The 2021 Draft- We Need This One

We've entered the lying season so be careful who you listen to and who you read. Some crazy shit is beginning to show up on the web.

We've entered the lying season so be careful who you listen to and who you read. Some crazy shit is beginning to show up on the web.

What's with the tease? What do you mean? Sometimes a good lie can be entertaining as in "the 49ers are planning on drafting Mac Jones at 3".

I figured that was bullshit the second I heard about it. Shanny II and Lynch aren't dopes and they would not leave such an obvious trail of crumbs. It's not good spycraft. I've given up the ghost on Jones coming here, so that is not my motivation for saying it. I don't think they have the balls to draft a relatively non-athletic QB who doesn't have a rocket attached to his shoulder just

How 'bout the Pats are planning on planning on swapping 15 for the Ravens' 27 & 58 so they can take Christian Barmore and we can take Davis Mills (and get the 5th year option)?

I just made it up, but other than the fact it's Baltimore there is some plausible logic to it.

Just in...

I heard the Pats are going to draft that Mirer at QB instead of the guy from Wala Wala. They say he can scramble so that should work well.

Just in...

I heard the Pats are going to draft that Mirer at QB instead of the guy from Wala Wala. They say he can scramble so that should work well.
Be careful. Mirer can’t throw to the left side to save his life. Eventually NFL teams will figure that out. I know, next Joe Montana, blah blah. I don’t buy it.:coffee:

Be careful. Mirer can’t throw to the left side to save his life. Eventually NFL teams will figure that out. I know, next Joe Montana, blah blah. I don’t buy it.:coffee:

So much hype for him and his storied career at ND. Jerome Bettis deserves a lot of credit for Mirer's college success.
Mirer's best year was his rookie year with Seattle under Tom Flores. So much early promise but after 4 years of throwing far more ints than TDs, Seattle finally showed him the exit door.
I had to look it up - 50 career TDs to 76 ints. His smoke and mirror career earned him over $30M in 12 years, mostly as a backup, so give him props there. He parlayed that into the
Mirror Wine Company joining Drew Bledsoe in the Cabernet business. Cheers!

Sometimes I wonder if BB doesn't put too much stock into what college coaches have to say about their players.
Buddies or not, it's Urban Meyer's job to promote his player, after all. Meyer seemed to do that too much at Florida. In 2010 he steered BB to draft Jermaine Cunningham ahead of Carlos Dunlap and that same year Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez were drafted by BB. Spikes turned out ok as a thumper but he couldn't cover a lick.
Even Saban has steered BB wrong in the past - Cyrus Jones ring a bell?

Sometimes I wonder if BB doesn't put too much stock into what college coaches have to say about their players.
Buddies or not, it's Urban Meyer's job to promote his player, after all. Meyer seemed to do that too much at Florida. In 2010 he steered BB to draft Jermaine Cunningham ahead of Carlos Dunlap and that same year Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez were drafted by BB. Spikes turned out ok as a thumper but he couldn't cover a lick.
Even Saban has steered BB wrong in the past - Cyrus Jones ring a bell?

Lots of first round draft picks don't have successful careers, and the percentages get worse round by round.

Some players look great in college and are easy to coach, but aren't able to make the step up to the next level.

It's one thing to be in your early 20s and compete well against other players in your age group when you're in college.

But for your first two years in the NFL, you're still in your early 20s, and you're competing against fully grown men in their late 20s and early 30s. And not only are they in their prime, they have 6-10 years of experience and guile. And there's new guys coming in the league just behind you, and some of them may be a little bit faster or stronger or perhaps just a little bit quicker to anticipate plays than you are. And if you've made a mistake or two and lost a little bit of confidence, or have some injuries holding you back, your career can be over pretty quickly.

A lot of mocks including yesterday's on NFL network. Have patriots selecting LB parsons from Penn State.
I've been hearing whispers that Parsons has some off-field issues and this is what I found:

