The 2024 Draft

Watching the Senior Bowl there were a couple of guys that stood out to me, none of whom were
OTs. If I had to pick one it'd be Kingsley Sumatia, but he's far from what we need for next year and if
we could get Brandon Coleman on day 3 I'd be OK with that, but we need much more than we can likely get.

I'm high on Ladd McConkey, but if he doesn't work out McCaffrey's little brother looks like he can play, too. Either would
be a decent bet to help us really soon. The one guy I definitely don't want us to draft as a receiver is Devontez Walker from
UNC whose knees buckled and he lost control of his arms every time the ball got near him. Think of that long bomb to Tyquan
Thornton late in the season and you'll get the picture.

We could do worse than expend a day 3 pick on Cody Schrader, who just refuses to be tackled, but I'm going to pass on Dylan Laube as a
try-hard kid who just has an uphill climb to be an NFL player. I've seen him mocked to us lately, but I don't think so.

Braden Fiske is a really good prospect as a big, fast DT that can play any style and he's hard to block. The other defender that looked
impressive was Edge guy Marshawn Kneeland who might be a day 3 type.

I took kicker Karty from Stanford in my latest mock draft, just because I can't stand the thought of watching last year's reach
missing every other kick and Karty nailed a 52-yarder with 10 yards to spare. We've can't go into the season thinking that Ryland
is going to straighten himself out or should at least hedge our bets.

Tennessee QB Joe Milton is very impressive to the eye. He's huge and a very smooth athlete who throws absolute ropes, but he
doesn't have a clue how to play the position yet. He's a a major project, yet every once in a while he does something amazing making you
want to forget all the times he bails out of the pocket in panic or goes spastic trying to hit a check down. I'm really curious to see where
he gets drafted, because somebody will waste a pick on him.

Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman is a really classy guy that is everything you want your QB to be except that he can't throw worth a damn and
his field vision is poor. Fuck, is that dude handsome, though. Maybe the NFL's loss will be television's gain.

Troy Brown was the OC of the American squad and they scored a TD on their sharp opening drive and never scored another point.

Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman is a really classy guy that is everything you want your QB to be except that he can't throw worth a damn and
his field vision is poor. Fuck, is that dude handsome, though. Maybe the NFL's loss will be television's gain.
sammy garappolo
he is hot though,you are right.
thanks for the recap.
1707008346594.png

Mike Renner ranks the QBs (a month ago)

Maye= more athletic Rothesberger. Top 5 pick.

Williams = bigger Kyler Murray with a stronger arm, Top 5

Bo Nix = smarter Zach Wilson, very talented, Top 5

Jayden Daniels= RG3, Round 1 grade

JJ McCarthy =more accurate Christian Ponder, Round 1 grade, only has a fast ball and no other throws

Penix= Ryan Fitzpatrick, Round 2, accuracy could be better.

JJ McCarthy =more accurate Christian Ponder, Round 1 grade, only has a fast ball and no other throws

I've seen several respected draft "experts" comp Maye to Josh Allen. Big arm, big body, athletic but makes 2 meatheaded decisions in almost every game.

Tennessee QB Joe Milton is very impressive to the eye. He's huge and a very smooth athlete who throws absolute ropes, but he
doesn't have a clue how to play the position yet. He's a a major project, yet every once in a while he does something amazing making you
want to forget all the times he bails out of the pocket in panic or goes spastic trying to hit a check down. I'm really curious to see where
he gets drafted, because somebody will waste a pick on him.

Milton is an awesome dude, but has no awareness and is really a likable and hard-working JaMarcus Russell. Sexy measurables, but Joe couldn't figure it out at the college level and I have a hard time seeing him develop in the pros. Rooting for him, though.

JJ McCarthy is anything but a fastball only guy. He is a natural leader, has incredible accuracy and touch, can make every throw and makes plays with his feet. That he wasn't asked to carry the team and was OK doing what it takes to win the title and steady the team isn't a knock. I view JJ, Nix, Penix, and Daniels as the best in this draft. (No order.)

And it’s what I’d be slightly alarmed at Hoge’s analysis of Williams. Saying he’s a 4th rounder. If Chicago takes him, should we pounce for Fields? The more you look at it the more you realise there are no superstar QBs in this draft, there are no franchise QBs.

