The 2021 Patriots' Preseason Camp

Jeff Howe speculates what a trade for Julio Jones would cost the Pats. At 32, he's still a great WR1 who demands double coverage more often than not. He
would free up the inside guys, TEs and slots, to do their thing more effectively.

New England Patriots

The offer: Receiver N’Keal Harry and a conditional third-round pick that will become a second-rounder if Jones plays at least 15 games.

Jones isn’t playing at a Hall of Fame level anymore, but he can give the Patriots a legitimate threat outside the numbers for an offense that is so heavily geared to dominate the middle of the field with a power running game, tight ends Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith and receivers Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne and Jakobi Meyers.

There’s some obvious injury concern with Jones, and the Patriots frequently execute trades with conditional parameters, so that’s the reason behind that part of the deal. If Jones can’t stay healthy or misses as few as three games, hey, at least they went for it with a third-rounder. If he’s healthy, the second-round pick won’t be missed.

Jones’ cap hit isn’t a big deal. The Patriots could extend his contract and slice it in half. Keeping him in town on a longer basis would be more beneficial to Mac Jones for whenever the first-rounder wins the job.

As for Harry, the Patriots are still waiting for him to pan out. The clock is ticking there, and the addition of Jones would make it incredibly difficult for Harry to win a job out of camp. The Falcons will likely get a second-round offer elsewhere, so the strategy here is that the Falcons might be intrigued by the possibility Harry could improve with a change of scenery. — Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe speculates what a trade for Julio Jones would cost the Pats. At 32, he's still a great WR1 who demands double coverage more often than not. He
would free up the inside guys, TEs and slots, to do their thing more effectively.

New England Patriots

The offer: Receiver N’Keal Harry and a conditional third-round pick that will become a second-rounder if Jones plays at least 15 games.

Jones isn’t playing at a Hall of Fame level anymore, but he can give the Patriots a legitimate threat outside the numbers for an offense that is so heavily geared to dominate the middle of the field with a power running game, tight ends Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith and receivers Nelson Agholor, Kendrick Bourne and Jakobi Meyers.

There’s some obvious injury concern with Jones, and the Patriots frequently execute trades with conditional parameters, so that’s the reason behind that part of the deal. If Jones can’t stay healthy or misses as few as three games, hey, at least they went for it with a third-rounder. If he’s healthy, the second-round pick won’t be missed.

Jones’ cap hit isn’t a big deal. The Patriots could extend his contract and slice it in half. Keeping him in town on a longer basis would be more beneficial to Mac Jones for whenever the first-rounder wins the job.

As for Harry, the Patriots are still waiting for him to pan out. The clock is ticking there, and the addition of Jones would make it incredibly difficult for Harry to win a job out of camp. The Falcons will likely get a second-round offer elsewhere, so the strategy here is that the Falcons might be intrigued by the possibility Harry could improve with a change of scenery. — Jeff Howe
Plus, while it isn't on the level of Tinker to Evers to Chance, Jones to Jones has a nice ring to it.

New England Patriots

The 2 teams I am hearing making the biggest push are the Jets and Eagles. Wonder if they are offering a 2 + a player or a 1.

A interested camp battle will be at FB Vitale, Johnson & Keene. The only other way I see them carrying 4 TE's. Is to keep just 4 WRs & Slater.

Last edited:
A interested camp battle will be at FB Vitale, Johnson & Keene. The only other way I see them carrying 4 TE's. Is to keep just 4 WRs & Slater.
I think this whole TC is going to be awesome. So many new players from FA and the draft. I think there is going to battles everywhere. I am really interested to see how the RB/FB shake out as well as the WRs. I still think we may add a receiver or two in the next few weeks.

I guess Stidham really is that bad..........

It’s hard to accept because we’ve never really seen him outside of a few pregames his first year. He did have a few good moments then, but I remember thinking he’d fall way to far back in the pocket and was asking for a decimating hit. I get that hoyer is partially a coach, but we have coaches for that who don’t count against the final 53. Hopefully he can help get Mac up to speed.

On a side not I really hope we don’t hear much at all about Mac Jones. Let him develop away from prying eyes and huge expectations. Don’t rush him into a starting role. There will be immense pressure to do so, especially with these “glowing” reports.

Phase 3 of voluntary OTAs begins today

Back