The 2023 Playoffs

Can't wait to hear Kyle Van Noy talk about what a great coach Staley is after this one. :coffee:

Hot seat. Coaches have been fired for less.

At the same time I've added to my doubts about Herbert which began last year.

Give the Jags credit - it's the largest postseason comeback since 28-3 and 3rd largest playoff comeback in NFL Hx. Lawrence began the game horribly but righted his own mental ship quick enough to win. I give him and Pederson kudos for that.

Give the Jags credit - it's the largest postseason comeback since 28-3 and 3rd largest playoff comeback in NFL Hx. Lawrence began the game horribly but righted his own mental ship quick enough to win. I give him and Pederson kudos for that.
Chargers helped by changing from their press man scheme too, but Pederson deserves credit in shortening routes and maximizing blockers

Turn the ball over 5 times, when the other team has zero turnovers, and you still win? That's not the way it's supposed to work, x2 in the playoffs.

Watching both of those games made me think about how often other teams, typically top-tier teams, use scheme to break guys
wiiiiide open. We seldom saw any Patriot wide open in 2022, but that's what good teams do. Get guys in green grass for
chunk plays.

I mean, if you're playing SF you have to cover Deebo Samuel, don't you? How can a decent Seattle D lose him entirely on multiple
occasions? I believe the answer lies at the junction of talented players and talented coaches getting over on their counterparts. Simple.

The Niners played chess, not checkers as what we were forced to stomach for 17 straight games. The other guys knew exactly what
we were trying to do regularly and shut it down.

Criticizing Matt Patricia for being a talentless play designer/caller is so easy that I almost hate doing it, but looking around the league
hurts when you see a system that is so good that it makes Brock Purdy, who is not exactly a flamethrower, look like a cagey
veteran who can serve up a 330 burger with 3 TDs in a playoff game.

Watching both of those games made me think about how often other teams, typically top-tier teams, use scheme to break guys
wiiiiide open. We seldom saw any Patriot wide open in 2022, but that's what good teams do. Get guys in green grass for
chunk plays.

I mean, if you're playing SF you have to cover Deebo Samuel, don't you? How can a decent Seattle D lose him entirely on multiple
occasions? I believe the answer lies at the junction of talented players and talented coaches getting over on their counterparts. Simple.

The Niners played chess, not checkers as what we were forced to stomach for 17 straight games. The other guys knew exactly what

Criticizing Matt Patricia for being a talentless play designer/caller is so easy that I almost hate doing it, but looking around the league
hurts when you see a system that is so good that it makes Brock Purdy, who is not exactly a flamethrower, look like a cagey

You nailed it. Even I am tired of talking about Patricia's tic-tac-toe game plans.

Actually, I don't think he even had game plans.

Brady had Weiss to guide him in the early years and the benefit was clear. We need a cagey vet OC (BoB) that can walk in the door and own the offensive room; command it and be respected. Most of us here have played and coached and if you have you know exactly what I mean. The Patriots had the opposite. No one wants to be "lead" by someone that you don't respect for their ability to do the job. Such a huge miss by Belichick last season.

chunk plays.

Purdy has made Trey Lance obsolete.

Pederson schemes chess with the Jags in the same way. Here he schemes to beat quarters coverage and Lawrence doesn't throw another int.
Beautifully designed to scheme a guy wide open.
The actual play begins 27 secs into the video.

View: https://twitter.com/TheHonestNFL/status/1614622171774558211

View: https://twitter.com/TheHonestNFL/status/1614501067219415040

chunk plays.

absolutely

Good play design can get guys WIDE open. the 49ers are so good at this. many times the receiver is wide open by 10 yards and set up perfectly for yards after the catch. It’s also jarring compared to the Pats offense how often the 49ers used presnap motion or always had some sort of misdirection on almost every play. They really keep the opposing defense on their toes

ya i'm not a lawrence girl, but i don't think i've ever seen a qb turn it around like that within a game. inpressive by him. still can't figure out why philly fired peterson. mc coy has to be loving this.
Russell Wilson survived 4 INT's to come back and beat Green Bay in the NFCCG leading up to Super Bowl XLIX.

Playing Ekeler, Allen and Mike Williams (who was badly injured) full reps in a meaningless week 18 game also looms large. Bolts ended up with 3 healthy WR's by game's end last night. Not surprising, Allen and Gerald Everett caught half of Herbert's completions. Iconic loss for a historically mediocre franchise. I think they bring Staley back though.
Chargers helped by changing from their press man scheme too, but Pederson deserves credit in shortening routes and maximizing blockers
Yup. Tried backing their way into the win. Dangerous, stupid and even gutless. That's how you loose your locker room, coach.

From what I understand, the Chargers did an awful job of clock management.With the big lead, they ran plays with plenty of time on the play clock, and only had 10 running plays in the entire second half.

Conor Orrs article on the Niners back when Jimmy G got injured called this. He said the Niners would be fine because the SF system does not put huge pressure on the QB, so any QB can slot in seamlessly. Shanny and Lynch have collected players who are monsters after the catch.

The article is a couple of pages in on this thread, but here is the crucial part. Basically, the outrageous talent on offense SF has, sees them with the ability to play multiple positions, so they are a nightmare to cover. Will Deebo start in the backfield and run the ball, or will he spring free out at hash marks like he did yesterday and goes up the sideline for the TD? OK, you cover Deebo and Aiyuk, but you're also watching where McCaffrey is and Mitchell; but wait, where's Kittle???!

Hawg, you said it, Shanny is playing chess at the moment. Carroll did his best in that 1st half, and they really competed to their huge credit. But a few adjustments at the half and it became a cakewalk. He's a real offensive guru at the moment. Plus, of course, they have a stellar O Line as well.

And, what's really relevant for the playoffs, is they also happen to have the best defence in football!!! Like all the best players Bosa has a habit of making. huge plays every game when they're really needed. Can any team stop them now? Could Allen or Mahomes or Burrow lead their teams to a win against them? I'm not seeing it.

Imagine if you knew Nick Foles or Case Keenum were going to tear up the NFC playoffs early in the 2017 season. The 49ers are going to do the same thing with their third-string quarterback, the guy who was picked dead last in the 2022 draft out of Iowa State. Back on Monday following Week 12, we wrote that the 49ers were among the most brilliant teams in football for building a quarterback-neutral offense at the perfect time in NFL history. The loss of Garoppolo doesn’t change our belief in its potential successes. It only deepens our belief that this is true.

For the Cliffs Notes version: At a time when attrition rates are high, teams are rarely starting their best 11 defenders, players are missing tackles at a higher percentage than ever and defenses are guarding against deep passes, leaving the check-down areas wide open for enterprising coaches and quarterbacks. The 49ers have assembled the best group of players to rack up yards after catch in the modern NFL. Deebo Samuel, George Kittle, Christian McCaffrey, Kyle Juszczyk and Brandon Aiyuk are all incredibly fast and incredibly physical, and they all play multiple positions, which gives them a slight edge in creating openings to receive shorter passes out of the backfield.

The 49ers don’t ask their quarterbacks to do nothing, but they do take an awful lot of the grunt work and leave it to their skill-position players.

Back