The age of the Pat is NOT over. The time of the Chief...has NOT begun.

Exactly my point! I will be the first to admit he is great if he does this another couple seasons. I'm not rooting against the guy at all. Hell I actually like watching him play. My point is, Chiefs fans are so over the top excited..... what are they going to do if he even has an average season next year let alone a bad one like Dak had with Dallas in his second season as a starter? Yikes.

If you hold out two more seasons, according to Clay and Hogforker, you wonn't be anywhere near the first to admit. :shrug:

you can turn in your man card now...
he wrote some great commercials and theme songs for TV shows.... You know you want a weekend in New England, tired of being to be the One Voice in the neighborhood preaching the Pats!! Even Now you are ready to take a chance, point to the scoreboard and shout Read 'm and weep!!!

Why does anybody need to draft "elite" talent over and over? We don't.
because they can not coach up the players, they need players to raise the coach - See Tomlin and his twin Reid

As far as Mahomes go, I'm in the minority here -- he's clearly a special talent and is years ahead of the curve in instincts and intelligence.
oh he is good "but lets not put him in Canton yet"

The bottom line is that Belichick is the best of all time when it comes to identifying weaknesses to attack or take advantage of, but I'm pretty sure he's been reaching for the Advil a lot this week, because you can't just pin him in the pocket like we do with a lot of the young, quick QBs. Mahomes is great at everything he tries.

Insane level of excellence. He scares the living shit out of me and that's the truth.

You've got a great team and they're going to be really hard to beat Sunday night. No doubt about it in my mind.

Much respect, but you'd be foolish to get cocky about the team that is coming your way. Believe all the "experts" telling everybody that we're weaker than in past years (read: wishful thinking) all you want.

Every Chiefs fan should have a little voice of doubt inside them right about now because we're pretty goddamned good at winning games like this.
they are pooping themselves

Why does anybody need to draft "elite" talent over and over? We don't.

Everybody we beat has more superstars than we do, because this is a salary cap league and Belichick has identified the best way to sustain excellence is to have a roster core made up of what I like to call "upper middle class" players. That is the little understood secret to why we're always good. We often trade down and draft 2nd rounders to be our core guys, at least we frequently do and they are easier signs than the premium, high 1st, world shakers. We beat people with a preponderance of solid, versatile talent, not glamour boys.

As far as Mahomes go, I'm in the minority here -- he's clearly a special talent and is years ahead of the curve in instincts and intelligence. His physical skills are ridiculous. He's like Russell Wilson squared, but it's his ability to play it any way he needs to that sets him apart. He can beat you in the pocket or out, by scheme or go to street ball on the fly. He runs smart and doesn't take a lot of hard shots. All the unique throws are the sizzle, but the dude has plenty of steak, too. He sees the fucking field at a very high level for somebody his age.

The bottom line is that Belichick is the best of all time when it comes to identifying weaknesses to attack or take advantage of, but I'm pretty sure he's been reaching for the Advil a lot this week, because you can't just pin him in the pocket like we do with a lot of the young, quick QBs. Mahomes is great at everything he tries.

Insane level of excellence. He scares the living shit out of me and that's the truth.

You've got a great team and they're going to be really hard to beat Sunday night. No doubt about it in my mind.

Much respect, but you'd be foolish to get cocky about the team that is coming your way. Believe all the "experts" telling everybody that we're weaker than in past years (read: wishful thinking) all you want.

Every Chiefs fan should have a little voice of doubt inside them right about now because we're pretty goddamned good at winning games like this.

Excellent post and my sentiments exactly.

If you hold out two more seasons, according to Clay and Hogforker, you wonn't be anywhere near the first to admit. :shrug:

Maybe they are so hell bent on wanting everyone to say how amazing he is, because they are scared he won't be as good in his second season? Truly astonishing fan base they are. I have never seen another fan base get so hung up on a qb their first season as this Chiefs fan base has. I hope he doesn't disappoint them next season. May be a lot of suicides in Kansas City.

he wrote some great commercials and theme songs for TV shows.... You know you want a weekend in New England, tired of being to be the One Voice in the neighborhood preaching the Pats!! Even Now you are ready to take a chance, point to the scoreboard and shout Read 'm and weep!!!

Looks Like We Made It to another AFCCG, All the Time we thought the Pats weren't that good, Could It Be Magic or just Brady being Brady? I'm Ready to Take a Chance Again and root for them to win on the road. You Deserve a Break Today so go out and get away to McDonald's

that's the crazy thing...I'm not. On my street alone there are 3 other households of Pats fans. Half the kids Jr grew up with are Pats fans. Where I live, you can't throw a rock or turn around without hitting a Pats fan.

that's the crazy thing...I'm not. On my street alone there are 3 other households of Pats fans. Half the kids Jr grew up with are Pats fans. Where I live, you can't throw a rock or turn around without hitting a Pats fan.
You my friend, have been blessed to live on an Oasis in Hell!!!

