The 2021 Patriots' Preseason Camp

Day 2. BB dialed up the pressure

The first 11-on-11 period was noteworthy. The staff pumped up the music to make it harder on the quarterbacks. The defense also brought blitz after blitz. It seemed to hurt Newton, who went 1-of-3 with a near interception (Jalen Mills dropped the pick), and Stidham, who went 0-of-2 in this drill. Jones, however, looked more polished.

In that drill, Jones completed his first five passes in a row – with edge rushers sprinting around him. His final two passes fell incomplete as he went 5-of-7 in that competitive period. Jones did a good job of making the quick read and getting rid of the ball.

Mills was the best defensive player of the day. The versatile defensive back had three pass breakups. Mill was also talking some trash as Jones tested and failed to beat the cornerback on two deep balls in three plays.

Devin McCourty on Gilmore: "I've been talking to him. He's still a part of this team."

Jeff Howe, theAthletic

Story of the day​

Mac Jones was the best quarterback on the field for the second day in a row. And if he wins the job, remember June 15 as the day when the momentum began to shift.

Jones was 17 of 25 and sharp throughout, but two late interceptions will sting. Let’s focus on those first. He underthrew Dalton Keene’s over route, and Dont’a Hightower made a nice leaping interception in his zone to draw a big cheer from the defense. Two plays later, the pass rush slaughtered the backup offensive line to generate too much pressure, and Jones stepped up for a quick throw that was tipped at the line and intercepted by Kyle Van Noy.

The interceptions shouldn’t mar an otherwise impressive morning, but it will be important for Jones to eliminate those mistakes – self-inflicted or otherwise – in the final practice of minicamp. For comparison’s sake, Jarrett Stidham made plenty of nice throws last year during an abbreviated training camp, but two interceptions turned into three more a day later and then a couple more after that. Jones has to avoid that snowball effect.

Jones went second in the rotation throughout the day, but he out-snapped Cam Newton, who was 9 of 17 with an interception. They largely played with similar personnel groups, too.

The Patriots opened in a seven-on-seven period in the red zone, and Newton’s first throw clanged off a paddle at the line. His second was complete to Jakobi Meyers but a late delivery. Jones then took over and completed 5 of 6 passes, hitting Kendrick Bourne on a crosser then Hunter Henry on an arcing touchdown in the back of the end zone over Kyle Dugger. Jones then hit Brandon Bolden on a quick out route, Devin Asiasi for a touchdown against Adrian Phillips on a right out, bounced a ball off the paddle and found Matt LaCosse on a crossing touchdown against Dugger. Very strong opening sequence for Jones.

The Patriots then broke into an interesting protection period, just as they did Monday. Jones worked on one field with the starting offensive line while Newton was on the other field with the backup line. They each competed against a mix of defensive starters, and the goal was for the quarterbacks and linemen to call out the correct protections against the front-seven blitzers. Just as interesting, the Jones field included Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels, Steve Belichick, Matt Patricia and Ernie Adams, so the team’s top evaluators were on full display near the rookie quarterback. (Stidham and Brian Hoyer worked a four-on-four period with the receivers, tight ends and defensive backs.)

The team then broke into an 11-on-11 period, and Newton was 1 of 3. His first throw was too far for Bourne and broken up by Jalen Mills. He then completed a pass to Henry on an over route and was incomplete on a blown screen to Damien Harris. Hard to tell who erred there.

Jones took over and again had more throws, going 5 of 7 in the period. The defense stacked the line with seven players in a line, and Jones called out the protection before quickly hitting Nelson Agholor on an under route. A play later, the defense again tried to create confusion with a picket fence on the line, and Jones quickly hit Agholor on a hitch to the left sideline against Joejuan Williams. Jones then checked down to James White, found Harry on a corner route against a zone coverage and quickly swung a pass left to Tyler Gaffney with Josh Uche barreling in from the blind side. After five consecutive completions, the pressure got to Jones a play later, and a back-footed throw for Harry was broken up by Mills. Jones then misfired to Isaiah Zuber, though the receiver probably should have made the catch on a slant to the end zone.