PSU FOOTBALL

SI’S MOCK DRAFT CITES ‘OFF-FIELD CONCERNS’ IN DROPPING MICAH PARSONS OUT OF TOP 15​

880214634ad6c5a73a63e8886966df3f

By
Cory Giger
Published
February 23, 2021

Parsons-Micah.jpg

Photo by Penn State Athletics: Micah Parsons
Of all the mock drafts released for months, you’d be hard pressed to find many that don’t have Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons going in the top 10 overall picks. So, it was interesting to see the latest mock draft from Sports Illustrated’s site, NFL Draft Bible, drop Parsons all the way down to the Miami Dolphins with the No. 18 pick.
Even more interesting, though, is the comment written about Parsons in explaining the draft placement. Here is the mock draft, and following is the explanation about Parsons at No. 18, written by NFL Draft Bible president Zack Patraw.
This may look like an unexpected drop but there is something to this. There are plenty of off-field concerns with Micah Parsons that will likely become clear, as we inch closer to the draft season. There’s no doubt that Parsons is one of the most talented individuals in this class but he could be in for a drop in Draft stock.
This seems to be either a really good draft scoop by Patraw about Parsons, or … well, a great deal of speculation.
The phrase “plenty of off-field concerns with Micah Parsons that will likely become clear, as we inch closer to the draft season” sounds like a suggestion that NFL teams could learn of some potentially unflattering details about Parsons in the coming weeks.
There hasn’t been much credence given to off-field concerns in many other mock drafts that have Parsons going in the top 10. So, Patraw either appears to be privy to some information — which he did not come right out and say in his story — about Parsons and his draft stock, or again, he’s merely speculating.

RELATED: See where ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. has Parsons going in his latest mock draft

A lot of this undoubtedly is related to the ongoing Isaiah Humphries lawsuit, which certainly paints Parsons in a bad light.

Parsons does have some things to deal with off the field — and NFL teams will want answers — with regards to that lawsuit brought on by the former PSU player, who eventually transferred to Cal.
Humphries is suing Penn State, James Franklin and former PSU football player Damion Barber in a federal lawsuit, claiming hazing and sexual harassment. Parsons is not a defendant in the lawsuit, but is listed as a party to it.
Parsons and Humphries got into a fight in 2018, according to the lawsuit. We wrote this detailed story about the background in November.
The following excerpt is from ESPN’s story about the situation:

Become a Nittany Pride member for an ad-free experience throughout the site and even more exclusive in-depth content. You can sign up for $3.99 per month or get a yearly subscription for only $38.00.
Humphries told school investigators Barber and Parsons threatened him, telling him they were “making me a b—- because this is prison,” and that Barber said, “I’m gonna Sandusky you,” referring to former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky. He also said they would try to place genitalia close to players’ faces and simulate sex acts, and attempt to touch him in the shower, according to the report. He said the three players would wrestle him to the ground while clad only in their towels.

It is unclear if the NFL Draft Bible mock draft is referring solely to this lawsuit as the “off-field” concern regarding Parsons, or if there are other factors, as well.
Either way, the Sports Illustrated outlet is the only major one so far that has gone out on a limb and suggested Parsons could drop substantially in the draft for any such reason.

Lots of first round draft picks don't have successful careers, and the percentages get worse round by round.
That's the key right there. Percentages actually drop drastically per round. That is why drafting a QB in round one almost always produces a starting caliber QB versus the other rounds.

I would imagine more are chosen in the first round as well, so that would make sense. it would be interesting to see how many became great players vs just average to meh(flacco, eli) and who flamed out vs all other rounds.

That's the key right there. Percentages actually drop drastically per round. That is why drafting a QB in round one almost always produces a starting caliber QB versus the other rounds.
This is a logic flaw. Nothing about percentages dropping yields the result that the percentages of the first round are very high, let alone nearing 100%. The first bolded statement is true even if only 40-50% of first rounders become quality starters.

I don't know the percentage of first round QBs that produce starting quality players but I doubt it is almost every one. Most do become starters because of the money being aid and hope, but many never become starting quality QBs.

Just my thoughts amid flashbacks to Philosophy 101. (Philosophy 401 asks if a starting caliber QB is the same as a starting quality QB.)

Last edited:
This is a logic flaw. Nothing about percentages dropping yields the result that the percentages of the first round are very high, let alone nearing 100%. The first bolded statement is true even if only 40-50% of first rounders become quality starters.

I don't know the percentage of first round QBs that produce starting quality players but I doubt it is almost every one. Most do become starters because of the money being aid and hope, but many never become starting quality QBs.

Just my thoughts amid flashbacks to Philosophy 101. (Philosophy 401 asks if a starting caliber QB is the same as a starting quality QB.)

Agreed. Plus there's also this - worthy of a 1st round pick is different than a 1st round pick. I doubt if Kellen Mond would be more successful if he were taken in the 1st vs being taken in the 5th.

Agreed. Plus there's also this - worthy of a 1st round pick is different than a 1st round pick. I doubt if Kellen Mond would be more successful if he were taken in the 1st vs being taken in the 5th.
that, too :D

I think my post might have been misleading. I was not saying that every first round pick is starting caliber but that the history of the league shows that the majority of the starting caliber QBs in the league were taken in round 1. In other words, QBs drafted later than round 1 fall off precipitously in terms of becoming a quality starter. That does not mean it cannot happen. Heck, we got Brady in round 6 but the odds is what I was talking about.

Back