The 2023 NFL Draft Rounds 4 through 7 4/29/23 12 noon

Sports Illustrated gives pats draft a B-
i know how much draft grades mean 5 minutes after draft just ended :coffee:

Not a guddamned thing.

Grades are given out based on how many recognizable names teams end up with. Nobody goes back and reviews those grades when
the guys have had a reasonable chance to sink or swim so it's all just a good wank session for showing off what Football geniuses they are.

By the way, I gave the Pats an A+

Absolutely. What's particularly galling is that there was a real focus on Special Teams for years, led by Bill.

It's difficult to know what has been going on recently, but things are clearly "off". Last year's Offensive woes were very un Belichick-like.
As I was predicting, it's great that we picked a Kicker and Punter later on.

(Frantically looks for edit button, for previous post).

Not a guddamned thing.

Grades are given out based on how many recognizable names teams end up with. Nobody goes back and reviews those grades when
the guys have had a reasonable chance to sink or swim so it's all just a good wank session for showing off what Football geniuses they are.

I was always happy to get B- in HS. That would make me eligible for sports.

Kind of a rags to riches story as outlined in this article. Not from a poor kid, to rich kid standpoint as he played high school football for Notre Dame prep (not inexpensive for around here), which is about 8 miles due west of where I live here in Michigan. My son played for De La Salle Collegiate and as a result they were competitors in the powerful Central Division of the Detroit Catholic League. We were at every game and quite honestly, I don’t remember him. But who remembers the other team‘s high school punter? Lol.

I have seen him kick multiple times in person the last two years I can tell you that he has a very good leg and can certainly get it down field. The question is, can he get it high enough to allow the coverage to get down field with his punt. Now, that doesn’t matter if he kicks it over the returners head as he did many times In East Lansing and around the B1G. :rofl:
So you're saying that you attended all those MSU games and didn't focus like a laser on the punter?

LSU wasn't exactly thrilled he came back last year, hence his 'diminished production'.
Yes because it was a number of the coaching staff players and himself that where said to have been involved the staff was dismissed but because they could not prove that he and two others did he was permitted to return. However the new coaching staff treated him like a problem child. He has become a father and has rededicated himself to doing the best he can for his family.

What he was accused of was taking part in a sex party not anything that involved the law. BTW it has never been confirmed that he was actually involved.

Rumor from Texas A&M website. Here's the story but I've never seen confirmation Boutte was involved or if any of it actually happened.

You have the Anti BB crowd. Praising The draft . That's a massive accomplishment . He added the Best CB in Draft . Made sure the ST & O-line won't be a embarrassment again.

You have the Anti BB crowd. Praising The draft . That's a massive accomplishment . He added the Best CB in Draft . Made sure the ST & O-line won't be a embarrassment again.

3 of these draftees have P and K return experience.

3 of these draftees have P and K return experience.

While Marcus ended up having an excellent rookie season after a slowish start returning from an offseason injury and was selected as an All-Pro Punt Returner, I
figure Bill might want to see if he can limit his exposure on kicks so that he doesn't have to take as many snaps in all 3 phases or at least get his wind back once in a while.

That might be difficult to do. The best moment of the season for him and the Pats was his 84-yard TD versus the Jets in week 11 with 5 seconds left. You
don't usually want Defensive regulars running back kicks for long, but it makes sense to see if any of the rookies can give us more options to help keep
him on the field.

As an aside, it's interesting to observe the tags prospects get coming out of College and how the "consensus" view determines how these kids are viewed not
only by fans, but it may influence certain teams who are sensitive to public criticism. And you know they are out there.

In his case it was all about his lack of height and how he would be "strictly a slot corner in the NFL" and yet he took most of his rookie snaps playing boundary
Corner and more than held his own due to a well-rounded skillset. His height was not a major impediment.

We tend to view these guys by the labels that get stuck to them along the way and while I hear that stuff, I try to remember that they often don't matter once
the chinstraps go on. Everybody we drafted has a chance to make a career in the League and I can't wait to get a look at them this Summer.

Kind of a rags to riches story as outlined in this article. Not from a poor kid, to rich kid standpoint as he played high school football for Notre Dame prep (not inexpensive for around here), which is about 8 miles due west of where I live here in Michigan. My son played for De La Salle Collegiate and as a result they were competitors in the powerful Central Division of the Detroit Catholic League. We were at every game and quite honestly, I don’t remember him. But who remembers the other team‘s high school punter? Lol.

I have seen him kick multiple times in person the last two years I can tell you that he has a very good leg and can certainly get it down field. The question is, can he get it high enough to allow the coverage to get down field with his punt. Now, that doesn’t matter if he kicks it over the returners head as he did many times In East Lansing and around the B1G. :rofl:

Thanks for some personal observations.

My process for the Draft is to buy the Lindy's Draft guide every year and try to get an idea from their profiles, which are often proved prescient. It's published in late February, so is not
up-to-the-minute, but it's a decent source of information to start to get familiar with the candidates. This year, the profiles had the ring of authority and made observations that were
both understated and NFL savvy. A prospects strengths and weaknesses are detailed and an comparison to professional players is given and sometimes they are not particularly optimistic.
What I'm trying to say is that watching the Draft is like watching a bunch of cheerleaders who say everybody is awesome and I have found these guys tend to be grounded in reality.