Stidham then got his first two passes with both falling incomplete. He was 5 of 8 overall and a distant third in the rotation. Hoyer was strictly the scout team quarterback.

Newton and Jones split reps over the final two competitive periods. In seven-on-seven, Newton opened with three consecutive incompletions on balls that were overthrown to Agholor, Henry and Bourne – the last of which was intercepted by Dugger. Newton recovered with a lengthy catch and run to Gunner Olszewski on an over route before checking down to Gaffney and hitting Henry on a drag route.

Jones took over and opened with a checkdown to Bolden with no one open down the field. He then hit Agholor on a hitch to the right before an incompletion to White, who slipped by the sideline. Worse than that, Jones missed Bourne cutting open over the middle on a double move. Zuber next let a deep ball go through his hands against double coverage, which might have otherwise been the play of the day if he caught it. Jones closed the period with a misfire to an open Agholor on a deep throw down the right sideline. Hard to know if Agholor could have tracked it better to the inside for a long completion, but a better throw toward the sideline would have gotten it done.

Next, the team got into an 11-on-11 period, and Newton missed Sony Michel on a screen then hit Kristian Wilkerson on an out route to the left. He then took too long under pressure and would have been sacked in live action but ultimately hit J.J. Taylor. Newton then hit Bolden on an option route, Michel on a screen and shanked a ball to Bourne by the left sideline.

Jones’ four completions in his rotation were solid, hitting Bourne and Harris on out routes, Olszewski on an over route and Michel on an option route, but his period was thwarted by the two picks.

The practice ended with the half-speed two-minute drill. Throws weren’t charted because they weren’t competitive.

Newton targeted Meyers (1 of 1), Bourne (0 of 3, interception), Henry (2 of 3), Harris (0 of 1), Agholor (0 of 1), Olszewski (1 of 1), Gaffney (1 of 1), Michel (1 of 2), Wilkerson (1 of 1), Taylor (1 of 1), Bolden (1 of 1) and hit a paddle.

Jones targeted Bourne (2 of 2), Henry (1 of 1), Bolden (2 of 2), Asiasi (1 of 1), LaCosse (1 of 1), Agholor (3 of 4), White (1 of 2), Harry (1 of 2), Gaffney (1 of 1), Zuber (0 of 2), Meyers (1 of 1), Harris (1 of 1), Olszewski (1 of 1), Keene (0 of 1, interception), Michel (1 of 1), hit a paddle and had a deflected pass intercepted.

The biggest impression this week has been Jones’ decisiveness in the pocket and confidence when pushing it downfield. Since June 4, when Jones checked down on four of his eight completions, the Patriots have had six practices (three open to the media), and his command is growing.

Another interesting point, Jones is 10 of 12 this week when targeting Henry, Agholor, Bourne and Meyers while Newton is 7 of 16 with an interception. Those four targets will be a big part of the passing game, and Jones has hit them with more efficiency in minicamp.

Newton’s accuracy has also remained inconsistent, sailing three passes, shanking one and missing a screen over the final 12 throws. Jones has been more on-point.

The defense is working to make it tough on Jones, too. They were much more aggressive near the line to make him diagnose the rush, and this has been a theme for the past few weeks. Belichick has been testing him mentally, and Jones appears to be holding his own.

So what does it all mean? Jones has been the best quarterback this week, but it will need to continue into August when the Patriots practice in pads, likely with some joint workouts, and play three preseason games. Those will be far more strenuous than non-padded practices in June. That type of atmosphere will also be more conducive to Newton’s ability to make plays with his legs, and that element can’t be discounted.

This week, though, Jones has proven that he is capable of contending for the starting job later this summer.

Remaining observations​

• The Harry injury has to be frustrating because it’s been a theme over the years. Whenever he seems to build momentum in the offseason or training camp, he gets nicked up and misses time, so he can’t afford to miss the minicamp finale. Harry has slimmed down this offseason, too, no longer looking like a move-tight end, and he probably got leaner to reduce the wear and tear.