And it’s what I’d be slightly alarmed at Hoge’s analysis of Williams. Saying he’s a 4th rounder. If Chicago takes him, should we pounce for Fields? The more you look at it the more you realise there are no superstar QBs in this draft, there are no franchise QBs.

No to Fields....if he is FA and you can talk him in to coming sure....but trading actual draft picks for him, then having to sign him to a 5th year worth 22million? No.

Plus I’m not sure that Fields has ever even played a full season.

Whatever they do, the Patriots should not panic and pick a QB at 3 if they have any doubts. If they are 100% diligent and they have been analysing these QBs for some time and gotten the opinion of the experts and talked to these QBs and worked them, and if they have any doubts after that that one of those QBs could not be their guy, even with a lot of work; then don't take a QB.

Hoge is a broken clock dew…

Seeing a lot of mock drafts from experts have the Pats taking Drake Maye.

Here's his scouting report from PFF. He's 3rd on their top 100 list after Caleb Williams and MHJ. His comp is Josh Allen but Maye has better accuracy than Allen did coming out.

PFF grades and stats

• 90.6 overall PFF grade
  • 7.5% big-time throw percentage
  • 1.9 turnover-worthy throw percentage
  • 75.1 adjusted completion percentage
  • 19.6% pressure-to-sack ratio
  • 92.4 PFF clean pocket grade
  • 63.5 PFF under pressure grade

Background

Drake Maye is a 21-year-old, 6-foot-4 and 230-pound quarterback from the University of North Carolina. He took over as the starter for UNC in 2022 after former starter, Sam Howell, left for the draft. He led the Tar Heels to a 9-5 record and an ACC Championship game appearance in his first year. In 2023, Maye led them to an 8-4 record in the 2023 season before declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft.

Strengths

Maye possesses an elite arm that allows him to get the ball to his desired target despite not being in the best throwing position. Arm strength isn’t all about how far one can throw the ball, as the velocity that they throw with is just as important. Maye has that velocity that allows him to fit the ball into tight windows.

He’s shown an elite ability to operate in the middle of the field. He had a 94.8 PFF passing grade on throws in between the college hashes, which led all FBS quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts. To be a consistent passer over the middle of the field, quarterbacks need to be on time with their progressions, and Maye can do that at a consistently high level. He knows how to hold underneath defenders with his eyes while throwing the ball right behind them with good anticipation.

Maye is not just a sneaky good athlete, he’s a great athlete. When the play breaks down, he can still succeed, but he doesn’t rely on it. That playmaking ability can be very chaotic at times, leading to plays you don’t normally see on a football field.

Weaknesses

There’s a downside to that chaotic playmaking ability that shows up all too often. Maye makes too many poor decisions in those chaotic times that lead to turnover-worthy plays that can easily be avoided. He needs to find that fine line while not getting rid of that playmaking mindset.

Consistent accuracy is also a slight problem. His 75.1% adjusted completion percentage ranked only 25th best in the FBS. Throws can sail on him at times due to poor footwork. While he has shown the ability to be accurate on off-platform throws, his consistency on the easy throws is an issue. There are too many examples of him missing simple throws from the pocket.

A big problem for a lot of young quarterbacks is how they deal with pressure. Maye had a 19.6% pressure-to-sack rate last season, which is on the higher side of where you would like your quarterback to be. For example, the best quarterbacks in the NFL hover right around a 10-15% rate of turning pressure into sacks. It’s an area Maye will need to improve on to be successful. There are still too many moments of him scrambling into pressure that then turn into sacks.

Summary

Overall, there’s a lot to really like about Drake Maye’s game. He’s shown an ability to process plays at a high level from the pocket while also being able to make plays outside of the pocket. He’s a prototypical new-age quarterback who isn’t reliant on one set of skills. He has the toolbox that every NFL franchise is looking for. There’s an obvious maturation process that he needs to go through in terms of understanding what he can and can’t get away with at the NFL level, but that’s where good coaching comes into play. With the right coaching, I could see Maye being talked about as a future top-10 quarterback in the NFL.

Where to draft him: Top-five pick​

Seeing a lot of mock drafts from experts have the Pats taking Drake Maye.

