 NFL Draft.

Superlatives​

Strongest Arm: Trey Lance
Most Accurate: Justin Fields
Best Runner: Trey Lance
Best Outside the Pocket: Zach Wilson
Best Pocket Presence: Trevor Lawrence
Best vs. Blitz: Mac Jones
Quickest Decision Maker: Davis Mills

I'll skip Trevor Lawrence

2. Zach Wilson, BYU

Wilson’s meteoric rise is no fluke. The talent he possesses in his right arm is exceptional. His ability to throw lasers from any body position is unlike any other quarterback in the class.
There really aren’t too many holes you can poke in his 2020 tape. Even in his “bad” game against Coastal Carolina, he still earned an 82.7 overall grade. Wilson can win both in and out of structure. He carved up the blitz with authority this year, earning a 91.4 passing grade when dealing with five or more rushers.

The biggest knocks on him are things we haven’t seen him do. Play top competition. Face consistent pressure (only 21.6% of dropbacks in 2020). When that’s the case, it’s difficult to weigh those too heavily when the NFL-translatable skills are so ample.

Even facing lesser defenses, Wilson still excelled when his job was made difficult. His 94.2 passing grade on 122 attempts into throwing windows where the receiver had less than a step of separation is the highest we’ve seen in the past four years. Even Joe Burrow was at only 88.8 in 2019, and he ranks second. That is a necessary aspect of playing in the NFL and makes us think the leap from BYU to the league may not be too drastic for Wilson.

3. Justin Fields, Ohio State

Every time I go through the totality of Fields' tape and physical profile, I can’t help but think he’s being overthought by many. He’s arguably the most accurate quarterback in the draft class, is a legitimate threat as a runner and has the kind of hose capable of flipping it 60-plus yards without a windup.

How many guys have failed with that level of physical tools?

Of course, there are negatives. He’s prone to holding the ball too long and taking sacks. His 23.5% career pressure to sack conversion rate is on the high end for the position and actually got worse this year (25%). He’s played with the second-best collection of offensive talent in the country, behind Alabama, over the course of his career.

Finally, his performance this year against the blitz was less than stellar. He held onto the ball way too long (3.1-second average time to throw) and earned only a 75.6 passing grade when he did let it rip. Those things aren't set in stone, though, as Fields can easily improve there. Good luck coaching other quarterbacks to be as pinpoint as Fields has been in his career.

4. Trey Lance, North Dakota State

Lance has a prodigious physical skill set. I don’t think it’s controversial at all to say he possesses the biggest arm in the draft class. The ball jumps out of his hands differently than anyone else in the class at every level of the field.

Add in some wheels at a hefty 227 pounds, and you have a legit dual threat. Lance not only has “short-yardage battering ram” written all over him, but he can also run away from linebackers for big plays.

It’s the whole throwing accurately and leading a pass-heavy offense part that is the issue with Lance. He averaged only 18 dropbacks a game in his lone year as a starter. His 47.2% on-target rate since the start of 2019 is the lowest of any quarterback in this top five by nearly 10 percentage points. He is the definition of a project. When you have his level of tools, though, that’s a project worth taking on.

5. Mac Jones, Alabama

The numbers are insane. The tools are average at best. Jones will be the ultimate debate at the position on performance versus physical ability.

Going through the tape, it is quite clear Jones had one of the easiest jobs of any quarterback in the country despite playing SEC competition. Some of the windows he was throwing into downfield were absurd.

That being said, he was never a detriment to the offense and operated incredibly efficiently within it. His lowest-graded game of the season was a 72.8 mark against Arkansas, and he utterly carved up top defenses in the College Football Playoff — to the tune of a 91.6 versus Notre Dame and an 87.6 versus Ohio State.

What will that look like without first reads running wide open, though? There are a couple of ways to judge that. The first is with PFF’s decision charting that gave him a 73.8 passing grade when forced to go beyond his first read the past two seasons — the lowest of any quarterback in the top five here.

The other is at the Senior Bowl, where he earned only a 63.8 passing grade on 36 dropbacks throughout the week of practices and then didn’t play in the game. If he didn’t have the Alabama helmet on, there wouldn’t have been much at all in his game that distinguished him from the other quarterbacks in attendance. That’s enough to make me hesitate to draft him highly.

6. Kyle Trask, Florida

Trask lit up scoreboards this past season at Florida en route to 43 touchdowns in 13 games on the season. He has ideal size at 6-foot-5, 240 pounds and NFL-caliber arm talent, although it’s not quite on the level of the guys at the top of the class.

With Trask, one has to buy into the upward trajectory of his career. He went from never having started, even in high school, to a 66.4 passing grade in his first year of 2019 to a 92.4 mark this past year. The problem is that he’s a bit of a statue and his 68.7 completion percentage isn’t anywhere near indicative of his overall ball placement. Only 57.8% of his targets past the line of scrimmage were deemed accurate this past season — the sixth-ranked figure among the 10 quarterbacks listed here.

7. Davis Mills, Stanford

A lot of what you’re buying into with Mills is what he could become. We’ve seen the former five-star quarterback make only 10 starts his entire college career. Already, though, he's flashed some necessary skills. He’s very accurate and efficient within the structure of an offense. In fact, if you take away screens and RPOs, Mills had the second-highest accuracy rate in 2020 of any quarterback on this list.

He also does so quickly. His 2.51-second average time to throw on non-screens and non-RPOs was the fastest of any quarterback in the top 10, finishing .17 seconds over Trevor Lawrence this past season. Getting the ball out quickly and accurately is how a pure pocket quarterback like Mills has to win at the next level. We just wish we could have seen more proof on tape.

He's an elite athlete who is fast and plays fast. He's small for BB's history with LBs though at 6'2", 228.
Plenty of teams like to use undersized LBs as spies, in coverage and as blitzers.
BB has used S/LB hybrids in that role and he has 3 of them on the team already in Dugger, Phillips and the new kid Jalen Mills.
Just my thoughts
JaCoby Stevens LSU. 5th/6th round. Divine Deablo VT. 4th round. Hamsah Nasirildeen FSU. 3rd round.

Fantastic trade for Miami. I have to say I love Lynch's aggressiveness. I wonder who they like a QB. I do hope they are willing to deal Jimmy to us. I know WFT and Bears also want him.

Back