The Bastard Executioner tonight @ 10ET on FX

Peachhead

Bite me!
Reaction score
Just a reminder: The Bastard Executioner, the new show from Kurt Sutter (creator of Sons of Anarchy, writer for The Shield) premieres tonight.

I'm really excited for this one. Didn't really get into SOA but really liked The Shield. I'm so far behind on my shows right now that I'm not sure when I'm going to find the time to watch it.

Some spoilers!

Eh, I'm gonna give it another episode or two to grab me. But IMO, so far it isn't up to Sutter's standards. Like a bad cross between Braveheart and the latest Robin Hood movies. This may be his first clunker. At least the first half I was having a hard time following the accents and flowery language.

Some other thoughts: That CGI dragon in the first scene was so cheesy.

And everything was named --shire.

Then when it was revealed who killed Wilkin's wife I was totally confused.

The person (guy?) with the sheep. Lol. I guess Sutter's gotta have a Tig-like sexually f'd up character here too. ;D

Plus Katey Sagal is in this as well? I loved her as Gemma, but so far I don't like her casting here. I hope she isn't going to do any of the singing for future episodes.

Wilkin wasn't happy when he was hired as the executioner for the enemy castle. If Wilkin wasn't planning on staying in the enemy castle and fighting it from within, why did he go there in the first place?

Plus Katey Sagal is in this as well? I loved her as Gemma, but so far I don't like her casting here. I hope she isn't going to do any of the singing for future episodes.

Well what is the point of being a writer/producer if you can't get your wife work?

SSDD

"The Bastard Executioner, writer of the Shield."

Is or isn't this about Goodell?

Eh, I'm gonna give it another episode or two to grab me. But IMO, so far it isn't up to Sutter's standards. Like a bad cross between Braveheart and the latest Robin Hood movies. This may be his first clunker. At least the first half I was having a hard time following the accents and flowery language.

Some other thoughts: That CGI dragon in the first scene was so cheesy.

And everything was named --shire.

Then when it was revealed who killed Wilkin's wife I was totally confused.

The person (guy?) with the sheep. Lol. I guess Sutter's gotta have a Tig-like sexually f'd up character here too. ;D

Wilkin wasn't happy when he was hired as the executioner for the enemy castle. If Wilkin wasn't planning on staying in the enemy castle and fighting it from within, why did he go there in the first place?

I can see why they made the premiere a two hour show....because if they had stopped after hour one I wouldn't have come back the next week for hour two. The first hour was just awful, in my opinion. The first hour was basically just a set up (which is fine), but there was just so much wrong with it that I was constantly being pulled out of the story with 'they screwed that up' moments. Additionally, I didn't like the theme song at all. Maybe it will grow on me.

The second hour was much better. I'll keep watching for now, but they have a long way to go. I've been so spoiled with AMC's Vikings and how they do their fight scenes that the battles in Executioner seemed like they were staged by someone in film school (though I did very much appreciate the guy that got stabbed in the a-hole...ouch!). This show seems too bright and colorful (camera work and costumes) for what it is supposed to be, in my opinion.

I'm really excited for this one. Didn't really get into SOA but really liked The Shield. I'm so far behind on my shows right now that I'm not sure when I'm going to find the time to watch it.

Same.

Never watched Breaking Bad so we ripped thru every season.

WAY behind on normally watched recorded stuff.

This was the absolute worst pile of dookie I've seen on a major network in a very long time. I literally turned it off less than 10 minutes in. The awful fight scene that finished with the dragony-demon thing that looked like my 6 year old animated it was bad enough that I needed to see no more. I felt like I had turned on an old episode of USA Up All Night, it was legitimately that bad.

This show seems too bright and colorful (camera work and costumes) for what it is supposed to be, in my opinion.

That right there. I've seen better "mood" and cinematography on a SyFy original.

Very disappointed but not going bail just yet.

Is anyone still watching this? Being that the thread was on page 9, I have my doubts.

I've stuck with it so far. It has gotten better, but still has a lot to be desired, IMO. Very disappointing after SOA. I'll probably at least watch the whole of the first season though.

I watched the first episode a few days ago. We are iffy on it, but may watch a few more.

I'm not sure shock value replaces content, but whatevs. I question a lot about characters decisions and motivations. It's not without merit though. Don't think I will watch any more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Is anyone still watching this? Being that the thread was on page 9, I have my doubts.

I've stuck with it so far. It has gotten better, but still has a lot to be desired, IMO. Very disappointing after SOA. I'll probably at least watch the whole of the first season though.

I'm still watching it. It's gotten a bit better IMO. But that's not saying much considering how bad it was at first.

I'm still watching. But in true Patriots fashion it's status is day-to-day.

I'm not sure shock value replaces content, but whatevs. I question a lot about characters decisions and motivations. It's not without merit though. Don't think I will watch any more

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I damn near quit after that craptacular first hour, but kept thinking 'Kurt Sutter can do much better than this'.

Hopefully he can, because these days there is so much quality programming available for people that their attention spans are noticeably short when it comes to a TV show ramping up its quality.

Back