The Brady Number

TipRoast

The years teach much which the days never know.
Reaction score
A few years ago (2015), I started a thread called The Belichick Number.

The basic idea is this: if a coach has 8 years in which his team wins 8 games or more his Belichick number is 8.

If a coach has 10 seasons where his team won 10 or more games, his Belichick number is 10.

When I posted the thread, BB's Belichick number was 11. However, it's now 12.

So what is the Brady Number?

It's the number of consecutive seasons with a certain number of victories.

Peyton Manning was able to get to 10 straight seasons of 10 or more victories.

This year, Brady posted 11 victories, and he has had 11 victories or more in each of the last 11 seasons.

For someone to get a Brady Number of 12, he would have to post 12 consecutive seasons with 12 or more victories. That, of course, will become easier if seasons get longer, but I think it will still be a while before we see someone come along with a Brady Number of 12 or more.

Of course, we don't have to look at only victories. The counterpart to the Belichick Number is the Fisher Number (see the thread referenced above for more on that).

I have chosen to call the counterpart to the Brady Number the Manning Number - it's named after Archie Manning. He had 8 straight seasons with 8 or more losses.

And just like the Fisher Number, it's really remarkable to have a high Manning Number. It's not often one sees coaches or players that get to hang around long enough to set records based on mediocrity.

If there's another QB with a higher Manning Number, please let me know.

Last edited:
Cool concept. I can't think of any QBs with a number that high. Rodgers had a terrible season a couple of seasons ago where he only won 6 games I think. Brees had three consecutive 7-9 seasons a few years back. I think Allen and Mahomes are the QBs to watch but I don't see anyone doing it anytime soon.

A few years ago (2015), I started a thread called The Belichick Number.

The basic idea is this: if a coach has 8 years in which his team wins 8 games or more his Belichick number is 8.

If a coach has 10 seasons where his team won 10 or more games, his Belichick number is 10.

When I posted the thread, BB's Belichick number was 11. However, it's now 12.

So what is the Brady Number?

It's the number of consecutive seasons with a certain number of victories.

Peyton Manning was able to get to 10 straight seasons of 10 or more victories.

This year, Brady posted 11 victories, and he has had 11 victories or more in each of the last 11 seasons.

For someone to get a Brady Number of 12, he would have to post 12 consecutive seasons with 12 or more victories. That, of course, will become easier if seasons get longer, but I think it will still be a while before we see someone come along with a Brady Number of 12 or more.

Of course, we don't have to look at only victories. The counterpart to the Belichick Number is the Fisher Number (see the thread referenced above for more on that).

I have chosen to call the counterpart to the Brady Number the Manning Number - it's named after Archie Manning. He had 8 straight seasons with 8 or more losses.

And just like the Fisher Number, it's really remarkable to have a high Manning Number. It's not often one sees coaches or players that get to hang around long enough to set records based on mediocrity.

If there's another QB with a higher Manning Number, please let me know.
This doesn't alter TOM's number, but it might be worth mentioning That Tom also has a total of 12 seasons with 12 or more wins and an absurd 18 seasons with 10 or more wins.

And your concept, years in a row of x or greater, is fun and genius (ie tells a ton).

Cheers

so would someone like Fran Tarkenton's Manning number be 7? he had 11 seasons where he lost 7 or more games...

This doesn't alter TOM's number, but it might be worth mentioning That Tom also has a total of 12 seasons with 12 or more wins and an absurd 18 seasons with 10 or more wins.

And your concept, years in a row of x or greater, is fun and genius (ie tells a ton).

Cheers
One thing I've been meaning to look up is that, in 20 years, Brady's never been worse than 2 games over .500 for a season. Has any other player (at any position) played on a winning team for 20 consecutive seasons? I'd highly doubt it.

Brady is almost a cinch to finish his career having had a winning record in every season he's played in. "Remarkable" does not even do that stat justice.

so would someone like Fran Tarkenton's Manning number be 7? he had 11 seasons where he lost 7 or more games...
Too lazy to look, but only if its 11 consecutive seasons.

Cheers

As BT mentioned, the Manning Number is the number of consecutive seasons with a certain number of losses.

Tarkenton's Manning Number is 5, I think. But he played almost entirely in the 14-game season era. It's quite possible he could have had a higher Manning Number if he had been starting 16 games for some of those Giants teams.

Back