The Atheist Experience

RoadNasty

This Train'll Stop at Tucumcari
Reaction score
If you're not familiar with this program, here's one segment from a previous show. Matt Dilahunty is a very highly informed ex Christian minister with some terrific insights into the contradictions, imposed fears, superstitions, lies, and general BS that religion represents in today's society:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QGh-ImijNeY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TipRoast

Recall all the dreams that you once used to know
Reaction score
A little maze of twisting passages, all different.
If you're not familiar with this program, here's one segment from a previous show. Matt Dilahunty is a very highly informed ex Christian minister with some terrific insights into the contradictions, imposed fears, superstitions, lies, and general BS that religion represents in today's society
I have watched several of those on YouTube.

They're very well done, but after you've seen a few, they get a little repetitious. Not really the fault of the hosts - the callers throw out some softballs, and the hosts knock them out of the park.

There are a couple of them where callers suffered complete melt-downs - those were my favorites.

OP
RoadNasty

RoadNasty

Reaction score
True TIP regarding many of the calls that come in.

This segment features some of Matt's strongest logic responses, esp around the 8 min mark:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/15a3EQgmnXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
It is programs like this that confirm without a doubt that the Bible is the most
misunderstood book in the world.

OP
RoadNasty

RoadNasty

Reaction score

TipRoast

Reaction score
Yea, over the years, historians and researchers have exposed it for its incredible hypocrisy and ambiguity. Here's a list of some of its craziness:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/number.html
Don't know if you've seen this piece by Hitchens - it's worth the 10 minutes, IMHO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P1OvDTrXr4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
RoadNasty

RoadNasty

Reaction score
Don't know if you've seen this piece by Hitchens - it's worth the 10 minutes, IMHO.

Yea TIP, I have seen several videos by Christopher Hitchins- he was an amazing clear headed individual with a wealth of knowledge. His talks were always delivered with a unique twist of humor and that characteristic Hitch style - he's sorely missed.

Oswlek

Reaction score
Apparently you haven't slogged your way through Gravity's Rainbow.

Yeah, the implied idea that only believers "understand" the bible is pure nonsense.

What's amusing about that trope is that it fails even if you grant it. Given the supposed stakes, why would a god who cares desperately about us use such a convoluted tool that requires years of study to understand?

My personal favorite host/guest is Tracie Harris. I strongly encourage seeking out her material.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_dk0nAzYqYU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
RoadNasty

RoadNasty

Reaction score
My personal favorite host/guest is Tracie Harris. I strongly encourage seeking out her material.

Yes, can't agree more, Tracie is a delight to listen to, she's very well spoken with terrific insight into the history - and pure craziness - of organized religion. I think Matt and her make up the best combo on the show.

TipRoast

Reaction score
Yes, can't agree more, Tracie is a delight to listen to, she's very well spoken with terrific insight into the history - and pure craziness - of organized religion. I think Matt and her make up the best combo on the show.

Here's an article from today's Chicago Sun-Times - it's something that Tracie herself might have written.

tehmackdaddy

post tenebras lux
Reaction score

Oswlek

Reaction score
I scrolled through the list. The first one I clicked on was near the end on temptation and it did not disprove what it claims to.

I'm not a huge fan of the SAB - they are too liberal with the definition of "contradiction" and it casts doubt on the entire enterprise because of it - but if you are referring to Genesis then they are correct.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why otherwise intelligent human beings waste their efforts on attacking religion and faith.

It is my biggest irritiation with people I am otherwise a very big fan of. It is such a waste of time and energy from people with minds that could put it to far more productive use.

Mazz22

Age 43 and STILL playing like a champ
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why otherwise intelligent human beings waste their efforts on attacking religion and faith.

It is my biggest irritiation with people I am otherwise a very big fan of. It is such a waste of time and energy from people with minds that could put it to far more productive use.

Conviction. You have to disprove it is wrong otherwise you are accountable to an eternal God.

BTW, many people have come to faith through trying to disapprove it so I am all for people putting the work in even if their intent at the get go is to disprove it. Asking the questions is always the beginning of knowledge.

anderson

Awfully Cavalier
Reaction score
There's no need to prove anything wrong for reasons of "being held responsible to an eternal god" -- this variation of Pascal's Wager does not work either.

Baron Samedi

Russian Bot 762X54R
Reaction score
If only Galileo had spent more time trying to disprove religion and less time peeping through his telescope.

I find most atheists to be just as annoying as Jehova Witnesses. When did atheists all of a sudden become f*cking preachers and missionaries?

Shut the f*ck up and believe whatever you want to believe, and stop wasting everyone's time trying to disprove something that can't be disproven, and is entirely, 100% irrelevant to the real world in the first place, yet you waste all of your time and energy on it.

You atheist idiots spend more time on God than most religious people, for Chrissake, and you are just as annoying.

Oswlek

Reaction score

The Hitchens link above more than sufficiently answers this question.

---------- Post added at 08:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

If only Galileo had spent more time trying to disprove religion and less time peeping through his telescope.

I find most atheists to be just as annoying as Jehova Witnesses. When did atheists all of a sudden become f*cking preachers and missionaries?

Shut the f*ck up and believe whatever you want to believe, and stop wasting everyone's time trying to disprove something that can't be disproven, and is entirely, 100% irrelevant to the real world in the first place, yet you waste all of your time and energy on it.

You atheist idiots spend more time on God than most religious people, for Chrissake, and you are just as annoying.

This post demonstrates a complete misunderstanding of the atheist position.