Looks Like We Made It to another AFCCG, All the Time we thought the Pats weren't that good, Could It Be Magic or just Brady being Brady?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NRY3aKx8bKg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wish.... Except with the Red Sox...... All these Jays fans here (obviously as I live in Canada) are insane. In the 2 seasons they made the playoffs every single person nearly in this city had a Jays hat or jersey.... They have been relatively quiet the last couple years though lol.

He took an incredibly banged up defense that was last in the league statistically to a 1 seed.

He's one of three players in NFL history to throw for 50 tds and 5k yards, and he did it in his first season as a starter.

Pretty sure he'll be fine.

Are you being for real? I’ve seen this three times already in a three year span. 2010-2012 Patriots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you missed the point 305 made. Let's suppose you're the GM of the Chiefs.

Your 2018 season has gone swimmingly because of a number of draft choices from 2-4 yrs ago that worked out sensationally as well a few 1 year deals on aging but trusted veterans. It's 2019 now and you have some important decisions to make regarding ERFAs, RFAs and UFAs.

ERFAs, 6: Generally a bargain to bring back so most teams do if the player has shown some ability.

K Harrison Butker. Here's a guy you have to think about giving a long term deal at $3-4M/ if he'll take it. The alternative is to sign him to a 1 year prove it again deal risking that his price goes even higher.

The other 5 ERFAs are roster roundout bodies you may as well keep (cheap) knowing they may not make it out of training camp but, hey, you may find another keeper.

RFAs, 2: This group usually requires a little more thought than the ERFAs. By now you know the players who can help the team win. Your job is to decide if they are worth the money they'll cost.

LB Terrance Smith. Showed good ability and contributed until his ACL tear in 2018. Are you putting a tender on him? A low tender or a high tender?
S Jordan Lucas. A guy whose game snaps have tumbled so he should be cheap.
[C Austin Reiter. This decision has been made due to C Mitch Morse's injury history; Reiter signed his new contract last month with a modest $700K bump/year.]

FAs, 16: Now we're getting to the heart of the matter because these players have been around and showed ability. These decisions will be harder since other teams can compete to pay them & there's always 1 team who will outbid you.
Edge Dee Ford. Oh shit, this is getting real now. He's a great asset but he's injured frequently. Do you tag him or try to extend him? Either way he'll get a significant bump in salary as he'll be in demand. $8.5-$9M/. Ouch.

DE Allen Bailey. 8 years with the Chiefs. Productive player & quality depth. 30 years old though. Short term deal or not?

TE Demetrius Harris. A jag TE but he's been a Chief for 5 years and has had decent production behind Kelce. Knows the system but he's a weed offender. 27 years old & entering his prime. Paid $2M/ the last few years. Is he worth a $1M/ increase (33.3%)?

WR Chris Conley. A jag WR stuck behind Hill, Watkins and Kelce as receivers. 2015 3rd round pick (76). Achilles injury in 2017. Never lived up to his promise. 61% catch rate and has had 5 career drops all in 2018. 4.35 40 though and a worthy back up. meh. 5 career TDs; 4 were this year. Easily replaced production but the kid is young and could break out if given the chance. He may want out. His $750K/ salary could double or triple in the open market.

C Mitch Morse. Another 2015 draft pick. Ranked 6th best C. Concussion and injury history. Solid when healthy. Is Reiter ready? Morse is due a healthy bump from his $1.1M/ rookie deal even if he takes a discount to center to Mahomes.

CB Steven Nelson. Yet another 2015 3rd rnd pick (98). Nelson has shown promise and ability with flashes of star potential. PFF's 28th ranked CB and he's KC's best CB. (He'd be the Pats 4th best, btw.) He's playing on a cheap 4yr/$3M rookie deal. 1 concussion and a hammy. He's a favorite for other teams to target but he has weathered the storm. Above avg. 25 year old CB who should get better. He was trade bait last year when Peters was traded. Andy Reid is damn glad now that Veach didn't trade him. He should get a huge raise in FA - $3M-$4M/. Whatcha think? I think Veach lets him walk at great risk to your secondary which is already thin.
S Ron Parker, CB Orlando Scandrick. Aging vets, jags at this point. meh.
But S and CB are both positions that need to be addressed.
WR DeAnthony Thomas. A promising 26 yr old PR/WR who suffered a broken leg in wk 5 and was put on IR. He signed a modest 1 yr FA deal that paid him $900K last yr after being drafted by the Chiefs in 2014.

RB Spencer Ware. 2017 knee injury and 2018 hammy wk 14. $1.5M in 2018. Made some plays after Hunt was released. Another position Veach will have to address. May not make it out of TC if he's re-signed since

RB Damien Williams is doing some work but he's also a FA. It keeps piling up, eh? Keep 1? Keep both? Veach will have some work to do to sign a starting caliber RB through the draft, FA or via trade.
4 other meh backups. OL Jordan Devey is a former Pat who is a career backup. G Jeff Allen is another jag backup who never lived up to his 2nd round (Chiefs, 2012) draft status. Spent 2016-2017 on the Texans and was placed on IR with concussions; released in July, picked up by the Chiefs in Oct. No thanks. OLB Frank Zombo. Who?

