The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

Or this one, also PFF

New England Patriots move from No. 15 to No. 7 (Detroit Lions) to draft Alabama QB Mac Jones

Full trade details:

• Patriots receive: No. 7, No. 153
  • Lions receive: No. 15, No. 46, No. 139 and 2022 2nd
  • Comparison Trade: 2018 Josh Allen (Bills receive No. 7 for No. 12, No. 53 and No. 56)

Of the big five quarterbacks in this year’s draft, it remains unclear which will fall out of the top three or four picks. But if it proves to be Ohio State's Justin Fields or North Dakota State's Trey Lance, this trade still makes plenty of sense for New England.
If the argument is any one of 3 qb prospects, my take is none of them are worth moving up for. If the argument is the target qb is available, and we can move up do it, then it makes sense.

If the argument is any one of 3 qb prospects, my take is none of them are worth moving up for. If the argument is the target qb is available, and we can move up do it, then it makes sense.
That is pretty much the trade that I have been doing on my mocks. Make the most sense now that Carolina is probably out of the mix.

Phil Perry's take on what BB has historically drafted at QB and which of these QBs best fits those parameters. He discusses Ehlinger, too. I like Ehlinger better than 1 or 2 that Lazar discusses.

From PFF. I'm good with Mac Jones or whoever is left over

The 2021 quarterback class is hands down the single best PFF has ever scouted in its seven years of grading college football. That means these superlatives are quite literally the best of the best. The sheer talent in this class made these superlatives quite easily the most hotly contested of any positional group in the draft.

Strongest Arm: Trey Lance

Not only does Lance have easy juice on the ball already, but there’s also reason to think he could get even stronger because he is the youngest quarterback in the draft. Even in only one season of play, Lance still has throws all over his tape that make you say “wow” with the velocity he puts on them.
That’s arm talent.

Most Accurate: Justin Fields

We’ll let PFF’s ball-placement charting do the deciding here. Justin Fields is tops in the class on all passes thrown five-plus yards downfield over the past two seasons with a 61.6% on-target rate, narrowly edging out Alabama's Mac Jones. That’s not quite at the 66.1% we saw from Joe Burrow last year, but it far outpaces most of the other top quarterbacks in the class. No one besides Jones (61.5%) in the class is within five percentage points.

Best Deep Ball: Trevor Lawrence

Lawrence still racked up deep shots despite never having a true sub-4.5-40-yard-dash type of wide receiver on the outside. His 77 career deep completions are 12 more than the next closest quarterback ranked in the top-10 of the 2021 draft class (BYU's Zach Wilson).

Best Timing: Mac Jones

This is Jones’ calling card, as he thrives within the tempo of the offense. No one came close to Jones statistically on “in-rhythm throws.” His 97.6 passing grade, 13.4 yards per attempt and 152.5 passer rating on these plays led college football. Jones got the ball where it needed to go consistently for the Crimson Tide.

Best Runner: Trey Lance

While there is no shortage of athletes at the position in this class, Lance not only has the physical tools, but he also has the on-field proof. He racked up 823 yards on 101 designed runs in 2019 and 327 yards on 33 scrambles, as well. Over his career, he averaged over 9.0 yards per attempt, and 18 of his 154 rushes ended up with a score.

Best Outside the Pocket: Zach Wilson

This is Wilson’s special trait that has him penciled in behind Trevor Lawrence on the PFF draft board. The man doesn’t have to have his feet set in the pocket to drop dimes. His 86.4 passing grade outside the pocket in 2020 was the highest of any quarterback in the class. He averaged 9.3 yards per attempt, completed 65.5% of his passes and recorded a passer rating of 127.2 on throws outside the pocket. That’s doing work.

Best Ball Security: Trey Lance

This one was hotly contested, as truly none of the top quarterback prospects have had near the turnover issues we’ve seen from first-rounders such as Jordan Love, Sam Darnold or even Deshaun Watson in recent seasons. However, it’s hard to go against Lance as he only threw one pick and had six turnover-worthy plays in his entire college career. To start as a redshirt freshman and protect the ball that well — even if it is against FCS competition — makes him easily deserving of this superlative.

Best Pocket Presence: Trevor Lawrence

While Lawrence has had several highly touted receivers over his time at Clemson, the same can’t be said for his offensive line. Guard John Simpson (fourth round, 2020), right tackle Tremayne Anchrum (seventh round, 2020) and left tackle Jack Carman (likey Day 2, 2021) are the only Clemson offensive linemen who have been drafted, or will be drafted, in Lawrence’s tenure. Still, he’s averaged fewer than 16 sacks a season and has been excellent at avoiding those plays altogether. It’s arguably the biggest reason why most feel so confident about him as a prospect.

Best vs. Blitz: Mac Jones

Not that there was really any other way to slow down Alabama’s offense in 2020, but blitzing certainly didn’t work. Jones led college football in every single statistical category when blitzed last season: yards (1,365), touchdowns (18), yards per attempt (11.4) and completion percentage (77.5%). Maybe most impressively, Jones was only sacked three times on 124 blitzed dropbacks.

Quickest Decision Maker: Davis Mills

Mills gets the ball out of his hands at the kind of pace NFL evaluators are sure to love. In fact, his 2.39-second average time to throw in 2020 on plays that weren’t screens, RPOs or play action was the fastest in the draft class. That’s a tenth of a second faster than the next closest quarterback (Trevor Lawrence, 2.49 seconds) and over two-tenths quicker than Mac Jones.

I didn't want to move up to get the 3rd rated quarterback. Does anyone really want to mortgage this draft and maybe more for the 4th rated?
Ideally, its best to just let the player fall into your lap...but, that doesn't always happen.

I "think" BB's mindfuck in this year's draft is: he has so many options that he thinks could be possible matches (QB's)...that he has no bad choices in whatever ending that he ends up with. In other words, He's already figured out who he wants and is good with whomever he gets in the draft.

:WHOA:

The article lost me when it finished by saying that the Malcolm Mitchel is included in the "abysmal" and "busted" category.

There's something about lance...i just like him. i wish gru dog were out of coaching and doing his qb interviews. those were the best things he did.

There's nothing not to like about Trey Lance. He can throw from the pocket, he can throw on the run, he can run with the ball, he can move a DB with his eyes and he doesn't turn the ball over. He's a coach's dream scenario to scheme up.

Back