• Agholor, Bourne and Meyers – in whatever order, and probably more dependent on packages than anything – have been the top three receivers, as expected. Based on the quality of reps, Harry and Olszewski have been next in line with Zuber, Wilkerson and Tre Nixon a bit further away. It’s not an insurmountable deficit – not by any stretch of the imagination.

• Olszewski looks quicker and does a nice job to widen his target radius when running crossing patterns, which is important over the middle of the field. He was an excellent punt returner last season but didn’t offer much offensively. We’ll see how that progress translates to training camp.

• There was a period when Steve Belichick worked with the starting defense while Jerod Mayo led the scout-team defense.

• Mills, who is taking advantage of Stephon Gilmore’s decision to skip minicamp, had three pass breakups and forced another incompletion with tight coverage in team drills.

• Nice to see Smith staying involved despite not participating. He was even shagging balls for tight ends coach Nick Caley during positional drills and spent the entire practice alongside an offensive coach. Obviously, it would have been nicer if Smith didn’t pull his hamstring in his first practice of the offseason, but he was at least present and engaged.

• During a punt period, Hightower stood alongside Belichick and Matt Patricia for several minutes and had each of them cracking up.

• Hightower, who opted out last year, said after practice he always intended to play this season, and any indication otherwise would have been false.

• Devin McCourty said after practice that he expects Gilmore will return to the team. So we’ll see what happens at the start of training camp.

• Rookie Rhamondre Stevenson is getting some hard coaching. As Michel and Harris can attest, that’s the norm in Foxboro for young running backs.

• Van Noy has an interception in back-to-back days, but the pick of Jones was far more difficult as he had to adjust his body back to the ball to scoop the tipped pass. His Monday interception was practically a fair catch from Hoyer’s ill-fated toss.

Next up​

The Patriots return to practice Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. It is their final workout of mandatory minicamp before their summer break. The practice is open to the media but not the public

Seems to me that both Jones and Stidham are ahead of Cam at this point.

Belichick, who has known Adams for over 50 years since they were teammates at Phillips Academy Andover and worked with him on the New York Giants, Browns and Patriots, introduced his old friend Wednesday.

“Before we sign off here, I just wanted to take a couple minutes if I could and just again formally recognize Ernie and the contributions that he’s made to this organization and, frankly, to myself and the league,” Belichick said. “Ernie’s had such a big impact on our success here for the Patriots in so many different ways, from his organization with Scott (Pioli) in the scouting department and the grading scale and so forth to strategic coaching, situationally, game-planning in all three phases of the game — offense, defense, special teams. Team-building, personnel acquisition and so forth. I’ve leaned heavily on Ernie for 21 years here and going back to Cleveland and New York and our relationship which started at Andover over 50 years ago.

“Ernie’s been a great friend. He’s certainly been a great asset to this organization and to me personally, and I think that a lot of the things that he?s done have also been recognized by other coaches and other staffs in the league. There are a lot of people who are doing things that he does for different organizations, but some of the things that he really started and uncovered and showed the value of here. But his versatility and ability to do so many different things and his passion for football is really second to none. This will be his final practice today. We’ll miss him but always welcome him back. Hopefully, he’ll come back and visit us. I’m sure he will. But I just have a personal appreciation for Ernie and all that he?s done, and on behalf of the organization, I want to thank him, as well. Ernie’s one to stay behind the scenes, but we’re going to put him out in front for you this morning.”

Thank you, Chevs. I read all that stuff and appreciate your posting it here.

Lots of meat on that bone, but I guess it's all about Mac at this point.

I'm cautious about certain things, but I'm all in on Jones. I'm not saying he's won the job, but I think
it's clear that he's survived the first wave of challenges well and he'll probably win it by season's open. Bill
and Josh will add layers, but they won't be able to break him and will be left with no choice but to start him.

I will savor the memory of all the experts who looked (or didn't) at his phenomenal season at 'Bama
and decided he was slow-footed, system player with a below-average arm and a low ceiling whose skill guys
carried him. A future bust.

