The 2021 Tokyo Summer Olympics

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming soon. Do you watch?

I just looked up the dates as I figured I would resubscribe to a live streaming service around this time to watch and then have for NFL.

Here is the schedule for headline events...

Olympic schedule​

First Events: July 21-22. Women's football and softball will kick off group stage competition. The first event will be a softball match between Australia and Japan on July 21

July 23 - Opening ceremonies: July 23, 6:55 a.m. ET

July 24 - Day 1 Headline Events: Men's cycling road race, men's sabre in fencing, 3-on-3 basketball makes its Olympic debut

July 25 - Day 2 Headline Events: First swimming finals, skateboarding makes Olympics debut

July 26 - Day 3 Headline Events: Women's 400m freestyle, men's 4x100m freestyle relay, men's gymnastics

July 27 - Day 4 Headline Events: Women's gymnastics team final, men's 100m backstroke, women's 100m breaststroke, first Olympic softball final since 2008

July 28 - Day 5 Headline Events: Olympic surfing medals pending weather, women's 200m freestyle, men's gymnastics all-around final

July 29 - Day 6 Headline Events: Simone Biles' chance to become the first woman to repeat as Olympic all-around champion since 1968. In swimming, Caleb Dressel could take aim at a world record in the 100m freestyle, while Katie Ledecky and Simone Manuel may be part of the 4x200m freestyle relay.

July 30 - Day 7 Headline Events: Women's rowing, BMX racing, women's 100m freestyle final

July 31 - Day 8 Headline Events: Women's track and field 100m, women's tennis singles final, men's 100m butterfly, women's 100m freestyle

August 1 - Day 9 Headline Events: Men's track and field 100m, men's swimming medley replay artistic gymnastics event finals

August 2 - Day 10 Headline Events: Wrestling, women's 100m hurdles, women's floor exercise

August 3 - Day 11 Headline Events: Final day of artistic gymnastics, women's long jump, women's 400m hurdles

August 4 - Day 12 Headline Events: Men's track and field 200m and 800m, women's 400m hurdles, weightlifting concludes

August 5 - Day 13 Headline Events: Men's track and field 400m and 100m hurdles, men's park skateboarding, women's canoe spring

August 6 - Day 14 Headline Events: Women's soccer, women's beach volleyball

August 7 - Day 15 Headline Events: Men's basketball final, Women's water polo final, baseball final, last full day of competition

August 8 - Day 16: Headline Events Olympic marathon, women's basketball final, closing ceremonies

Good thread.

I typically do not watch the Olympics and have little interest in most Summer and Winter games for some reason and it may be irrational, I dunno. There's just something I can't seem to get behind, whether it be the sport itself or many of the athletes involved, the '80 Olympic Hockey team was a whole different beast for me. Tremendous in its implication.

I am absolutely enamored with the pinnacle of human achievement in all areas and the top athletes exemplify it in their chosen fields, it's fuel for the soul but the Olympics have never been that for me. Have to think about that.

That said, I will be watching for 2 reasons.1 is to see it in its 4K glory on my OLED TV and the 2nd is because as I'm growing older I am beginning to appreciate a good many things I didn't in my youth such as certain music, writers, movies, etc.

I hope to catch the fever my relatives have for it.

I always say I won't watch the Olympics, because a lot of the events are just not great to
watch, but I usually end up getting curious and get hooked on it. And it's always fun to mock, say,
the diving competition where you have to give the gold to the person that makes the tiniest splash.

So, this year there are all kinds of restrictions like no crowd at the opening ceremonies, various Covid restrictions and a couple of other
odd things that my brother has been blogging about lately. It doesn't sound great and they should have just rescheduled until they
can do it normally, but maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds.

For instance, protests have been banned from medal ceremonies, which means that it'll be an even
bigger deal than ever, which guarantees more protests, since, what are they gonna do? Arrest people?
Take their medals away?

I don't see myself paying much attention. It's become politicized and it should be about the sports, that's a huge turnoff.
I always liked the winter games much better anyway.

I don't see myself paying much attention. It's become politicized and it should be about the sports, that's a huge turnoff.
I always liked the winter games much better anyway.
As do I. But I really love the Winter X games. So cool.

Cheers

Can't beat the Track and Field events. 100 metres and 1500 metres are always a much watch. I love the distance running when the bell goes for the final lap! Some of the other events they've added over the years are a bit ridiculous like BMX, Rugby 7s, Soccer, Golf, Tennis etc. There's no need for it. And Sailing? Come on now....

The Boxing is almost comically corrupt. They should have just kept it simple. Track and Field and Swimming. Maybe gymnastics because there is a tradition there.

I usually enjoy the track & field, gymnastics, late-round soccer and (of course) women's beach volleyball.

I am not much of a protestor but I support everyone's right to do what they feel necessary, however they feel it necessary, so long as it is done peacefully. However, the backlash that results (from both sides) is a big turnoff for me. If the US women's hammer throw trials were a precursor of things to come, I can see myself tuning out very quickly. Hope that is not the case.

Doubt we will watch much if at all, though on occasion we have been known to catch some of the gymnastic competitions, watching those women throw their bodies around in twists and flips is simply amazing to see. That said, I much prefer the winter games and the hockey competitions.

I will watch the soccer. Mostly the women's team as they are the best in the world. Love watching them perform.

I will watch the soccer. Mostly the women's team as they are the best in the world. Love watching them perform.

True and I loved watching them, too. I will say that it's interesting that our Men's team is way pack in the pack and our
Women's team dominates. It really is beautiful to watch how they control the ball and are able to be creative
and break opponents down while our Men still cave under pressure and just kick it anywhere recklessly and hope for the best.