Here's his scouting report from PFF. He's 3rd on their top 100 list after Caleb Williams and MHJ. His comp is Josh Allen but Maye has better accuracy than Allen did coming out.

PFF grades and stats

• 90.6 overall PFF grade
  • 7.5% big-time throw percentage
  • 1.9 turnover-worthy throw percentage
  • 75.1 adjusted completion percentage
  • 19.6% pressure-to-sack ratio
  • 92.4 PFF clean pocket grade
  • 63.5 PFF under pressure grade

Background

Drake Maye is a 21-year-old, 6-foot-4 and 230-pound quarterback from the University of North Carolina. He took over as the starter for UNC in 2022 after former starter, Sam Howell, left for the draft. He led the Tar Heels to a 9-5 record and an ACC Championship game appearance in his first year. In 2023, Maye led them to an 8-4 record in the 2023 season before declaring for the 2024 NFL Draft.

Strengths

Maye possesses an elite arm that allows him to get the ball to his desired target despite not being in the best throwing position. Arm strength isn’t all about how far one can throw the ball, as the velocity that they throw with is just as important. Maye has that velocity that allows him to fit the ball into tight windows.

He’s shown an elite ability to operate in the middle of the field. He had a 94.8 PFF passing grade on throws in between the college hashes, which led all FBS quarterbacks with at least 50 attempts. To be a consistent passer over the middle of the field, quarterbacks need to be on time with their progressions, and Maye can do that at a consistently high level. He knows how to hold underneath defenders with his eyes while throwing the ball right behind them with good anticipation.

Maye is not just a sneaky good athlete, he’s a great athlete. When the play breaks down, he can still succeed, but he doesn’t rely on it. That playmaking ability can be very chaotic at times, leading to plays you don’t normally see on a football field.

Weaknesses

There’s a downside to that chaotic playmaking ability that shows up all too often. Maye makes too many poor decisions in those chaotic times that lead to turnover-worthy plays that can easily be avoided. He needs to find that fine line while not getting rid of that playmaking mindset.

Consistent accuracy is also a slight problem. His 75.1% adjusted completion percentage ranked only 25th best in the FBS. Throws can sail on him at times due to poor footwork. While he has shown the ability to be accurate on off-platform throws, his consistency on the easy throws is an issue. There are too many examples of him missing simple throws from the pocket.

A big problem for a lot of young quarterbacks is how they deal with pressure. Maye had a 19.6% pressure-to-sack rate last season, which is on the higher side of where you would like your quarterback to be. For example, the best quarterbacks in the NFL hover right around a 10-15% rate of turning pressure into sacks. It’s an area Maye will need to improve on to be successful. There are still too many moments of him scrambling into pressure that then turn into sacks.

Summary

Overall, there’s a lot to really like about Drake Maye’s game. He’s shown an ability to process plays at a high level from the pocket while also being able to make plays outside of the pocket. He’s a prototypical new-age quarterback who isn’t reliant on one set of skills. He has the toolbox that every NFL franchise is looking for. There’s an obvious maturation process that he needs to go through in terms of understanding what he can and can’t get away with at the NFL level, but that’s where good coaching comes into play. With the right coaching, I could see Maye being talked about as a future top-10 quarterback in the NFL.

Where to draft him: Top-five pick​

I would love it, I just can't see at this point why DC would pass on him.

Whatever they do, the Patriots should not panic and pick a QB at 3 if they have any doubts. If they are 100% diligent and they have been analysing these QBs for some time and gotten the opinion of the experts and talked to these QBs and worked them, and if they have any doubts after that that one of those QBs could not be their guy, even with a lot of work; then don't take a QB.
I am fine if we take Marvin Harrison JR at #3. I don't want us forcing that pick into a QB if we don't feel 100 percent. Again, I would back up the truck and pay Mayfield. He is only 28 and reports are he is unhappy with the OC change in Washington.

I am fine if we take Marvin Harrison JR at #3. I don't want us forcing that pick into a QB if we don't feel 100 percent. Again, I would back up the truck and pay Mayfield. He is only 28 and reports are he is unhappy with the OC change in Washington.
why would Mayfield care what OC is in washington?

Back