This is what they wrote about Baringer-- who was the 3rd of only 3 punters they found worthy of profiling:

Initially committed to Illinois and transferred to walk-on for the Spartans. Was cut prior to the 2019
season, but worked his way back and took off from there. Holds several Michigan State records and is
one of the top punters in the draft.

Strengths: Rocket of a leg with consistent punts travelling over 70 yards. Even when rushed or given
a bad snap delivered quality punts. Leg strength was especially notable at premiere events like the
Senior Bowl, where scouts took notice of his incredible distance.

Weaknesses: Leg strength is next to none, but there is certainly plenty of inconsistency. Technically
speaking, he changes with each attempt. As far as pinning the football, lacks the ability to do so on
a regular basis.

Pro Comp: Logan Cooke, Jaguars -- Cooke was selected in the 7th round and has stuck around for 5
seasons so far. Cooke offers a similar level of leg talent to send punts deep downfield, but can also be
a bit sporadic with his deliveries. Baringer has that same type of talent and inconsistency, but he does have
some issues to iron out.

So, I take that and stuff like you said and start to build a little database on him. Then, when we get to see
him I'll look for issues with placement (from them) and height (from you) and try to determine where he
is at and whether he has moved forward and improved, etc., etc.

Thank you. I sincerely hope that I never have to watch Michael Palardy ever kick for my team again and hope this
kid can help make 2022 just a distant memory.

Yes because it was a number of the coaching staff players and himself that where said to have been involved the staff was dismissed but because they could not prove that he and two others did he was permitted to return. However the new coaching staff treated him like a problem child. He has become a father and has rededicated himself to doing the best he can for his family.
I feel like there's probably good information here. Unfortunately Mrs. Lockwood, my 5th grade language arts teacher, has demanded that the first sentence be taken out back and shot.

Can you please rephrase?

Not a guddamned thing.

Please do not divulge whether or not a wank session was involved in determining that grade.

There is such as thing as TMI.

I feel like there's probably good information here. Unfortunately Mrs. Lockwood, my 5th grade language arts teacher, has demanded that the first sentence be taken out back and shot.

Can you please rephrase?

Are you saying that UT should add "diagramming a sentence" to the Planet's apps?

If that is the case, I'm going to have to use fewer commas or I'm in big trouble.

Thanks for some personal observations.

My process for the Draft is to buy the Lindy's Draft guide every year and try to get an idea from their profiles, which are often proved prescient. It's published in late February, so is not
up-to-the-minute, but it's a decent source of information to start to get familiar with the candidates. This year, the profiles had the ring of authority and made observations that were
both understated and NFL savvy. A prospects strengths and weaknesses are detailed and an comparison to professional players is given and sometimes they are not particularly optimistic.
What I'm trying to say is that watching the Draft is like watching a bunch of cheerleaders who say everybody is awesome and I have found these guys tend to be grounded in reality.

This is what they wrote about Baringer-- who was the 3rd of only 3 punters they found worthy of profiling:

Initially committed to Illinois and transferred to walk-on for the Spartans. Was cut prior to the 2019
season, but worked his way back and took off from there. Holds several Michigan State records and is
one of the top punters in the draft.

Strengths: Rocket of a leg with consistent punts travelling over 70 yards. Even when rushed or given
a bad snap delivered quality punts. Leg strength was especially notable at premiere events like the
Senior Bowl, where scouts took notice of his incredible distance.

Weaknesses: Leg strength is next to none, but there is certainly plenty of inconsistency. Technically
speaking, he changes with each attempt. As far as pinning the football, lacks the ability to do so on
a regular basis.

Pro Comp: Logan Cooke, Jaguars -- Cooke was selected in the 7th round and has stuck around for 5
seasons so far. Cooke offers a similar level of leg talent to send punts deep downfield, but can also be
a bit sporadic with his deliveries. Baringer has that same type of talent and inconsistency, but he does have
some issues to iron out.

So, I take that and stuff like you said and start to build a little database on him. Then, when we get to see
him I'll look for issues with placement (from them) and height (from you) and try to determine where he
is at and whether he has moved forward and improved, etc., etc.

Thank you. I sincerely hope that I never have to watch Michael Palardy ever kick for my team again and hope this
kid can help make 2022 just a distant memory.
I get Lindy's every year. The last couple of years I feel like I'm getting less for more. In their profiles I want a summary at the end, not a comparison to a player long forgotten or one in the CFL.
I think Athlon's is better. I like the big board that they slot every player by round.
On the internet, I find the Huddle Report top 200 to be best of the bunch year after year.

I get Lindy's every year. The last couple of years I feel like I'm getting less for more. In their profiles I want a summary at the end, not a comparison to a player long forgotten or one in the CFL.
I think Athlon's is better. I like the big board that they slot every player by round.
On the internet, I find the Huddle Report top 200 to be best of the bunch year after year.

I used to buy a couple for second opinions, but this year I attempted to do more with less and wait until mid-March before I got into it so as not to waste time.

I still like Lindy's and I think, particularly this year, that the Comps might prove more accurate than a lot of people like to believe, even if some
of the guys that get talked up get compared to XFL or whatever players. I hope to learn, eventually, to view our draftees with realistic expectations and if somebody
exceeds the comps then all the better.

Sometimes it's better to draft a guy that can give you rotational snaps for a while or play on STs than get all excited prematurely.

In general, I don't like premature excitement, if you know what I'm sayin'. :yay2:

Back