Yeah, all those experts better pretend it was somebody else that said all that shit. They should start
practicing saying with mock outrage "Who???? ME???? Somebody hacked my account!!!!"

I'm not saying the hunt is over yet, but the clock is going to run out on Cam. At this point, I'm starting to wonder whether
he will accept a role getting platoon snaps to stress certain defenses on the ground while Mac debriefs with Josh and plots the
counter-punch. THAT would be interesting.

I'm also excited to hear that Gunner is catching the ball. One thing about him is that he has an explosive spring
out of his cuts not unlike Edelman-- who made a phenomenal career out of exploiting superior acceleration inside of 10 yards.

Some quick thoughts.

Harry's injury is unbelievably frustrating but what can you do. Some guys are just injury prone or unable to play through injuries.
The two TEs being injured is even more frustrating as Henry has a history of injuries and Smith should have been here day one.

Now on to the positives.

Ernie Adams is one cool guy. What a great job he had. I am sure every day his job was interesting trying to figure out ways for the Pats to win. My favorite moment with him was the Do Your Job segment after we beat Seattle where he broke down how they had practiced that exact play on the Butler pick with multiple DBs. Man, is he going to be missed. On a personal level, must also be hard on Bill. I have had a friend for more than 20 years and we also worked together. Bill and Ernie go as far back as anyone probably ever in the NFL. To not see him every day anymore must be emotionally hard.

I am really digging Mills. I really liked that signing as he is so multiple and him getting more reps with Gilmore holding out is a really good thing.

I am really psyched about watching Hightower and Van Noy do their thing again. Them getting so many picks is pretty awesome although it does make me worry even more about our QB situation. But our LB group is by far the most improved from last year.

Cam is saying all the right things but I think he knows the writing is on the wall. It appears Jones is showing enough to beat him out in TC which would be the best news for our 2021 season.

"Inconsistent" yet Stidham has the best completion % in camp so far. He's in there fighting and clawing. You have to like that.
Oh, I am rooting for Stidham. His arm talent seems so natural. i had heard the inconsistent comments from last year ( Evan Lazar).
I do believe the best thing for Stid is to play the games, the lack of practice games last year did not help. To paraphrase from memory what Jordan Palmer said about Stid was "I have never seen an NFL QB with such a limited exposure to NFL style offenses". Palmer is a big fan of Stidham ( and gets paid by Stid as a private QB coach). If Stidham could play a year or two in NFL Europe it may be the best thing for him. (I realize NFL Europe doesn't exist)

James White led the with 8 targets in team drills today as check downs and short passes ruled the day.
He was followed by Kendrick Bourne (6) and Sony Michel, J.J. Taylor and N'Keal Harry, who all had five.

Quietly strong day from Kristian Wilkerson (4/4). I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that Wilkerson might be a nice surprise this summer.

Stidham continues to lead in completion %. Why are media members trying so hard to make it a battle between Cam and Mac?
I haven't given up on Stidham yet.

View: https://twitter.com/_AndrewCallahan/status/1405208594337959937

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but have you noticed that Stidham seems to have changed his throwing motion?

I've seen him play about 7 or so times, so I always thought he had a good-looking stroke, with a normal 3 quarters
delivery, but the clips I've seen this spring -- it seems like he does something different at the top. The ball leaves his hand
at what looks to me like a more overhand delivery. Kind of a Terry Bradshaw thing.

Have you heard anything about him working on a different motion? I know he has been working with the Palmer crew on
the west coast over the past few off-seasons, but I got curious if he's been working on something that might have helped
him have better accuracy or zip on the ball.

I'm not quitting on Stidham, either. He's never had a start or a game plan designed for him and the only action he's been
given in the regular season has been in total garbage time. I've seen him do some interesting things in preseason of his
rookie year, but I don't have any idea why he didn't get more of a chance last season when Cam was out or struggling. It
seemed like he was in Bill's time-out chair.

Back