All these decisions are tough to make. The Chiefs will lose some of them and have to pay more for the ones they keep. Good players will be lost.

But the story gets more interesting in 2020 when 19 FAs will hit the market. WR Tyreek Hill is the big name here and he's expected to command $16M yearly. http://www.optimumscouting.com/nfl-free-agent-contract-projections
The cap doesn't go up enough to cover Hill's bump and you have the other 18 to worry about.

In 2021 Mahomes' 5th year option will cost the Chiefs about $25M.
Patrick Mahomes' fifth-year option will be expensive - Chiefs Wire

In 2022 Mahomes' FA contract will surely be higher than Aaron Rodgers' contract which is 4y/$134M with $98M guaranteed. Paying that much to 1 player puts a stranglehold on teams when trying to build a quality team around him.

Paying Mahomes and Hill in 2022 would cost the Chiefs an additional $45M for the very same players you have right now. Which 10 starters would you release right now to have the cap to pay them?

This is why the Patriots run in the salary cap era is held in such high regard around the league. No other team has been able to maintain excellence because of the cap. There's always a team willing to pay your FA more money. You lose great players every damn year.

They don’t care. *insert Chiefs Troll* “Andy Reid knows how to draft and Mahomes will take a pay cut because he’s all about the team and he wants to win 10 straight championships and stuff*

Oh? In 2011 Aaron Rodgers set the record for single season passer rating, and it wasn't close. He led his team to 14 wins and the #1 seed, was the runaway MVP. Since then, he:
- hasn't won the superbowl (including not winning it that year)
- Has never equaled or come close to that level of performance
- Has had worse and worse finishes, including missing the playoffs twice and a losing record this year.
- Has gotten a very talented, well regarded, Super Bowl winning coach fired (one with a better win loss record than Reid btw)
- Has demonstrated repeatedly that he's an insufferable asshole and a bit of locker room cancer

Having a great year doesn't guarantee *anything* as far as the future goes. You don't find out much about a guy when times are good and he's on his rookie contract. You've got 2 more years under his rookie contract (no way they hold out until the end of the 5th and risk free agency), so 3 chances including this year to get it done while he's cheap. The chiefs team 4 years from now will look very different from its current one.

And Andy Reid has had success before, with Philly. This isn't even his best year, that would be when he went 13-3 in Philly and made the Super Bowl, and lost. The next year he went 6-10. Never equaled that high water mark, and eventually got himself fired. What makes you think this time around is going to be different, or that your 60 year old head coach is going to stick around another 15 years?

You are counting a Lot of chickens, which not only haven't hatched yet, they aren't even eggs yet. The future will hold what it holds, but you had best not fail to savor this run, as in reality there are Zero guarantees another one like it will occur.

That's because their drafts over the years have been absolutely horrible.

Since 2010, they've had 1 first-round pick who's made a pro-bowl and he's not even on the team anymore.

That's because their drafts over the years have been absolutely horrible.

Since 2010, they've had 1 first-round pick who's made a pro-bowl and he's not even on the team anymore.

There are always reasons.

They don’t care. *insert Chiefs Troll* “Andy Reid knows how to draft and Mahomes will take a pay cut because he’s all about the team and he wants to win 10 straight championships and stuff*

It's a qb-driven league now.

Most of those players are expendable and can easily be replaced either through the draft or in FA.

It's a qb-driven league now.

Most of those players are expendable and can easily be replaced either through the draft or in FA.

Now I know you’re lying. Hill is the reason why teams have trouble stopping the Chiefs offense. Without him you’re 8-8

Now I know you’re lying. Hill is the reason why teams have trouble stopping the Chiefs offense. Without him you’re 8-8

Ya I was going to comment and then didn't. If it's a qb driven league how come the precious Packers didn't win the division with their saviour Aaron Rodgers? As much as I love Peyton Manning, he wouldn't have even sniffed the post season let alone the Super Bowl in 2015 without that defense. Colts lost a big chunk of their first 5 games because of so many drops. Need playmakers on both sides of the ball to compete. A qb can only take you so far. In rare cases win you a championship like Brady did, and possibly Mahomes. But it's extremely rare. Brees has had some VEEEEERY bad teams in his time with the Saints which is a big reason he has missed the playoffs so much even with putting up fantastic numbers.

when Mahomes gets to a AFC Championship game with a Retiring Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Jaber Gaffney, Doug Gabriel, Chad Jackson, and Kelvin Knight as his WR corps with Pizza paddle trio of Watson, Graham and Thomas as TE... Call me

when Mahomes gets to a AFC Championship game with a Retiring Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Jaber Gaffney, Doug Gabriel, Chad Jackson, and Kelvin Knight as his WR corps with Pizza paddle trio of Watson, Graham and Thomas as TE... Call me

wuv

Back