The 2021 Patriots' Preseason Camp

I get that Chase, Wino, whatever, isn’t always a perfect fit.

I’m no BB fan, but what he does well is finds way to make guys like him work. I have a feeling he’ll stick, and come through when it really counts.
Tompa Boy LOVES him. So all of you little lemmings need to get right in line and do the same. 😂

I love how Wino plays, but watching try to set the edge last year and fail time and time again was pretty crappy. This year he probably won't even get a chance to. I think he might be put in a KVN-esque role and move him around. But then again I've seen KVN set the edge... If not, then he's more than likely getting traded.

I love how Wino plays, but watching try to set the edge last year and fail time and time again was pretty crappy. This year he probably won't even get a chance to. I think he might be put in a KVN-esque role and move him around. But then again I've seen KVN set the edge... If not, then he's more than likely getting traded.

The thing is, Wino has all the tools to play edge well. He is strong and quick and has great hands to shed. The problem with him, as I see it, is that he
is still trying to get the hang of our read-and-react style of D. I'm not saying he's got bad instincts, but he's too aggressive and gives up
his area of responsibility -- sometimes embarrassingly so. I know that he's working on it, because I've seen set a textbook edge, make the stop and then look
over at the sidelines with a big smile, like SEE!!! I CAN TOO DO IT!!!! He did look bad at times, but last year was a total disaster at LB and he probably wasn't
ready for the role he was asked to take on.

He's total wildman, which is why I like watching him, but he's got to mature more and stop trying to make every tackle. He's why Bill says DO YOUR JOB. He tries
to do everybody's.

The schedule for minicamp week:
  • Monday, June 14: Practice (10:45 am ET), media availability
  • 9:30am - HC Bill Belichick 10:45am - practice (open to media) 1:20pm - Hoyer, Stidham, Slater, Adrian Phillips media avail
  • Tuesday, June 15: Practice (TBA), media availability
  • Wednesday, June 16: Practice (TBA), media availability

Last edited:
The schedule for minicamp week:
  • Monday, June 14: Practice (10:45 am ET), media availability
  • 9:30am - HC Bill Belichick 10:45am - practice (open to media) 1:20pm - Hoyer, Stidham, Slater, Adrian Phillips media avail
  • Tuesday, June 15: Practice (TBA), media availability
  • Wednesday, June 16: Practice (TBA), media availability
Thanks Chevs.

Belichick says QB Cam Newton practiced last week and he expects him out there this week.

Very impressive, Chevs. All of those numbers are nuts. He isn't that guy anymore, but he's still
a specimen.

If Newton can turn it around and mount a big comeback in 2021 it would two things to me.

1. Improbable. How actually beat up is that body? Can he be healthy enough to get his stroke back? Some guys
never could throw and some had a big arm and lost it due to wear and tear (see: Manning, Peyton). I
don't know that Cam's issues are chronic or beyond improvement, but I expect his command of the offense to be
noticeably better.

2. Well deserved. As I've said here a dozen times he accepted the challenge of one of the biggest no-win
situations imaginable and he did it almost for free. He won the team over, embraced what it
means to be a Patriot and handled the highs and lows with totally open honesty, intelligence
and maturity. He's a different guy than I thought he was and I'd like to see him get his game back.

What we're talking about here is the NFL version of a Fairy Tale coming true, but it remains a possibility.

If so, it wouldn't be the first one of those we've had around here. Why not another?

Newton's raw stats were always insane. Huge guy with speed, agility etc. But we know raw personal stats was never what it's all about in the NFL.

But for a time, Newton backed it up. We forget how incredible he was in College ball. One of the very few guys to have gotten the better of Saban and his guys. The awards he got in 2010 was off the scale.

Then he broke all kinds of rookie records when he joined the NFL.

Inevitably a player with that style is always going to risk injury and he got him in the end. But for sheer raw talent, there's been very few built better.

Very impressive, Chevs. All of those numbers are nuts. He isn't that guy anymore, but he's still
a specimen.

If Newton can turn it around and mount a big comeback in 2021 it would two things to me.

1. Improbable. How actually beat up is that body? Can he be healthy enough to get his stroke back? Some guys
never could throw and some had a big arm and lost it due to wear and tear (see: Manning, Peyton). I
don't know that Cam's issues are chronic or beyond improvement, but I expect his command of the offense to be
noticeably better.

2. Well deserved. As I've said here a dozen times he accepted the challenge of one of the biggest no-win
situations imaginable and he did it almost for free. He won the team over, embraced what it
means to be a Patriot and handled the highs and lows with totally open honesty, intelligence
and maturity. He's a different guy than I thought he was and I'd like to see him get his game back.

What we're talking about here is the NFL version of a Fairy Tale coming true, but it remains a possibility.

If so, it wouldn't be the first one of those we've had around here. Why not another?

He'd make a helluva TE if he put his mind to it.

I was afraid this would happen. :(

I was afraid this would happen. :(

Negotiations are on-going. Most expected it. $7M for this year isn't enough. We can all see that when Jalen Ramsey is making $20M/.
With his bump last year, his contract averages $13M/ for 4 years. That puts Gilly as the 11th highest paid CB.
My guess is BB knows it and wants him back otherwise he'd have already been traded.

So Jonnu Smith shows up to camp and right off the bat he tweaks his hammy. Hope no one saw him limping even the slightest before he walked on the field.
Dumbass should have been here the last 3 weeks. Just saying...

So Jonnu Smith shows up to camp and right off the bat he tweaks his hammy. Hope no one saw him limping even the slightest before he walked on the field.
Dumbass should have been here the last 3 weeks. Just saying...
Why wasn't he in attendance?

Back