The 2023 Playoffs

Curious on that play above, if they had thrown a flag for holding along with the personal foul by Oassai, would they have offset?
I was going to look it up, but.... just thinking about it I'd say "no". otherwise anyhtime there was an obvious flag against one team, the ohter would think it had a free pass at a personal foul and take a cheap shot
plus I think I've seen this come up in a game before and the personal foul still stood.

FnzpJKBagAATWJK

I was going to look it up, but.... just thinking about it I'd say "no". otherwise anyhtime there was an obvious flag against one team, the ohter would think it had a free pass at a personal foul and take a cheap shot
plus I think I've seen this come up in a game before and the personal foul still stood.
The reason I asked is because I've seen them offset quite a few times and I always thought that the more egregious penalty would win over the lesser and it never did. As for the team that wasn't flagged having a chance at a cheap shot against the flagged team, why would they do something like that knowing they are going to move the ball downfield regardless of how the play pans out, that's a pretty stupid thing to do IMO.

The reason I asked is because I've seen them offset quite a few times and I always thought that the more egregious penalty would win over the lesser and it never did. As for the team that wasn't flagged having a chance at a cheap shot against the flagged team, why would they do something like that knowing they are going to move the ball downfield regardless of how the play pans out, that's a pretty stupid thing to do IMO.
I meant that say the D jumps offsides and it's a "free play" for the offense. the obvious first thing they try to do if the qb/wr realize is a bomb.... but what if an O-lineman decides that's a good time to commit a personal foul on a D guy knowing they'd "offset". I know you give up the potential gain if the play works, and there might be a better example then that, but I assume this is why some penalties are automatic first downs... if it's 3rd and 20 then committing a 15yrd personal foul or holding up a receiver only got the yards and doesn't give an auto first they might be more willing to try it. it's still something a player might do in the heat of the game, even though it may not be wise to do it.

just thinking out loud

Rumors: People around the league believe that the officiating is “the worst that it’s been in a long time, maybe ever” per @AdamSchefter

“The league knows it has an issue on it’s hands.” (Schefter via the PatMcAfeeShow)

Rumors: People around the league believe that the officiating is “the worst that it’s been in a long time, maybe ever” per @AdamSchefter

“The league knows it has an issue on it’s hands.” (Schefter via the PatMcAfeeShow)
Bullshit. "The officiating" isn't the problem. The edicts from the league office are.

While other pro leagues can review plays instantly from 10 different camera angles, the NFL still operates like it’s 1985. Maybe on purpose since it’s all fake or outcomes are influenced

That penalty was clearly justified, I have heard (but not seen) of other questionable calls. Of course there is people who always says that so I don’t know if any were bad calls. Also the refs are not going to call every penalty also. There is probably holding on every play in some way.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10063607-tom-brady-says-nfl-referees-could-call-holding-penalty-on-every-single-play

A pretty good source backs that up, though I think it begs the question of whether there are certain selective situations where the calls are more likely to be made. There's some fans for every team who bitch about being victimized (non-Pats fans have carried on about the tuck rule call for decades now).

Maybe it already exists, but I think it would be a cool podcast for a nonbiased panel to break down the film of all penalty calls and look for patterns. It could be kind of like the movie Eight Men Out where they get together and go over their notes on the 1919 world series.

Last edited:
Also the refs are not going to call every penalty also. There is probably holding on every play in some way.
You know what would stop holding on every play? Calling it every time. Players would adjust to that and it would happen a lot less and allow the refs to be more consistent. Just like illegal contact past 5 yards which used to happen to the point of ridiculousness, until they started calling it. Of course the league was all for enforcing that rule because it made offenses better, which is exactly why they won't call more holding penalties.

Who keeps track of this stuff really? Does anyone actually remember how good or bad the refs were in say 2019? Maybe I'm just admitting how bad my memory is. All I remember is from 2001-2017 and hearing about every single call or non-call going the Patriots way according to every non-Patriot fan.

The game has been compromised by the gambling. I mean we all have to be real here. Once the betting became legal, this was always going to be the result - shady reffing to ensure scores/winners line up for the money to flow. The refs did not all of a sudden forget how to ref, they are being paid off.

You know what would stop holding on every play? Calling it every time. Players would adjust to that and it would happen a lot less and allow the refs to be more consistent. Just like illegal contact past 5 yards which used to happen to the point of ridiculousness, until they started calling it. Of course the league was all for enforcing that rule because it made offenses better, which is exactly why they won't call more holding penalties.
I hear ya, but at same time nothing ruins the flow of the game like constant penalties. in some mythical "perfect world" they wouldn't call every ticky-tack penalty but would also be fair and call it the same on both teams. the old "let 'em play" has to be for both sides.
I thought in preseason and the first few games they try to call it more to get the players to adjust to the rules, but then ease off as season goes on? it's inconsistent regardless

I think we as fans will just have live with this (or stop watching).

or...they could do what bb says and let everything be reviewable, but no more challenges given. why they refuse to consider that is baffling. then the burden is off refs and onto teams and their staffs.

or...they could do what bb says and let everything be reviewable, but no more challenges given. why they refuse to consider that is baffling. then the burden is off refs and onto teams and their staffs.
Exactly, with in 15 secs we get a reply on our TV and we can see what has was and wasnt called. make the correct calls or non calls and move on. either that or get rid of alot of these high Tech camera angles so we can see whats really happening :)

During the Eagle, San Fran game I said my husband on the fabulous one handed “catch”. by the eagles was dropped ie it the ground and then he regained possession.... the refs called it a catch. I couldn’t figure out why Shannan didn’t challenge it. Hubby said I was wrong until he saw the replay and agreed he had not completed the catch.

It’s was awful day of horrible calls and non calls.

~Dee~

Back