I do wish Meghan Rapinoe would shut her mouth once in a while, but concede that not everything she says is stupid or has zero merit. She is just
so relentless and prolific with all her complaining about so many aspects of American life and never says a positive word about
anything except how great she and her teammates are. She's the biggest blowhard in sports.

True and I loved watching them, too. I will say that it's interesting that our Men's team is way pack in the pack and our
Women's team dominates. It really is beautiful to watch how they control the ball and are able to be creative
and break opponents down while our Men still cave under pressure and just kick it anywhere recklessly and hope for the best.

I do wish Meghan Rapinoe would shut her mouth once in a while, but concede that not everything she says is stupid or has zero merit. She is just
so relentless and prolific with all her complaining about so many aspects of American life and never says a positive word about
anything except how great she and her teammates are. She's the biggest blowhard in sports.
I love watching them too. I especially love Tobin Heath who has some of the best ball skills you will ever see. I agree about Rapinoe. I find her extremely annoying and hard to listen to. I love her game much the way I love watching Lebron play too but really don't like them off the field/court. I know she is fighting for equal pay and all and I am down with that but her constant bashing of the country is very disappointing.

I do hope the men can make some noise this year. I think the biggest issue for our men's team is our top young male athletes leave soccer to play basketball, football, baseball, etc so our men's team is made up of our B athletes so to speak. The women on the other hand are our best athletes as the girls stay with the soccer over the other sports.

Could NBC's coverage of the Opening Ceremony BE any worse?

On the bright side for the tech nerd in me, I am streaming it in full 4k HDR 60 frames.

I always say I won't watch the Olympics, because a lot of the events are just not great to
watch, but I usually end up getting curious and get hooked on it. And it's always fun to mock, say,
the diving competition where you have to give the gold to the person that makes the tiniest splash.

So, this year there are all kinds of restrictions like no crowd at the opening ceremonies, various Covid restrictions and a couple of other
odd things that my brother has been blogging about lately. It doesn't sound great and they should have just rescheduled until they
can do it normally, but maybe it won't be as bad as it sounds.

For instance, protests have been banned from medal ceremonies, which means that it'll be an even
bigger deal than ever, which guarantees more protests, since, what are they gonna do? Arrest people?
Take their medals away?

IDK. Women's Beach Volleyball is pretty entertaining. ;)

Oh I don't know. I'm not a big basketball fan to begin with, but 3 on 3 on a half court I could see being more entertaining.

Coming soon. Do you watch?

I just looked up the dates as I figured I would resubscribe to a live streaming service around this time to watch and then have for NFL.

Here is the schedule for headline events...

Olympic schedule​

First Events: July 21-22. Women's football and softball will kick off group stage competition. The first event will be a softball match between Australia and Japan on July 21

July 23 - Opening ceremonies: July 23, 6:55 a.m. ET

July 24 - Day 1 Headline Events: Men's cycling road race, men's sabre in fencing, 3-on-3 basketball makes its Olympic debut

July 25 - Day 2 Headline Events: First swimming finals, skateboarding makes Olympics debut

July 26 - Day 3 Headline Events: Women's 400m freestyle, men's 4x100m freestyle relay, men's gymnastics

July 27 - Day 4 Headline Events: Women's gymnastics team final, men's 100m backstroke, women's 100m breaststroke, first Olympic softball final since 2008

July 28 - Day 5 Headline Events: Olympic surfing medals pending weather, women's 200m freestyle, men's gymnastics all-around final

July 29 - Day 6 Headline Events: Simone Biles' chance to become the first woman to repeat as Olympic all-around champion since 1968. In swimming, Caleb Dressel could take aim at a world record in the 100m freestyle, while Katie Ledecky and Simone Manuel may be part of the 4x200m freestyle relay.

July 30 - Day 7 Headline Events: Women's rowing, BMX racing, women's 100m freestyle final

July 31 - Day 8 Headline Events: Women's track and field 100m, women's tennis singles final, men's 100m butterfly, women's 100m freestyle

August 1 - Day 9 Headline Events: Men's track and field 100m, men's swimming medley replay artistic gymnastics event finals

August 2 - Day 10 Headline Events: Wrestling, women's 100m hurdles, women's floor exercise

August 3 - Day 11 Headline Events: Final day of artistic gymnastics, women's long jump, women's 400m hurdles

August 4 - Day 12 Headline Events: Men's track and field 200m and 800m, women's 400m hurdles, weightlifting concludes

August 5 - Day 13 Headline Events: Men's track and field 400m and 100m hurdles, men's park skateboarding, women's canoe spring

August 6 - Day 14 Headline Events: Women's soccer, women's beach volleyball

August 7 - Day 15 Headline Events: Men's basketball final, Women's water polo final, baseball final, last full day of competition

August 8 - Day 16: Headline Events Olympic marathon, women's basketball final, closing ceremonies
Haven't been paying attention What channel?

TIA

Cheers

Boxing use to be one of the highlights, but now the hardly show it.
Instead they show so many dumb events that are like watching turtles mate. I've never watched turtles mate, but I imagine it would be like watching some of those events.

Boxing use to be one of the highlights, but now the hardly show it.
Instead they show so many dumb events that are like watching turtles mate. I've never watched turtles mate, but I imagine it would be like watching some of those events.
you've not seen the turtles. Your not qualified to have your opinion perhaps. I personally see turtles mating as 2 or 3 times more exciting than these dumb events.

Cheers

Back